The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeoPaul
Zoe? I also got a scholarship to study Msc Petroleum Geoscience at Imperial, but from Total instead. It is extremely competitive. We were told that out of roughly 1500 applicants there were only 60 places and then only 7 scholarships available. If you want a scholarship you need to have a 1st, good work experience and just something that makes you stand out from other people. But, at the moment the oil price is crashing which makes it even more difficult..

Yes! I saw the post on Facebook which evidently piqued my interest as I'm in my final year of A levels and will be doing a geology degree next year. I was offered a place for Bsc Geology at Imperial but after 3 visits just couldn't hack living in London yet, but have been having dreams about their Msci courses and hope to apply again there once I finish my bachelors.

Was there a particular process you had to do to get the scholarship or was it more the result of showing good potential and achieving highly during the course?
Also without doing a year in industry, is summer work experience enough?
Reply 441
Original post by NimbleNeil
Yes! I saw the post on Facebook which evidently piqued my interest as I'm in my final year of A levels and will be doing a geology degree next year. I was offered a place for Bsc Geology at Imperial but after 3 visits just couldn't hack living in London yet, but have been having dreams about their Msci courses and hope to apply again there once I finish my bachelors.

Was there a particular process you had to do to get the scholarship or was it more the result of showing good potential and achieving highly during the course?
Also without doing a year in industry, is summer work experience enough?

That's a shame. I'm doing my undergrad at UCL and I have to say, having lived in London I really couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Well when you apply to Imperial they will put forward the best applications to have interviews for scholarship. Me and Zoe both had interviews. In total there were 18 interviews for scholarships and only 7 available, of which me and Zoe were lucky enough to get 2. Summer work experience is definitely enough. Make it worthwhile though. Don't just do work experience for the sake of it. Find something relevant to you that you can enjoy and learn things from. I only had one summer placement - I went to China and spent two months as a research assistant in a university. I also did a year abroad in Canada so that helps. Make sure you do your undergrad mapping project, and go on as many fieldtrips as you can. Get good grades and just do things you can talk about. The rest is up to you :smile:
Original post by GeoPaul
Zoe? I also got a scholarship to study Msc Petroleum Geoscience at Imperial, but from Total instead. It is extremely competitive. We were told that out of roughly 1500 applicants there were only 60 places and then only 7 scholarships available. If you want a scholarship you need to have a 1st, good work experience and just something that makes you stand out from other people. But, at the moment the oil price is crashing which makes it even more difficult..

Would it not be better just to leave the UK for a career in Petroleum Geoscience? I mean, I know the situation globally is dire but I thought at least elsewhere it's not as bad.
Reply 443
Original post by Shane Webb
Would it not be better just to leave the UK for a career in Petroleum Geoscience? I mean, I know the situation globally is dire but I thought at least elsewhere it's not as bad.

Well not really. Oil is a global commodity. The current issue in the industry is a price crash. This is the result of conventional OPEC producers making it difficult for countries like the USA to market their unconventional oil supplies at profitable prices.

The North Sea oil industry is getting exhausted, but there's always the issue of a retiring skilled workforce and therefore there's always room for younger entrants into the industry. As a petroleum geologist it's really easy to work abroad in places like Norway or West Africa anyway.
Help please :smile:

I've applied for Geology at Leicester, Manchester and Durham... Regardless of offers at this stage, which would you all recommend and why? I'm considering doing a BSc(Hons) at one uni, then MSc at another - or would staying at the same uni be a better option?

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 445
Original post by ClaireFad
Help please :smile:

I've applied for Geology at Leicester, Manchester and Durham... Regardless of offers at this stage, which would you all recommend and why? I'm considering doing a BSc(Hons) at one uni, then MSc at another - or would staying at the same uni be a better option?

Thanks!

I would think Durham is the best out of those three. Leicester and Manchester also have good programmes but there are definitely better universities. I wouldn't even be thinking about an MSc now, but there is no reason to remain at any of the universities you've named to do one. Apply elsewhere, even to the US (Where they pay you to do a masters). It shows you're adaptable :smile:
Original post by GeoPaul
I would think Durham is the best out of those three. Leicester and Manchester also have good programmes but there are definitely better universities. I wouldn't even be thinking about an MSc now, but there is no reason to remain at any of the universities you've named to do one. Apply elsewhere, even to the US (Where they pay you to do a masters). It shows you're adaptable :smile:

There is an advantage in doing a 4 year integrated MSc straight away because you then have funding in place from your student loan. You can always choose to trade down to a BSc when you are there and just do 3 years. Of your choices Durham is higher in the league tables, so I would go there. Straight MSc student loans are limited to £10,000 for tuition and living costs.
Thanks :smile: any thoughts on Leeds? Is it relatively simple to apply to a Masters in the US, provided my results are good?
Original post by Oxfordians13
There is an advantage in doing a 4 year integrated MSc straight away because you then have funding in place from your student loan. You can always choose to trade down to a BSc when you are there and just do 3 years. Of your choices Durham is higher in the league tables, so I would go there. Straight MSc student loans are limited to £10,000 for tuition and living costs.

Thanks for that :smile: If I applied for the 4 year funding, do you think it would be possible to transfer it to another University if I opted to do my Masters elsewhere? I definitely do want to do my Masters, so not too worried to downgrade :smile: Any thoughts on Leeds?

Thanks any thoughts on Leeds? Is it relatively simple to apply to a Masters in the US, provided my results are good?
Thanks for that :smile: If I applied for the 4 year funding, do you think it would be possible to transfer it to another University if I opted to do my Masters elsewhere? I definitely do want to do my Masters, so not too worried to downgrade :smile: Any thoughts on Leeds?

No you can't transfer at that stage. Leeds is a very good course and is a nice student city, with cheap housing etc. It doesn't have the collegiate system that Durham has and that many people like.
No you can't transfer at that stage. Leeds is a very good course and is a nice student city, with cheap housing etc. It doesn't have the collegiate system that Durham has and that many people like.

Thanks for your help!! Which course do you rate is better? I like the collegiate system; but I also like the Leeds course with the year abroad... Durham has made an offer, but nothing from Leeds yet.
Reply 452
Thanks for your help!! Which course do you rate is better? I like the collegiate system; but I also like the Leeds course with the year abroad... Durham has made an offer, but nothing from Leeds yet.

I've got offers from Leeds and Durham, and I'm probably going to go with Durham

You can do a year abroad with Durham, they just don't list it on UCAS.
Original post by Ruszty
I've got offers from Leeds and Durham, and I'm probably going to go with Durham

Ahh nice, Did you have an interview with Leeds and for which course at leeds
Reply 455
Original post by Johnstond
Ahh nice, Did you have an interview with Leeds and for which course at leeds

Yeah I did have one, its geological sciences with year abroad (MGeol) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 456
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
You can do a year abroad with Durham, they just don't list it on UCAS.

Can you? I can't see it anywhere on the website or anything
Original post by Ruszty
Can you? I can't see it anywhere on the website or anything

I know! I emailled the International Office at Durham and I was referred to Dr Stuart Jones who is the responsible person for the year abroad scheme in the Earth Science Dept.

''Thank you for your e-mmail and very pleased that you have sought clarification. Yes it is correct we do not offer a degree programme with a specific UCAS code for a year abroad, but we most certainly do offer our undergraduates the opportunity to study abroad for one year. This opportunity is open to all degree programmes as offered by the Department of Earth Sciences.''
Reply 458
I haven't applied to the USA myself but I'm sure it's not too difficult. I would say Leeds and Durham are pretty similar and are best out of the ones you mentioned. Leeds has a very good environment for undergrads and they definitely seem to put a focus on teaching (rather than some unis where the lecturers are engrossed in their research). The earth and environment department at Leeds is one of the stronger departments of the uni, and as someone else mentioned, rent is cheap, nightlife is good. It's a good place to be a student!
Original post by GeoPaul
I haven't applied to the USA myself but I'm sure it's not too difficult. I would say Leeds and Durham are pretty similar and are best out of the ones you mentioned. Leeds has a very good environment for undergrads and they definitely seem to put a focus on teaching (rather than some unis where the lecturers are engrossed in their research). The earth and environment department at Leeds is one of the stronger departments of the uni, and as someone else mentioned, rent is cheap, nightlife is good. It's a good place to be a student!

Thanks for that :smile: I think I'm going to firm Durham then, and if Leeds gives me an offer, put them down as my insurance... I guess I'll look into the Master's at a later date then, and talk it out with the advisors first. I'm keen to get out as much as possible though, rather than staying in one place.

Quick Reply

Latest