The Student Room Group

Is it okay to start uni at age 20?

Because of abuse and depression I failed last year, and can't take exams next year. I'm scared and embarrassed, I don't know if people will think I'm a failure like my family do.

Scroll to see replies

It's perfectly fine. We have 2 guys in their 30's on our course. I started when i was 19.
20 isn't bad at all.
I will be turning 20 a week into uni and yeah it will feel strange but everyone is saying its normal to be older.
It's fine to start at 20! I just started at 20 and turned 21 a week later :smile:
Reply 4
Of course it is ok. At 20, you aren't even classed as a mature student yet. I didn't start uni until I was 21 due to health reasons so I was classed as a mature student then and tbh, I was still one of the youngest in my group. Most of the people were in their late 20s/early 30s and even had people in their 40s and 50s in the course. Age is nothing when it comes to uni.
Nothing wrong with it, there are definitely people older than that at my Uni and it's not even considered an age for mature students you'll be fine, are you getting help for your depression?
Reply 6
I'm starting uni at 20 this September. I also failed my first time but I wouldn't have it any other way.
It gave me the time I needed to mature and choose the course I'm going to enjoy and hopefully do well in.
I have made friends in the past with people 3/4 years older and none of us really thought about our age difference. It will be the same for you in uni.
Don't look at it as failing, look at it as an experience. At least you had your wobble during A levels and not your degree which is less forgiving.
It's 2 years later than you were expecting to go, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i started when I was 23 because I worked full time before going back to college, no one cares how old you are at uni and weve got a few 30+ year olds in our classes. its not a college or school level mentality where youll be constantly questioned or made fun of if they notice or find out youre older.
Age is just a number.
i am 20 and will be starting uni in september!
I'm 20 too and will be going to uni in September (in my country you only finish school when you're 19 and I spent a year abroad) and I'm quite scared tbh, but I don't think people will actually care... Don't worry, I'm sure there will be people round your age and nobody will think you're a failure!
Original post by plumbaby
Because of abuse and depression I failed last year, and can't take exams next year. I'm scared and embarrassed, I don't know if people will think I'm a failure like my family do.

I'm going to be just turned twenty one when I start. It's not something you should be embarrassed about - you should be proud, that you've been through this and still managed to persevere and go to university. :hugs:

What are you planning on doing and where? :smile:
Absolutely fine - I was about to turn 20 when I started - and it didn't make a jot of difference to my time at university :nah:

There was even a woman who I think was in her 60s in one of my modules - she had grey hair! She looked like she was loving life though :yep:
I started at 20 and am now in my second year - lots of people have done a gap year (or years!) so the age difference is really not that significant, I wouldn't worry about it :smile:

I failed my A Levels twice, now I am 21 but still I am trying. Don't feel bad, just keep trying and you will eventually reach there :smile:
It's absolutely fine hun, and the fact that you still want to go to Uni is good. My good friend went to Uni at 20, there will be people older than you too, so don't worry :h:
Attachment not found

And you should look at this with regards to how your parents see you.

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
i started just before i was 21
We have people on our course who are 40s/50s because they've had a change of mind later on in their career - 20 is nothing :tongue: Best of luck with Uni :h:
of course :smile: i was essentially 20, as my birthday was in october and i had a gap year the previous year. no one even knew i was 20 until i even told them/they saw on facebook! its honestly a non issue so dont worry about it

Started at 19. Turned 20 end of first term

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending