The Student Room Group

GCSE equivalency test

Scroll to see replies

image.jpg
Reply 41
Hi L,

I see. Examiners advised that most students have timing problems and spent too much time for reading sections.

When I took exam, I followed the recommended spent hours for each section. I incompleted some answers but I answered every questions. Instead of getting perfect answer for a few questions, try to be balance quality and quantity. Hope this technique might help you.

S
Thank you!
Hi S
So did I
Spent too much time on reading and annotating the text... In detriment of writing😓
Thank you for your tips
Hi everybody!
Is anyone doing the equivalency GCSE English today? Some advise and feedback would be great!! Thx
Hi everyone!
Anyone sat the GCSE English equivalency on the 5 th September ?
Some feedback would be really helpful
Thx
Reply 46
[QUOTE="L;59142411" Studenta="Studenta"]Hi everyone!
Anyone sat the GCSE English equivalency on the 5 th September ?
Some feedback would be really helpful
Thx[/QUOTE
Hi hope all is fine with you ,
Are you going to do your exam this week ?
Hi Gheena
No
I'm waiting for my result first that should come next week
Anyway, want to be prepared if worse comes the worst....Therefore, please keep in touch as you said you'd be doing yours again next week
Hope you're ok. Best of luck!
Did you find something about exams on 25/26 of August?
Thx
Reply 48
Original post by Studenta L
Hi Gheena
No
I'm waiting for my result first that should come next week
Anyway, want to be prepared if worse comes the worst....Therefore, please keep in touch as you said you'd be doing yours again next week
Hope you're ok. Best of luck!
Did you find something about exams on 25/26 of August?
Thx

Thank you,I will keep in touch for sure.
Please if you find anything about 25/26 exams let me know.
Definitely
Best of luck!
HivGheena
I've got my results yesterday... I passed the exam!!!! Just wanted to tell you to do same as I did, start with the questions Worthing most of the marks like poetry and the piece of writing(20+10 marks)
Do the reading questions last as isost likely to spend too much time on them if you start with
Also,is ok if you leave some answers incomplete as long as you cover all questions
Once again, best of luck
Looking forward to hearing good news from you! X
Reply 51
Original post by Studenta L
image.jpg

Hi, I am reading through this tread as I need to pass this exam too. How many books did you have?
I so far wrote out a list to buy which includes:

Complete revision & practice
This which you pictured here - Revision Guide
and for extra help with poetry Unseen poetry book

Will that be enough?
How long did it take you to prepare for this exam? I know for a while I have to do it, but I am also doing a math SKE course and really dont have much time left for the English.

Also I think I should book a date otherwise I will keep postponing it and I dont want much stress for the summer. :smile:
Reply 52
Hi L,

Your books should be enough as long as you study them well and you can apply your skills.
Poem questions depend on your luck. I read a lot of poems. But I have never seen the poems in my exam. Luckily I could apply the skills I gained by studying other poems.

I was working that time and so I took 3 months for exam. Its up to you. But I recommend you to take exam not later than 1 month before SKE.

S
Reply 53
Original post by syhtun
Hi L,

Your books should be enough as long as you study them well and you can apply your skills.
Poem questions depend on your luck. I read a lot of poems. But I have never seen the poems in my exam. Luckily I could apply the skills I gained by studying other poems.

I was working that time and so I took 3 months for exam. Its up to you. But I recommend you to take exam not later than 1 month before SKE.

S

I am too late for that since I am on SKE already. :smile: I am planning to leave a few month for preparation. I am working too and have a 5 years old son so very busy.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I guess I will have to start to manage my time better. :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Gheena
Thank you,I will keep in touch for sure.
Please if you find anything about 25/26 exams let me know.

Did you pass your exam on your second attempt? I am scared of this exam as English is also just a second language for me.
Reply 55
Hi L,

I have 5yrs old daughter too...it wasnt easy with work n babysitting my daughter. Great you already attend SKE. So u ve more time.

I passed at my first attempt and got grade B.

Please also watch MrBuff on Youtube.He explained contents and exam approach. It was useful.

S
Reply 56
Original post by syhtun
Hi L,

I have 5yrs old daughter too...it wasnt easy with work n babysitting my daughter. Great you already attend SKE. So u ve more time.

I passed at my first attempt and got grade B.

Please also watch MrBuff on Youtube.He explained contents and exam approach. It was useful.

S

yes I have him on my list of sources. :smile: I read through this thread and noted every advice down. My SKE runs till the end of summer. Hopefully I can handle the two together. :smile:
Reply 57
Anyone took exam with Brighton university can please tell me if they had poetry section or they only had reading and writing section.
Reply 58
Original post by syhtun
Hi L,

I see. Examiners advised that most students have timing problems and spent too much time for reading sections.

When I took exam, I followed the recommended spent hours for each section. I incompleted some answers but I answered every questions. Instead of getting perfect answer for a few questions, try to be balance quality and quantity. Hope this technique might help you.

S

Hi, can you please tell me if Brighton university had a poetry section in their equivalency test as they say follow the Aqa GCSE English language syllabus that doesn't include poetry.
Reply 59
I took Brighton exam and there was no potery section in exam paper. But be aware - when I enquiried them prior to exam, they advised me that they could not gurantee either potery in exam or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending