The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by omgwhat
Yeah you're right! Hopefully there are some useful perks to wherever I end up. Tbh I don't mind as much now, it's a very superficial problem if at all! I'm glad to have gotten in. :tongue: I can't wait to hear about funding though - I'm not expecting it as a student of the arts but wouldn't it just be the nicest surprise?

p.s The student room just changed.. it looks strange now. :unimpressed:

Good luck with everything! And take comfort in the fact that the great majority of people seem to love the college they end up in, even if it wasn't one of their initial two choices - each one has its pluses and its downsides.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1541
My application is still in the "under consideration by degree commitee" phase, although I was told I will receive acceptance letter during interview a week ago. Ah, this process is nerve-wrecking and I am actually getting paranoid that they will reject me despite the interview...
Original post by matt.3pehr
Got a conditional offer for the MPhil in Development Studies! Any potential course mates out there?

I think I've seen quite a lot of DevStudies MPhils around this thread.
Reply 1543
Omg, changed to "Awaiting decision by BOGS" this minute!
Original post by d1993
Omg, changed to "Awaiting decision by BOGS" this minute!

Congrats! :smile:
Reply 1545
Original post by Aceadria
Congrats! :smile:

Thank you very much. It's quite unfortunate that I will probably not receive funding due to a bad personal statement. I hate to admit this, but at the time when I applied I did not know about the importance of these statements in Anglophone world, as I have never encountered this in East European educational system. My bad. It is basically just a number of awards for which I would like to be considered for and my academic standing. Such a shame, given that my research proposal was being spoken of very highly by the head of dept. But we will see.
Original post by LeeGend
Congratulations! When did you apply out of interest?

A day before the deadline (i.e. 5th Jan) xxx
Original post by Phate18
I just got an email inviting me to a Skype interview for AHRC funding for the MPhil in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics!

Excited but also nervous. The interviewers are a syntactician and a computational linguist, which are probably the two fields that are the furthers from what I would like to do (comparative Indo-European philology). Maybe that's a good thing?

Me too, same degree. When is yours? Would you be willing to share your profile? :smile:
I don't know much about colleges? Is Queens' college nice overall? Thanks
Original post by paninikaka

Nice college and good location.
Reply 1550

Lovely.
Nice college and good location.

Original post by sj27
Lovely.

Thanks guys.

Do you happen to know about career prospect of graduates from MPhil in Finance and in Finance and Economics in financial sector, except from things on the department website? It is ideal if you really know some real examples. I mean, of course, a degree itself is not the whole story but could the 'Cambridge' brand help me to knock the door of top companies?
Thanks guys.

Do you happen to know about career prospect of graduates from MPhil in Finance and in Finance and Economics in financial sector, except from things on the department website? It is ideal if you really know some real examples. I mean, of course, a degree itself is not the whole story but could the 'Cambridge' brand help me to knock the door of top companies?

Rationally, one could only assume that it would open many doors, but one can never know for certain unless one has a close relative working in human resources at a big financial firm.
Thanks guys.

Sounds simple but you can always google the course title with "linkedin" on the end and see what recent graduates are now up to. That said, it's an MSc in Finance at Cambridge - the career prospects will be excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EconomistJack
Sounds simple but you can always google the course title with "linkedin" on the end and see what recent graduates are now up to. That said, it's an MSc in Finance at Cambridge - the career prospects will be excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Alexander I
Rationally, one could only assume that it would open many doors, but one can never know for certain unless one has a close relative working in human resources at a big financial firm.

Both make sense for me but I think Linkedin is worth to try. Thanks.
I am just wondering how advantageous is it to be a Cambridge graduate applying for a Ph.D. I am not talking here about acceptance. As acceptance is probably guaranteed. I am talking about funding (Trust Scholarships). I know that many factors come into play, but... let's say both candidates have an MPhil grade of >75% grade (Distinction), and first class undergraduate degree. I am talking here about top level students. Do you think the trust might favor a Cambridge graduate over a another candidate? All else held equal? Moreover, what do you think are the minimum grades required to be competitive for a scholarship. I know research experience and fit are important factors, but I cannot really quantify those. I hope people can provide feedback based on experience.

I apologize if you don't like this type of questions, however I am interested in knowing some details about the selection process, if someone knows any.
Reply 1556
Thanks guys.

I worked in the sector a long time so I know plenty of real world people in it :wink: . Of course you need to perform well in interviews to get a job, but the Cambridge brand definitely opens a lot of doors - as do Oxford and LSE. You get people from all sorts of unis of course, but especially for newer graduates brand name helps a lot. But again - it helps to open a door to an interview, it's up to you to get further.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks guys.

Original post by sj27
I worked in the sector a long time so I know plenty of real world people in it :wink: . Of course you need to perform well in interviews to get a job, but the Cambridge brand definitely opens a lot of doors - as do Oxford and LSE. You get people from all sorts of unis of course, but especially for newer graduates brand name helps a lot. But again - it helps to open a door to an interview, it's up to you to get further.

What sj27 said is spot on. I used to work in Asset Management and the Oxbridge name helped a lot of people get noticed but it did little to help them get a job there (interview and likeability were far more important).

Just a side note, please don't underestimate the importance of networking (Linkedin, for example). Learn to meet people and build a strong network in and around finance. The Cambridge name will help, but with the hundreds of applicants for every job, brand name will only get you so far.
What sj27 said is spot on. I used to work in Asset Management and the Oxbridge name helped a lot of people get noticed but it did little to help them get a job there (interview and likeability were far more important).Just a side note, please don't underestimate the importance of networking (Linkedin, for example). Learn to meet people and build a strong network in and around finance. The Cambridge name will help, but with the hundreds of applicants for every job, brand name will only get you so far.

I can vouch for this. I know many people from my UG university, which was pretty average, whom a lot of now work in the financial sector. Grades get you in the door, personal skills and technique gets you through the interview.

Having completed the interview, On the SIS page how long does it take to advance from "To be Interviewed" to the next stage or rejection?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SamuelJK
I am just wondering how advantageous is it to be a Cambridge graduate applying for a Ph.D. I am not talking here about acceptance. As acceptance is probably guaranteed. I am talking about funding (Trust Scholarships). I know that many factors come into play, but... let's say both candidates have an MPhil grade of >75% grade (Distinction), and first class undergraduate degree. I am talking here about top level students. Do you think the trust might favor a Cambridge graduate over a another candidate? All else held equal? Moreover, what do you think are the minimum grades required to be competitive for a scholarship. I know research experience and fit are important factors, but I cannot really quantify those. I hope people can provide feedback based on experience.

I apologize if you don't like this type of questions, however I am interested in knowing some details about the selection process, if someone knows any.

Also, you should ask Cambridge Trust if you haven't done it.
I'd think you'll get more accurate reply than from random strangers in Internet forum, especially on how they assess and select the scholarship candidates.

And for PhD, many people get funding (including scholarship) from many other public/private organisation in the relevant industry, on top of or rather than directly from Cambridge. Have you looked at the possibility in that too?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending