The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nech
so everyone is sitting different tests? i dont get the system

Me neither, I just know I was faced with everything I didn't expect.
Reply 281
Original post by Icandoscience
Me neither, I just know I was faced with everything I didn't expect.

was it totally different to the practice tests? like how was it different!? gulp
Original post by nech
was it totally different to the practice tests? like how was it different!? gulp

The format was the same like loads of data and questions on it. It was just the difficulty was way up there compared to the practice test...and just the way the questions were worded I wasn't quite sure what they were after...I spent most the time limit trying to figure it out. But as I say I think the tests are a bit random so others may have a different experience
Reply 283
The format was the same like loads of data and questions on it. It was just the difficulty was way up there compared to the practice test...and just the way the questions were worded I wasn't quite sure what they were after...I spent most the time limit trying to figure it out. But as I say I think the tests are a bit random so others may have a different experience

thanks.. yikes!
Please don't get yourself stressed. I must add though my test had no economic terms on it whatsoever...I think the tests are a bit random. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Thanks :smile: I even thought about covering the timer with a post it or something so I'm not fixating on it and just do the question. Best thing to do is just get it out the way!
Got the courage today to hit submit and do the tests - nice to have it done!

A few notes for those concerned about struggling on the tests - the tests are adaptive which means if you get a question right it gives you a harder one next, so you're supposed to feel challenged throughout - the difficulty of the questions is tailored to your own skill level this way. So everyone should feel they were tough as they should be around your individual limit. It also means it is hard to predict how well you do, because it's not just a simple "6/12 score" for example.. so try not to stress!

As for when we find out, last year 2 days after the deadline I was told I'd passed the online tests (aka my status changed to 'longlisted'). I'd expect similar this year. I don't believe you find out immediately if you fail anymore, as it depends how well everyone else did as to what the cut-off is. From previous years stats it seems to chop off the bottom 30% or so of applicants.

I think this stage would be the worst to fail at because then all the hard work on the app doesn't even get read. Myself I'm nervous about the maths one as I know a lot of stupid mistakes that I made, but just doing my best to put it out of my mind until after the deadline. Just got to cross my fingers (and toes). Good luck everyone!
When do we have to the aptitude tests by?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we need references? If so how many? And how do I do the online practise tests? Are there any links??
Original post by Samohamoud1
When do we have to the aptitude tests by?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Next monday by 5pm I believe.
Original post by Hazel92
Do we need references? If so how many? And how do I do the online practise tests? Are there any links??

You need 3 references and you can practice the tests here: www.trytalentq.com :smile:
Original post by gapyearstudent
You need 3 references and you can practice the tests here: www.trytalentq.com :smile:

Thank you so much! Is there an outline of what the reference should include? And the sort of referees to use?
Original post by emm18
Nope! They really give you nothing other than a shortlist score, which is still hard to figure out the meaning tbh. Basically, the general advice is to go away and do something in the year to give you more experience. They have about 8000 applicants in total so it's difficult to give feedback to them all.

My Masters is MSc Prenatal Genetics and Fetal Medicine at UCL and I think it's been invaluable!

Hi! I've just been accepted for this masters, don't suppose you could answer a few questions of mine?
Original post by Hazel92
Thank you so much! Is there an outline of what the reference should include? And the sort of referees to use?

I think it said your current or most recent line manager and then two others from your last 2 years of employment. I put down my current manager, my placement supervisor and a university tutor if that helps?
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't worry about telling your references what to put, they won't be contacted unless you get an offer, and it will be by your employing trust. I'm pretty sure they send out some sort of form for them to fill in. Just make sure they'll be around over the summer, as it can delay getting everything sorted out for you starting if they can't get hold of your references.
Reply 294
Original post by gapyearstudent
I think it said your current or most recent line manager and then two others from your last 3 years of employment. I put down my current manager, my placement supervisor and a university tutor if that helps?

where did u see deets on what the references should be?
Original post by nech
where did u see deets on what the references should be?

It's at the top of the page where you enter your references
Original post by MrB810
If you haven't pressed submit when you run out of time it will automatically submit whatever answer you have selected

Thanks
I've just done the logical assessment, wow! Do we know straight away if it has went REALLY bad? I would rather know, so I can move on and apply for other things :frown:
Oh my life, that maths test was the worst test I have EVER done. That's definitely blown me out the competition, agh.
Original post by a6georgia1
Oh my life, that maths test was the worst test I have EVER done. That's definitely blown me out the competition, agh.

Was it really horrific? Too much information etc? I've just done logical, and ended up choosing a few at random so I guess I've not got much chance :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest