The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

The lad himself. Big up to us self-teaching bros, we'll get through it in the end. How did you find your Jan exams?

(If STEP does go south, which it won't, It'd be awesome to see you at Warwick mate)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 141
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

Do you have a favourite reduction formulae question? :biggrin:
Reply 142
Original post by Zacken
Who said I got high physics grades?

Well if you got a offer from cambridge and they think your going to get a A*/A you must be doing well
Reply 143
Original post by Princepieman
The lad himself. Big up to us self-teaching bros, we'll get through it in the end. How did you find your Jan exams?

(If STEP does go south, which it won't, It'd be awesome to see you at Warwick mate)

Haven't seen you around in a while, what's new? Congrats on the purple. Self-teaching lads ftw.

Jan exams were mainly okay, messed M3, floundered one question in M2 - missed a few marks in S2, etc...

You've firmed Warwick, then?
Reply 144
Original post by Ko 20
Well if you got a offer from cambridge and they think your going to get a A*/A you must be doing well

Fair. I wouldn't really take revision tips from me. I haven't taken notes in years. Just watch online lectures on youtube and do past papers is how I roll, I can't see that being optimal for a lot of people though.
Original post by Zacken
Haven't seen you around in a while, what's new? Congrats on the purple. Self-teaching lads ftw.

Jan exams were mainly okay, messed M3, floundered one question in M2 - missed a few marks in S2, etc...

You've firmed Warwick, then?

Haha, it's been a while man. Just quit my part time job on Sunday so it's nose to brimstone (a.k.a no-lifing) from now until exam season. Apart from that, not much else! Thanks, I feel somewhat powerful now :colone:

Good to hear - you've smashed them no doubt. Ach, a few marks won't mean much, as long as you gave it your best shot.

I would, if Bristol actually got back to me (coming up on 5 months of waiting now)!!!
Original post by Zacken
Do you have a favourite reduction formulae question? :biggrin:

It's difficult choosing one in particular, but I really love it when I can do the algebraic ones like these :colondollar:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \[I_{n} =\int_{0}^{1}x^{n}\sqrt{(1-x^{2})}\mathrm{d}x

Show that,

\displaystyle (n+2)I_{n}=(n-1)I_{n-2}\]

Not STEP standard, but it's decent for FP3 level!

Edit: I attached the screenshots before but they didn't seem to upload on the preview so I latex'ed the integral later. You can ignore them :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 147
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

In=01xn1x2dx=01xn1x1x2dx\displaystyle I_n = \int_0^1 x^n \sqrt{1-x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^1 x^{n-1} \cdot x \sqrt{1-x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x.

Using Integration by Parts with u=xn1u = x^{n-1} and v=131x2(1x2)dxv = -\frac{1}{3}\sqrt{1-x^2}(1-x^2) \, \mathrm{d}x we have:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}I_n = \frac{n-1}{3} \int_0^1 x^{n-2} \sqrt{1-x^2} (1-x ) \, \mathrm{d}x \iff I_n = \frac{n-1}{3} I_{n-2} - \frac{n-2}{3}I_n\end{equation*}

So, some re-arranging yields:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}3I_n + (n-1)I_n = (n-1)I_{n-2} \iff (n+2)I_n = (n-1)I_{n-2}\end{equation*}

Aww yiss, this was lovely. Many thanks. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
In=01xn1x2dx=01xn1x1x2dx\displaystyle I_n = \int_0^1 x^n \sqrt{1-x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^1 x^{n-1} \cdot x \sqrt{1-x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x.

Using Integration by Parts with u=xn1u = x^{n-1} and v=131x2(1x2)dxv = -\frac{1}{3}\sqrt{1-x^2}(1-x^2) \, \mathrm{d}x we have:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}I_n = \frac{n-1}{3} \int_0^1 x^{n-2} \sqrt{1-x^2} (1-x ) \, \mathrm{d}x \iff I_n = \frac{n-1}{3} I_{n-2} - \frac{n-2}{3}I_n\end{equation*}

So, some re-arranging yields:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}3I_n + (n-1)I_n = (n-1)I_{n-2} \iff (n+2)I_n = (n-1)I_{n-2}\end{equation*}

Aww yiss, this was lovely. Many thanks. :smile:

Nice. Do you know this one? If

In=1+1(1x2)ncos(αx)dx\displaystyle I_n = \int_{-1}^{+1} (1-x^2)^n \cos(\alpha x) \mathrm{d} x

show that

α2In=2n(2n1)In14n(n1)In2\displaystyle \alpha^2 I_n = 2n(2n-1) I_{n-1} - 4n(n-1)I_{n-2}
Reply 149
Original post by Gregorius

In=1+1(1x2)ncos(αx)dx\displaystyle I_n = \int_{-1}^{+1} (1-x^2)^n \cos(\alpha x) \mathrm{d} x

show that

α2In=2n(2n1)In14n(n1)In2\displaystyle \alpha^2 I_n = 2n(2n-1) I_{n-1} - 4n(n-1)I_{n-2}

I do not, but it is a welcome distraction. Thank you! Biting into it now. :smile:
Original post by Zacken

haha don't thank me. you just successfully finished a subchapter!!!:banana::banana2:
Original post by Zacken
I do not, but it is a welcome distraction. Thank you! Biting into it now. :smile:

There's a rider to the question when you've finished...:colone:
Looks like we have something in common, me and you both started off in similar positions, I admire your hard work.
That is a fxck load of exams but it is very achievable I have witnessed it happened on more than one occasion.

Good Luck
Original post by Zacken
Update:

I will be useful for once. I'm going to start looking over FP3 reduction formulae and do some of the exercises.

Ayyy we on the same exercise m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 154

show that

Took me far too long to spot the x2=1x21-x^2 = 1 - x^2 - 1 trick. Anyways, this requires two bouts of integration, the first one yields, with u=(1x2)nu = (1-x^2)^n and v=1αsinαx\displaystyle v = \frac{1}{\alpha}\sin \alpha x:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\alpha I_n}{2n} = \int_{-1}^{1} x(1-x^2)^{n-1} \sin \alpha x \, \mathrm{d}x[br]\end{equation}

Now, we bash it with IBP again, this time with u=x(1x2)n1u = x(1-x^2)^{n-1} and

\displaystlye v = -\frac{1}{\alpha} \cos \alpha x

which gives us:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\frac{\alpha^2}{2n}I_n = I_{n-1} + 2(n-1)\int_{-1}^{1} \cos \alpha x (1-x^2)^{n-2} (-x^2) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

Clever bit:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\alpha^2}{2n}I_n = I_{n-1} + 2(n-1)\int_{-1}^{1} \cos \alpha x (1-x^2)^{n-2} (1-x^2 - 1) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

So:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\alpha^2}{2n}I_n = (2n-1)I_n - 2(n-1)I_{n-2} \iff \alpha^2 I_n = 2n(2n-1)I_{n-1} - 4n(n-1)I_{n-2} \end{equation*}

as required. Lovely.
Reply 155
Original post by Insight314
Ayyy we on the same exercise m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finished. :cool:
Original post by Zacken
Finished. :cool:

So cheeky. I have to do STEP(finished), Chemistry and Physics (until 21:00GMT) before I start Further Mathematics. Not fair! :biggrin:
Reply 157
Original post by Insight314
So cheeky. I have to do STEP(finished), Chemistry and Physics (until 21:00GMT) before I start Further Mathematics. Not fair! :biggrin:

'innit. I'm putting a break on STEP till I'm done with FP3, so... :tongue: I've got a few more pages and I'll be done with the whole of integration. :yep:
Reply 158
There's a rider to the question when you've finished...:colone:

Not sure if I want to know - go for it anyway :lol:

Original post by luminarychild
Looks like we have something in common, me and you both started off in similar positions, I admire your hard work.
That is a fxck load of exams but it is very achievable I have witnessed it happened on more than one occasion.

Good Luck

Oh, sweet, good to know you can empathise!

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 159
Original post by 雷尼克
please dont go to warwick

Why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending