The Student Room Group

Will more likely fail my university degree...Please advise.

Hi everyone,

I am a student currently in my final year in University doing Computer Science.
I am a hard working student, I have received a 1st in both first and second year but recently something happened.

I am currently in my second semester and for the life of me I realised that I do not want to further my career in computing. Hear me out...

Recently in the past few months I have lost my passion with computers amongst many other things. I then found out that I suffer from stress, anxiety and depression. I am 22 yrs old and have never ever felt like this before.

Currently I am on medication and will be doing CBT plus one-to-one counselling sessions soon to help combat it but its been a slow process.

Support from family members and friends is limited. Everyday is a challenge without having panic attacks in University, home or even during sleep.
Any negative aspects such as the news or arguments between family members or friends brings me down badly.

The university work to me now feels too hard and I cant concentrate and bring myself to continue. Now I am worried I will fail and my mental health is making it more worse and I dont know what to do.

I have looked at options such as retaking but unsure if I will be "fixed" before the academic year starts.
I am thinking of just getting 300 credit for an ordinary degree but what worries me is that everyone is asking for a 2.1 in jobs, this is what worries me the most.
I was then thinking of doing a part time Open Degree top up with my credit transfers from my previous years but unsure of what areas I am interested in anymore. Maybe something in Business IT but nothing solid.

If given the choice I would have chosen another Course but for obvious reasons, student finance will not fund me for it because ive used 3 of the 4 years possible.
If retaking another year or for a top up on the OU degree I can then only get the funding just the once and what worries me is that if I fail that then I have no idea what to do next.

Sorry for the long post.
Can anyone help me?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey,

The first thing that struck me is that you need to immediately approach your tutor or someone who watches over you and your study to discuss and raise your concerns with them. You could also approach your GP and they may be able to advise you on how to cope with your stress and anxiety in regards to your academic and personal life.

I'm sorry that you're having to overcome so many obstacles, as well as having to complete a very rewarding but challenging degree! Don't worry though, many people do tend to have the 'I don't think I love this subject anymore' during uni and it's completely normal, the next step forward is to think about whether you're certain you wouldn't like to do anything in the field and if so, what will you do to ensure that your time has not been wasted.

Obviously, your mental and emotional well-being is very important and I feel like it would be a bad idea to push it on the side and put all your focus on something that doesn't give you intrinsic satisfaction.

Hopefully things will work out for you soon, and good luck!

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me by clicking thebutton and I'll try to help you out as soon as possible.
Reply 2
Original post by S_Miah786
Hi everyone,

I am a student currently in my final year in University doing Computer Science.
I am a hard working student, I have received a 1st in both first and second year but recently something happened.

I am currently in my second semester and for the life of me I realised that I do not want to further my career in computing. Hear me out...

Recently in the past few months I have lost my passion with computers amongst many other things. I then found out that I suffer from stress, anxiety and depression. I am 22 yrs old and have never ever felt like this before.

Currently I am on medication and will be doing CBT plus one-to-one counselling sessions soon to help combat it but its been a slow process.

Support from family members and friends is limited. Everyday is a challenge without having panic attacks in University, home or even during sleep.
Any negative aspects such as the news or arguments between family members or friends brings me down badly.

The university work to me now feels too hard and I cant concentrate and bring myself to continue. Now I am worried I will fail and my mental health is making it more worse and I dont know what to do.

I have looked at options such as retaking but unsure if I will be "fixed" before the academic year starts.
I am thinking of just getting 300 credit for an ordinary degree but what worries me is that everyone is asking for a 2.1 in jobs, this is what worries me the most.
I was then thinking of doing a part time Open Degree top up with my credit transfers from my previous years but unsure of what areas I am interested in anymore. Maybe something in Business IT but nothing solid.

If given the choice I would have chosen another Course but for obvious reasons, student finance will not fund me for it because ive used 3 of the 4 years possible.
If retaking another year or for a top up on the OU degree I can then only get the funding just the once and what worries me is that if I fail that then I have no idea what to do next.

Sorry for the long post.
Can anyone help me?

If you could change your degree what would you change it to? I know that with computer science it's a very flexible degree that can get you jobs in various fields of work. As for your anxiety, I feel a good option is just to talk to someone, friends/family/therapist and just let it all out. Hope this helps ☺️.
If you are not enjoying your degree now then the best thing to do is maybe change it or take a year out to think about what you want to do and explore other options.
Trust me, degrees aren't everything these days and there is no reason why you should do something when you don't enjoy it.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending