The Student Room Group

How to improve my crappy GCSE grades?

I just need some valuable advice on how to improve my GCSE grades. I'm really failing a the moment.

PREDICTED:
ENGLISH (FUNCTIONAL SKILLS) - PASS
MATHS - WORKING AT E / PREDICTED A C
ART & DESIGN - D
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION - B
HISTORY - C
COMPUTER SCIENCE - A
SCIENCE CORE - D/E

Please help me..... thank you.
Did you revise for those grades?
Get rid of all distractions. Think about what you would like to achieve in life and make realistic goals. Work hard. Revise for maths through past papers, just keep revising throughout the end. In the end remember it will all be worth it. Create a revision timetable and stick to it. And also when revising make sure to take breaks :smile:!
Reply 3
Original post by 1jonam16
Did you revise for those grades?

Out of all honesty, not really. I'm naturally good at computer science. I really struggle with Maths, but I stay after school a day every week for revision sessions. I've been offered to take an additional maths qualification (AQA Level 1/2)

And for art & design, it's all about coursework. I've been getting better, but it's just my core subjects that i'm struggling at (maths, science, etc). I'm really good at RE though. I struggle with history crime & punishment and analysing sources because of my feeble mind.
Also, if you need any help with maths feel free to message me
Reply 5
Maths:

I've sucked at Maths since Primary School but I recently got a high B (Mock exam - 3 marks away from an A -.-) by watching HegartyMaths videos. I did this for topics I suck at *practically all of them*.

My teacher gave us a lot of past papers to complete. I often didn't know what I was doing on them so I copied the solutions (not the mark scheme as the methods aren't explained) and then went to my teacher (after school) and he explained whatever I didn't understand.

Sometimes it's better to get a friend to explain a topic which you don't understand.

History:

Notes. My workbook is practically a textbook so I read over that and try to cram key dates in the night before the exam (not the best idea). With History, just make sure you know the key dates and events and then you can go from there during the exam.

My teacher told us to never miss a 10 mark question. If your mind has gone completely blank, just write about something as close to the question you can and you can get 5 marks (I think it is) for SPAG.

Science:

I watch My GCSE Science videos (he's saved my life). Whilst doing so, I make notes in a notebook (I practically copy everything he's saying but make sure you understand it too). I then copy the notes onto index cards and learn them by heart.

On the website, you have to pay for Unit 2 and 3 but I'm pretty sure someone has put them up on YouTube (@ Xerosabz I don't know what the other persons username is)

I hope this helps! Good luck (~:
(edited 8 years ago)
Well for starters you should probably start revising then. I'm not gonna give you the cliché techniques, but rather I'd recommend using the CGP textbook in conjunction with your notes for the sciences. I find that for biology, it's good to try and link the topics together (e.g. enzymes to respiration) and make I meet what's required on the specification. For the other core subjects (physics and chemistry included) there's no simple way other than to go through all the content and learn it. Now, be realistic as well. It's almost impossible, I think, to pull an A* if you've consistently gotten bad grades since year 9 or below, though an A or B is more plausible with the right attitude. To get beyond this, you'd need to spend a lot of time actually understanding the subject, but I feel as if this option is no longer there, especially as you've probs finished the majority of topics for all subjects.
Art is a lost cause. We all feel your pain, we all suffer the same grades. Don't worry.
Original post by mrwhitz
I just need some valuable advice on how to improve my GCSE grades. I'm really failing a the moment.

PREDICTED:
ENGLISH (FUNCTIONAL SKILLS) - PASS
MATHS - WORKING AT E / PREDICTED A C
ART & DESIGN - D
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION - B
HISTORY - C
COMPUTER SCIENCE - A
SCIENCE CORE - D/E

Please help me..... thank you.

Guess what my predicted grades where.
Maths E
Science E
English D
Food Tech D
RE D

what I came out with? WITH HARD WORK..

Maths C
English C
Food Tech B
RE B

It's all about hard work, I have dyslexia that effects my maths and english. If I can do it anyone can..

Now I am at university. work hard it will reward you in around 3/4 years and in 30 years,.

Quick Reply

Latest