The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nope.
Original post by Lime-man
Tell me one thing that there are no issues with? If we're talking about dangers to society, there's so much to ban before we even get started with alcohol.

Yeah I agree
You may be the definition of a party pooper
Original post by draculaura
9 million people are not drinking responsibly.

How would banning alcohol stop them rather than just pushing them to drink moonshine?

I don't want to get rid of alcohol because I'm some sort of Oliver Cromwell who hates fun, I want it because alcohol is a dangerous drug. Adults can't help the fact when they get addicted, but when they do - it tampers with their entire life, and the people around them. Why are you trying to find fault with that?

What other "dangerous" activities would you like to see banned? Horse riding maybe?
Reply 84
Original post by TheArtofProtest
The Government should also ban fast-food places, nationalize biscuit/sweets/chocolate companies and have a total ban on sugar to reduce the obesity epidemic that is ravaging the UK.

But the Government is putty in the hands of the "food and drinks lobby".

If you want to get anything decriminalized and legalized, all you have to do is to have a shitload of money and send out people to lobby ministers on your behalf.

The Government no longer works in the interests of people, just big corporations.

Obesity in my area is really bad lol like 9/10 of people I say are huge
Reply 85
Off with the paternal state

Legalise drugs
Legalise euthanasia
Legalise prostitution

Tax tax tax sugar and fast food,

Create a basic income

Happily ever after, until people want to die then they can commit suicide legally.
Why would they ban something that makes the country a **** ton of money? The same reason why they don't ban cigarettes even though there is no logical reason at all why cigarettes shouldn't be banned.
Original post by sleepysnooze
you're trying to imply that adult citizens are basically children who can't regulate their own lives for better or worse. it's none of your business. people should be free to choose which path in life they want and they should be free to either succeed or fail.

That is a fair point and at the end of the day is where the moral argument lies. Sure, you could argue that we are free to do as we please, but should the state be responsible for picking us up when we fall down?

There is the same argument in climbing circles - why should climbers selfishly putting themselves in harms way see the full strength of the emergency services coming to rescue them when they fall off?

Personally I think there is a little too much emphasis towards our rights to do as we please whilst forgetting our duties to others and those we impact.
I think it certainly makes sense to ban alcohol for the same reason as all of the other drugs that are banned, based on; addiction, damage to people's health, costs to the NHS, crimes committed or being a public nuisance whilst under its influence etc.

But I don't think it can be done in practice. People have drunk alcohol for centuries, so it's become such an integral part of our culture and society has become so addicted to it, that hardly anybody would vote for a government that implemented such a ban.

I think the best thing the government can do is tax alcohol heavily to try and discourage it or limit the extent to which people drink, and attempt to use the money to help go some way towards solving the many problems caused by alcohol (e.g. funding the associated healthcare costs). Or perhaps it could try to bring about a cultural shift in the perception of drinking alcohol the way it has done with smoking tobacco, and hope that it reduces its appeal. But it can't just ban it all of a sudden - so many students, friday night clubbers, pub football fans etc. would be deprived of something that is currently so integral to their lives.
Original post by sleepysnooze
that's exactly* what you're seeming like, though. you're trying to imply that adult citizens are basically children who can't regulate their own lives for better or worse. it's none of your business. people should be free to choose which path in life they want and they should be free to either succeed or fail. if people fail, they ought to learn lessons. it's relatively simple. I mean, everybody learns lessons from former problems. for instance: I've almost died before from alcohol. I've been overweight before. I've done badly in school before (not anymore). it's a matter of free will. if you drink irresponsibly and rely on it, then you might get addicted and it doesn't take a genius to realise that. ultimately, if you're saying that it's the government choice whether a person can drink or not, and that their output is a matter of public interest, you're basically suggesting that people's lives belong to the state, which is a really creepy idea.

Why do you keep arguing with me about my opinion? Everyone has one, you can believe what you want and I can believe what I want. I don't mind people having a drink now and again, hell, it's normal. But so many people drink every night, and are practically drinking themselves into health problems, or even death. Tell me, if your mum or someone you heavily care about was slowly killing themselves without realising it - would you try and stop them? Or just let them do what they want because you'd be taking away their 'freedom' and 'responsibility.' I understand where you're coming from, I really do - but I still believe that there should be a lot of restrictions on alcohol, people ignore what they're doing. This isn't even just with alcohol, there's loads of other things too - but since this thread's about alcohol that's what I'm focusing on.
Original post by knapdarloch
How would banning alcohol stop them rather than just pushing them to drink moonshine?

What other "dangerous" activities would you like to see banned? Horse riding maybe?

That is true - if you read my previous replies to that guy I've been talking to, you'll see in this sort of reality, I couldn't. People are wayy too dependant on it, there'd be some sort of war on the streets if it was taken away from them. But in MY ideal world, it would be. I feel if people never knew what alcohol was, it'd never bother them. Though, if you cut loads of people off from it, they'd all be going onto Amazon and buying their own 'make-your-own-wine' kits (lmao) and solve pretty much nothing.

And yes! Horse riding could be added to my 'I hate everything fun' list - maybe Christmas and chocolate too. Am I evil yet? :devil:
(edited 8 years ago)
That is true - if you read my previous replies to that guy I've been talking to, you'll see in this sort of reality, I couldn't. People are wayy too dependant on it, there'd be some sort of war on the streets if it was taken away from them. But in MY ideal world, it would be. I feel if people never knew what alcohol was, it'd never bother them. Though, if you cut loads of people off from it, they'd all be going onto Amazon and buying their own 'make-your-own-wine' kits (lmao) and solve pretty much nothing.

If it wasn't alcohol it'd be something else and it's not just an intoxicant(not that that can't be useful) it's also a pretty useful solvent and sanitiser. If people never knew what alcohol was we'd probably still have just as many people dependant on drugs but have a harder time making perfume, disinfecting hospitals and cleaning up paint brushes.

And yes! Horse riding could be added to my 'I hate everything fun' list - maybe Christmas and chocolate too. Am I evil yet? :devil:

Must be, they're all on my list too.
Original post by JordanL_
The Conservatives have made illegal a huge amount of drugs, some potentially safe and useful, in a single blanket ban. This is supposedly due to the cost to society of these drugs.

Why are we banning drugs that kill less than a hundred people a year between them for their cost to society? Surely we should be banning alcohol, which caused over 6000 deaths in 2012 and costs the NHS £3.5 BILLION a year.

I really can't fathom how the cost to society can be used to justify banning drugs when it's a normal occurrence for people to binge drink every week.

I use whiskey and beer to add flavor to food and sauces. :dontknow:

Not all people who use/drink alcohol binge drink.
Why do you keep arguing with me about my opinion? Everyone has one, you can believe what you want and I can believe what I want. I don't mind people having a drink now and again, hell, it's normal. But so many people drink every night, and are practically drinking themselves into health problems, or even death. Tell me, if your mum or someone you heavily care about was slowly killing themselves without realising it - would you try and stop them? Or just let them do what they want because you'd be taking away their 'freedom' and 'responsibility.' I understand where you're coming from, I really do - but I still believe that there should be a lot of restrictions on alcohol, people ignore what they're doing. This isn't even just with alcohol, there's loads of other things too - but since this thread's about alcohol that's what I'm focusing on.

my mother is an adult - I'm not going to play parent on her and force her into doing what I want. this is the same thing she'd do towards me (as I'm an adult as well, of course). if she kills herself or ruins her life, at least she had the dignity and respect to self-determine and not be undermined in her intelligence and her integrity. besides, if I tried to force somebody, be they my family or otherwise, to not drink, or steal their drinks, then I'd be breaking the law - but that law can be justified in its own right - liberty
Yeah but alcohol is banter innit mate
Reply 95
Original post by walking in sand
if people want to die as a result of substance misuse then thats just natural selection at work. :smile:

Lol ha
sometimes I read something so true and sad that I just don’t know what to do. I live in the uk and everyone around me is so ****ing depressing and the only time they’re not miserable is when they’re drunk. They work for the weekends where they can get drunk so they can forget the week. Repeat.

Latest

Trending

Trending