The Student Room Group

Brawl between English and Slovakian pupils

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cops-called-brawl-school-between-7310787

Police had to break up a brawl 'between English and Slovakian pupils' at a school after students and a teacher were injured in the fight.

Dozens of parents kept their children off school today following the fight between pupils at Sir William Stanier Community School in Crewe.

Pupils were injured in the fight on Thursday afternoon as a well as a teacher who intervened.Police were called to the lunchtime incident and several youngsters have now been excluded, the Crewe Chronicle reports.

The newspaper was contacted by numerous parents who said the fight broke out between English and Slovakian youngsters, although neither police nor the school have confirmed this. Police are adamant that rumours of ‘large scale disorder’ at the school and the brandishing of weapons such as ‘knives and screwdrivers’ are not true.The Chronicle received reports that youngsters were ‘hiding in classrooms out of fear’.One girl also had a chunk of her hair ripped out, while one parent said a pupil had been punched in the face

Scroll to see replies

Just another day in Crewe then.
So this is newsworthy because allegedly Slovakian (Eastern European) students were involved.
Disgusting
Original post by homeland.lsw
So this is newsworthy because allegedly Slovakian (Eastern European) students were involved.
Disgusting

No, its newsworthy because it was a major event for the people of Crewe. (Although mass fighting in Crewe isn't exactly a rare event). Lots of parents took their kids out of school. Also its culturally related violence between two ethnic groups, rather than a simple playground brawl. So yes, it is newsworthy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Disgusting

You know what's disgusting? Constant repeating that countries like Polan, Czech Republic or Slovakia are a part of "misterious" "Eastern Europe". no, they are not. they were, against their will occupied by Soviets till early 90's but wakey wakey- Iron curtain is no more.
Geographically (when was the last time you have looked at the map of Europe?), culturally and politically they are- and, with exception of the period of 40-odd years after the war- they were a central european countries. At times, closer to the so-called West than the Britain.
Original post by simon_g
You know what's disgusting? Constant repeating that countries like Polan, Czech Republic or Slovakia are a part of "misterious" "Eastern Europe". no, they are not. they were, against their will occupied by Soviets till early 90's but wakey wakey- Iron curtain is no more.
Geographically (when was the last time you have looked at the map of Europe?), culturally and politically they are- and, with exception of the period of 40-odd years after the war- they were a central european countries. At times, closer to the so-called West than the Britain.

They're part of Eastern Europe mate. Ever heard the racism directed towards black football players there?
They have a different culture to us. We aren't all equal- deal with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mmm778899
They're part of Eastern Europe mate. Ever heard the racism directed towards black football players there?

So UK till 70's was also in Eastern Europe then? One learns something interesting every day!

They have a different culture to us.

Do you have any idea about central European culture? No, I don't think so. Countries like Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth were much more democraticly advanced (although it wasn't a democracy in our today sense) than England "back in the day", Husitian movement had a great influence at Reformation etc.

Sorry, but if one describes culture of such different countries like Hungary, Romania, Poland, Estonia with a stupid blanket term "Eastern European" than I cannot treat that person seriously.
Disgusting

It hasn't been on the six o clock news. :confused:

Besides is it your position that incidents of intra ethnic conflict should be suppressed? Censored?

Why, if so?
Disgusting

Yes it is news worthy for exactly that point

not sure why you think this is disgusting though.
Disgusting

Why?
Original post by simon_g
So UK till 70's was also in Eastern Europe then? One learns something interesting every day!

Do you have any idea about central European culture? No, I don't think so. Countries like Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth were much more democraticly advanced (although it wasn't a democracy in our today sense) than England "back in the day", Husitian movement had a great influence at Reformation etc.

Sorry, but if one describes culture of such different countries like Hungary, Romania, Poland, Estonia with a stupid blanket term "Eastern European" than I cannot treat that person seriously.

So you are against the term "Western Europe" too then? :wink:
So you are against the term "Western Europe" too then? :wink:

Good point. I prefer to either use terms like Iberian, Anglo-saxon, scandinavian etc culture or to use the term "Western Europe" in " ".
Original post by simon_g
Good point. I prefer to either use terms like Iberian, Anglo-saxon, scandinavian etc culture or to use the term "Western Europe" in " ".

Is the term Western Europe wrong?
Is the term Western Europe wrong?

not "wrong" per se. it's not always as accurate as one could wish.
if we follow a simple division of East vs West (following the Cold War borders) than we land countries like Italy, Norway, France, Austria and UK together. Without any doubts they have plenty in common, but they are definitely not the same, there are plenty of differences too- although fewer than between "Eastern" countries.
While, in my understanding, most Brits threat the EE countries as if they would be the same (if I would get a quid every time when they mistake Hungarians or Latvians for Poles...)
Original post by simon_g
not "wrong" per se. it's not always as accurate as one could wish.
if we follow a simple division of East vs West (following the Cold War borders) than we land countries like Italy, Norway, France, Austria and UK together. Without any doubts they have plenty in common, but they are definitely not the same, there are plenty of differences too- although fewer than between "Eastern" countries.
While, in my understanding, most Brits threat the EE countries as if they would be the same (if I would get a quid every time when they mistake Hungarians or Latvians for Poles...)

So Eastern Europe isn't poor/Western Europe much-wealthier?
Reply 15
So Eastern Europe isn't poor/Western Europe much-wealthier?

Not really, Estonia is quite wealthy I think, probably wealthier than south Italy but idk
Original post by whorace
Not really, Estonia is quite wealthy I think, probably wealthier than south Italy but idk

Not really..... Eastern Europe isn't poorer than Western Europe?

Oh this is funny.
Reply 17
Not really..... Eastern Europe isn't poorer than Western Europe?

Oh this is funny.

If your understanding of geography is limited to a bipolar rich/poor schism absolutely, if you are actually interested in facts you will find lots of areas in the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, US and almost any Western country that have lower quality of life than in some Eastern European places, Estonia is the example I gave. Portugal on average might be richer than Estonia but that does not mean every region in Portugal is better than Estonia.

Your understanding of Eastern Europe is unfortunately 24 years out of date
Original post by whorace
If your understanding of geography is limited to a bipolar rich/poor schism absolutely, if you are actually interested in facts you will find lots of areas in the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, US and almost any Western country that have lower quality of life than in some Eastern European places, Estonia is the example I gave. Portugal on average might be richer than Estonia but that does not mean every region in Portugal is better than Estonia.

Your understanding of Eastern Europe is unfortunately 24 years out of date

And I am talking about the average quality of life in each country.......
And I am talking about the average quality of life in each country.......

... which doesn't change the fact that you can find regions, within so-called "Eastern Europe" where quality of life is better than in some regions of "Western Europe".
but even without it, lets treat the whole countries: Italian GDP is lower than British, therefore Italy is an Eastern Europe. it sounds right, right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending