The Student Room Group

BUNAC - Work America

Anyone ever gone with them? I'm a bit confused on some of the costs, is accommodation not included, and flights I know aren't.

What's the rough overall cost? How much do you make back?
Reply 1
bump
I think they provide a package which doesn't include flights but includes visa, support and accommodation for the first night. There are lots of companies offering similar packages so shop around (try this site which has lots of jobs in America).
Reply 3
I did this program with BUNAC in 2014 and had the time of my life.

Accommodation depends on the job you find. Some provide it for you, some do not.

The program costs (visa, insurance, flights) is around £1600 in total. You don't really make the money back as all the money you earn out there you will spend on living, food, drink, travelling around.
Reply 4
Original post by Ziplot
I did this program with BUNAC in 2014 and had the time of my life.

Accommodation depends on the job you find. Some provide it for you, some do not.

The program costs (visa, insurance, flights) is around £1600 in total. You don't really make the money back as all the money you earn out there you will spend on living, food, drink, travelling around.

How much was your accommodation?

Thanks for your help by the way, where did you go?
Reply 5
Original post by angelfox
How much was your accommodation?

Thanks for your help by the way, where did you go?

$90 a week. I went to Breakwater Beach Waterpark in New Jersey.
Reply 6
Original post by Ziplot
$90 a week. I went to Breakwater Beach Waterpark in New Jersey.

Did you do any travelling after?

How much were your flights?
Reply 7
Did you do any travelling after?

How much were your flights?

I did a months travelling afterwards and my flights were about £550 return.
Reply 8
Original post by Ziplot
I did a months travelling afterwards and my flights were about £550 return.

With the travelling did you go with other people or alone?

Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 9
With the travelling did you go with other people or alone?

Sorry for all the questions!

I spent two weeks travelling with people I lived with out there (they were students doing the same program) and two weeks travelling on my own.

And no worries! It's only natural to have questions. All I'd say though is just go for it. It will be the best thing you ever do. I'd love relish the opportunity to do it again...
Reply 10
Original post by Ziplot
I spent two weeks travelling with people I lived with out there (they were students doing the same program) and two weeks travelling on my own.

And no worries! It's only natural to have questions. All I'd say though is just go for it. It will be the best thing you ever do. I'd love relish the opportunity to do it again...

Did you do the travelling with the Bunac scheme? (there's some tours you can do at the end of the working)

So I assume you got along with your colleges, where were they all from?
Reply 11
Did you do the travelling with the Bunac scheme? (there's some tours you can do at the end of the working)

So I assume you got along with your colleges, where were they all from?

We organised our own travelling.

And yes I did, very much so. Miss them. They were a mixture of students. I lived with British, Spanish and Dutch but there were also Romanian, Bulgarian and Chinese students on the same J1 visa. All of the British students went with BUNAC.
Reply 12
Original post by Ziplot
We organised our own travelling.

And yes I did, very much so. Miss them. They were a mixture of students. I lived with British, Spanish and Dutch but there were also Romanian, Bulgarian and Chinese students on the same J1 visa. All of the British students went with BUNAC.

One final question (for now)

where did you go on your travelling?
Reply 13
One final question (for now)

where did you go on your travelling?

All over. I did a two week road trip with some of my housemates across the south west then travelled solo around the north east for another two weeks.
Reply 14
Original post by Ziplot
All over. I did a two week road trip with some of my housemates across the south west then travelled solo around the north east for another two weeks.

sorry to bother you - another question! How much did you spend on food a week?
Reply 15
sorry to bother you - another question! How much did you spend on food a week?

I can't remember. You'll have more than enough money, don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest