The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Central village can't be fully booked for sept 2016 as applications for accommodation haven't opened yet - it is usually oversubscribed though and so is Leodis (but both have on going building work nearby - but at least the noise wont go on into the night)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 61
Which accommodation is best for a radiography student? I'm torn between James Baillie and the tannery ! Like everyone else I am looking for a social atmosphere the distance isn't too much of a problem but I'm not going to Oxley or lupton. Any advice ???
Original post by h.xlx
Who is they? I didn't even get a chance to apply :sadface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Accommodation office. Anyway, might just be for 2nd years. :frown:
Reply 63
Does anybody know anything about Lupton? I figure it's the best one out of the cheapest accommodation because the location is good. If I make it my first choice, is there a big chance for me to get a place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ring up the nice lady in the accommodation office and ask if it usually oversubscribed - they are really helpful.
Original post by BookBird
Accommodation office. Anyway, might just be for 2nd years. :frown:

I can imagine it's only the case for second years, as we aren't guaranteed accommodation for our second year (exclusing international students that is)
They probably only allow so many second years to stay in each accommodation to make room for the first years who won't know anyone to share with this year!
Original post by paiges
Does anybody know anything about Lupton? I figure it's the best one out of the cheapest accommodation because the location is good. If I make it my first choice, is there a big chance for me to get a place?

I can imagine that you'd be pretty likely to get a place to be honest. There are 640 places and with shared bathrooms I can't imagine it being that popular. I've certainly never met someone who lives there!
Original post by sho89
Which accommodation is best for a radiography student? I'm torn between James Baillie and the tannery ! Like everyone else I am looking for a social atmosphere the distance isn't too much of a problem but I'm not going to Oxley or lupton. Any advice ???

-Tannery is closer to the city centre
-James Baillie is closer to the 'student area' of Leeds (never set foot in Headingley so can't offer much help in that regard)

-I live opposite the Tannery in Sentinel towers, and my friend lives there. Honestly doesn't seem to be that much of a 'party' accommodation. The kitchens are very nice though. Very very big. Can't say I'm that fussed on the bedrooms though. But I feel kinda spoilt with the room in Sentinel. Though we have rubbish kitchens and it's a mix of postgrads and undergrads here so it's much quieter. Though someone needs to remind my neighbours of that fact -_-
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for Montague Burton...does anyone have any advice or warnings?

I know it's close to campus but how far is it from Headingley/the city centre/other places I'd be likely to want to go to? I'm applying for French and Spanish and I'd be going to the gym, joining a few societies, using the train station quite a lot and going to gigs quite regularly (if any of that makes any difference).

Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
I can imagine that you'd be pretty likely to get a place to be honest. There are 640 places and with shared bathrooms I can't imagine it being that popular. I've certainly never met someone who lives there!

Great, thanks 😊

Original post by starkidbrady
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for Montague Burton...does anyone have any advice or warnings?

I know it's close to campus but how far is it from Headingley/the city centre/other places I'd be likely to want to go to? I'm applying for French and Spanish and I'd be going to the gym, joining a few societies, using the train station quite a lot and going to gigs quite regularly (if any of that makes any difference).

Thanks in advance!

Again never met anyone living there.
Apparently it's 15 minutes from the city centre. Probablyabout 20/25 minutes from the train station? And everyone says they'll use the gym :wink: you'll be quite close to the first direct arena from what I can tell
Could someone already in the university drop some pros and cons for Charles Morris please? I'm way too far away from Leeds to visit -_-
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Again never met anyone living there.
Apparently it's 15 minutes from the city centre. Probablyabout 20/25 minutes from the train station? And everyone says they'll use the gym :wink: you'll be quite close to the first direct arena from what I can tell

Thank you!
Original post by Zziwa
Could someone already in the university drop some pros and cons for Charles Morris please? I'm way too far away from Leeds to visit -_-

Pros:
-Roll out of bed and you're at your lecture. You could probably spit on the union from some of the rooms (not that you would)

-Very fancy hotel like accommodation

-Catered, if you want that kind of thing

Cons:
-You literally have NO excuses for being late.

-Very very expensive. £188-£194 a week in storm Jameson

-'12 meals a week' at fixed meal times. Does not include lunch so you will have to buy/make that yourself, and only includes 'brunch' on a weekend. So you will still have to buy in food/make some yourself. Obviously if you don't like what's being served that day it is a bit tough.
Reply 74
Does anyone know what the best residences are for nursing students? I found a thread from 2011 that says the tannery, oxley and lupton is that still the case??
Also, I'll be 22 going on 23 when I start are there any halls that are known for having older students without necessarily being post grads?
Original post by falling
Does anyone know what the best residences are for nursing students? I found a thread from 2011 that says the tannery, oxley and lupton is that still the case??
Also, I'll be 22 going on 23 when I start are there any halls that are known for having older students without necessarily being post grads?

Honestly the uni really needs to get it's accommodation information sorted out, outdated photos and no good info?

The only thing that would make the 'best' for a specific course is location. The liveliness of you actually sharing a flat with people on your course is rather slim! Which is a good thing really, allows you to meet more people.
What sort of things are important to you? En suite? Location? Party atmosphere? Catered or self catered? These things will give me a better idea where you'd like to be ^.^

And not that I am aware of :smile: You wouldn't be allowed in the postgrad only accommodation anyway. Sentinel Towers (where I live) is a mix of postgrad and undergraduate. But honestly with the amount of international students, students who've taken gap years/resat a year, 23 is not that old at all! You'll probably find plenty of people around your age wherever you go, and honestly us 'young and wild' teenagers really aren't all that fussed, I couldn't tell who's 23 or 18 :tongue:
Concept place is pretty decent, im staying in a larger room and it's pretty spacious plenty of clothes space etc ensuite is ok too. The receptionist, cleaners and the maintenance guys are nice.
Downside: It's one complex, so fire alarms go off a lot, (I used to just unplug the alarm everytime and I forgot to put it back in after on 2 occasions which I got told off for :P )
Internet is quite fast and allows torrent applications (which eduroam doesn't).
As for a sociable atmosphere I have no clue about, since I just stay in my room except to get food and go to uni :biggrin:

Liberty dock has nice rooms and a sociable atmosphere however it's on the other end of city center 35-45min walk apparently. My friend stayed there and is always complaining about not being able to leave uni in between lectures (our course has quite big gaps in our days except for fridays and wednesdays for this semester)
Reply 77
Hi everyone, what are the nearer accommodations to the Michael Sadler building and the centre for translation studies?
Which are nearer to the gym and could anyone tell us when are those off-peak hours?
I have EDS and swimming will definitely help with the pain.
Hey everyone,
What do you guys think of Lyddon Hall? I want to be in a place that's lively, sociable and people are up for going out, so if not Lyddon Hall any other suggestions. Thanks.
Original post by starkidbrady

Thanks in advance!

I stayed in montague burton last year! :biggrin:

Room: medium size, its nice + bit plain and has a single bed, cupboard, bedside table with drawers, desk and a sink in the room.

Kitchen: excellent size for the price and plenty of room for 5 people
Bathroom is cleaned 1/2 times a week and bins changed regularly

about 5 walk from uni, 15 minutes to town and 25 to the train station. It's about 20/25 minutes from walk from Headingley but you probably won't go there more than once or twice as there isn't any need too

It has a onestop about a 3 minute walk away

In my opinion its good value for the money and was a nice place to stay in for my first (sort of) year :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest