The Student Room Group

Are you eligible for student finance?

Do you qualify for student finance? Join our live webchat to find out more.

Sally has worked at the Student Loans Company for nearly five years in various roles. She regularly deals with complex queries and works hard to resolve any issues and customer complaints.

Mandy has worked at the Student Loans Company for two years. As a student advisor she take calls from Student Finance England, EU and 24+ students. She is also a disabled student support advisor.

Grace has been a customer service advisor for the past nine months. She deals with queries for both Student Finance England and Advanced Learner Loans.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I'm applying to study BSc Occupational therapy as a mature student and have previously had a student loan plus a career development loan. I'm aware that students on NHS funded courses can normally apply for a reduced maintenance loan from SLC in addition to the NHS bursary but I'm not sure whether I will be eligible to do so, having already has a loan from SLC? I'm a bit concerned about how I will be able to cover my living costs without an additional loan.
Reply 2
Hello,
I have got offers from Bristol, Bath, Southampton, and Surrey for Aerospace Engineering for the academic year beginning in September 2017 and I am waiting for Imperial college to reply.

Before the first day of my course at a university, I will have lived in the UK for six and a half years. Until october 2015 I had been a 'dependent' on my parents Tier 2 (general) visa, with my visa being Tier 2 'dependent (child)'. However since october 2015 I have become eighteen and I am uncertain of whether '(child)' applies.

I have a visa {Tier 2 general (child)} till 04/2018 and thereafter should be able to get an 'indefinite leave to remain' (ILR), however this is not before the first day of university. So what I would like to know is, will I be eligible for any student loan given that I will have met all the criteria except ILR, which I should be getting one year later anyways and if so how much will I eligible for?

Answers to these questions will be much appreciated since UKCISA haven't managed to pick up my calls despite many attempts.

PS: I can't defer entry for one more year, since I have got my offer for 2017 by deferring once already.
My parents, myself and my sister are also 'work permit(ted)' with no restrictions.
I can't apply for ILR any earlier than June 2018.

Thanks again!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello there!!

I am a EU citizen who wants to study a postgraduate degree in biodiversity and evolution. I finished my degree outside uk one year ago and I have been working in uk for one year and a half. In september 2016 I will turn two years in uk.

As I said I would like to study a postgraduate degree but I have some unanswered questions.

Am I eligible for a postgraduate loan?
If so, I read the loan is up to 10.000 £. But is this money would be for everything or just for the maitenance?
If I am not, is there any other way to finance my master?

Thank you very much for your time.

Guillermo
I am hoping to study business and economics at Birmingham city university in September. My parents are both teachers and earn around £60000 a year, this means my maintanance loan will be about £4000 a year. This doesn't even cover the cheapest accommodation and they aren't going to be able to finacially support me. How is it fair that students from middle income family's are the worst of at university?
I'm studying... social work degree

I'm interested in... knowing if am elligibile for a student finannce. I came to UK in 2005 and was granted leave to remain in 2012 due to the complixity of my case. In 2014, I decided to study the Access to Higher Education Diploma on part time basis and on self-funding. After considering the university tuition fees and other things that needs financial support when studying full-time education, I did a thorough research and came across this link: The University Funding issue was recently determined by the Supreme Court and you can see the Judgement by following this link: https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2014-0255-judgment.pdf. I have been a resident in UK for more than 3 years now and I would like to know from your office whether am eligible or not. I have two conditional offers from two universities and am due to start a social work degree in September 2016. Please I need your clarification on eligibility and I have one dependant child who is a British citizen under 16 years. Thanks.

My study level is... University undergraduate
Hi,

I am receiving student finance for my 3 year BSc which I am currently in my second year of, but I am considering switching to the 4 year integrated masters course. Does anyone know what, if any, type of funding I would be able to receive from student finance if I were to switch to this course?
im a second year student going to drop my course. If i want to start a new course from level 1 i don't think i will get the £9000 in tuition fees for the first year, but would i still be able to apply for maintenance loan?
For those unaware:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21647-Postgraduate-Loans
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/6854/sfe_pgl_qg_1617_d.pdf

I'm pretty gutted over the wishy washy eligibility section, I mean things like 'normally' and 'ordinarily', what a handy wavey thing to say.

I'm from Northern Ireland, but been living in England for the last 3 years (will be 4 by the time I graduate) for my undergrad degree. Does this count as 'normal' or 'ordinary'? It also states that EU students can also apply, what what about RUK students? Or are we getting screwed over as usual?
Reply 9
Hi,

My partner and I are hoping to move in together in private accommodation for the commencement of our studies in 2016. I'll be studying LLB law and my partner will be studying straight to masters mechanical engineering. We are hoping to get a maintenance loan however we don't know how much we will get.

My parents are earning £36,000+ a year combined but they can't afford to help due to there being four other children to care for - one of which living with my mother in a different part of the UK. There are family circumstances where I no longer have contact with my mother and neither my mum of my father are willing to help with my accommodation because they simply can't afford it.

My other half's parents are earning £21,000+ a year combined however, there are similar circumstances there, too. My partner has three other siblings and his family also cannot afford to help him out much, if at all.

How will our loans cover this, will we be eligible to apply for more due to our circumstances with our family?

We can give proof for this, too.

Please help :smile:
Reply 10
Hi

I am hoping to start at uni in September. According to the student finance calculator I am eligible for around £7,200.
My parents are divorced and my mum earns around £28,500 per year. However due to financial difficulties my parents still live together. Will this effect my application?
Hi there.My parents have recently stopped working and are currently living on their savings and investments with no other form of income. Do I still qualify for a student loan based on their wealth rather than income?
Hello
I am applying for university starting September this year. I was a student at university in September 2014 and withdrew in January 2015 because of this I am now paying back part of my maintenance grant. Will this in anyway have a negative effect on me applying for a student loan again?
Original post by MJEdwards
Hello, I'm applying to study BSc Occupational therapy as a mature student and have previously had a student loan plus a career development loan. I'm aware that students on NHS funded courses can normally apply for a reduced maintenance loan from SLC in addition to the NHS bursary but I'm not sure whether I will be eligible to do so, having already has a loan from SLC? I'm a bit concerned about how I will be able to cover my living costs without an additional loan.

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

You are correct NHS courses do attract a reduced rate maintenance loan from Student Finance England alongside the NHS bursary.

As an NHS course is an exception course you would potentially be able to apply for this funding providing you meet our other eligibility criteria.

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Original post by Om Dave
Hello,
I have got offers from Bristol, Bath, Southampton, and Surrey for Aerospace Engineering for the academic year beginning in September 2017 and I am waiting for Imperial college to reply.

Before the first day of my course at a university, I will have lived in the UK for six and a half years. Until october 2015 I had been a 'dependent' on my parents Tier 2 (general) visa, with my visa being Tier 2 'dependent (child)'. However since october 2015 I have become eighteen and I am uncertain of whether '(child)' applies.

I have a visa {Tier 2 general (child)} till 04/2018 and thereafter should be able to get an 'indefinite leave to remain' (ILR), however this is not before the first day of university. So what I would like to know is, will I be eligible for any student loan given that I will have met all the criteria except ILR, which I should be getting one year later anyways and if so how much will I eligible for?

Answers to these questions will be much appreciated since UKCISA haven't managed to pick up my calls despite many attempts.

PS: I can't defer entry for one more year, since I have got my offer for 2017 by deferring once already.
My parents, myself and my sister are also 'work permit(ted)' with no restrictions.
I can't apply for ILR any earlier than June 2018.

Thanks again!

Hello,

Thank you for your question today.

I can confirm that with a tier 2 visa you would not be eligible for student finance, you may be eligible once you have Indefinite Leave to remain status.

Many Thanks

Mandy
Original post by Guillerm07on
Hello there!!

I am a EU citizen who wants to study a postgraduate degree in biodiversity and evolution. I finished my degree outside uk one year ago and I have been working in uk for one year and a half. In september 2016 I will turn two years in uk.

As I said I would like to study a postgraduate degree but I have some unanswered questions.

Am I eligible for a postgraduate loan?
If so, I read the loan is up to 10.000 £. But is this money would be for everything or just for the maitenance?
If I am not, is there any other way to finance my master?

Thank you very much for your time.

Guillermo

Hi Guillermo,

The eligibility criteria for post graduate loans has not yet been finalised so I am unable to answer your question at present. All information regarding post graduate loans that we have at the moment is available online at www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

Any updates will be made available online once the criteria is finalised.

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Original post by sophielouisex
Hi,

I am receiving student finance for my 3 year BSc which I am currently in my second year of, but I am considering switching to the 4 year integrated masters course. Does anyone know what, if any, type of funding I would be able to receive from student finance if I were to switch to this course?

Hi Sophie

Thanks for your question.

If you transferred into the 3rd year of a 4 year integrated masters course next year, then you may be eligible to receive funding for the final two years of the course, providing you have no other previous study. However, if you complete your three year degree and then transfer into the final year of the four year integrated masters then you would not be eligible for funding for the fourth year.

Hope this helps

Grace Cochrane
Original post by CharloSlater97
I am hoping to study business and economics at Birmingham city university in September. My parents are both teachers and earn around £60000 a year, this means my maintanance loan will be about £4000 a year. This doesn't even cover the cheapest accommodation and they aren't going to be able to finacially support me. How is it fair that students from middle income family's are the worst of at university?

Hi,

The rates of funding we provide and income thresholds are determined by the government and is not something that Student Finance England determines.

If you would like a clear idea of the funding you may be eligible for, please visit our Student Finance Calculator at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Original post by pckahanda1
I'm studying... social work degree

I'm interested in... knowing if am elligibile for a student finannce. I came to UK in 2005 and was granted leave to remain in 2012 due to the complixity of my case. In 2014, I decided to study the Access to Higher Education Diploma on part time basis and on self-funding. After considering the university tuition fees and other things that needs financial support when studying full-time education, I did a thorough research and came across this link: The University Funding issue was recently determined by the Supreme Court and you can see the Judgement by following this link: https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2014-0255-judgment.pdf. I have been a resident in UK for more than 3 years now and I would like to know from your office whether am eligible or not. I have two conditional offers from two universities and am due to start a social work degree in September 2016. Please I need your clarification on eligibility and I have one dependant child who is a British citizen under 16 years. Thanks.

My study level is... University undergraduate

Thank you for your question today.

Based on the information provided and your status of 'leave to remain', I can confirm following the legal case that you mentioned that we are awaiting clear guidance on this.
Therefore the advise we would provide today is to make your application and this will be assessed on an individual basis.I would advise you to make your application as soon as possible ( early March applications are available) so we can get you a decision as early as possible.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
For those unaware:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21647-Postgraduate-Loans
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/6854/sfe_pgl_qg_1617_d.pdf

I'm pretty gutted over the wishy washy eligibility section, I mean things like 'normally' and 'ordinarily', what a handy wavey thing to say.

I'm from Northern Ireland, but been living in England for the last 3 years (will be 4 by the time I graduate) for my undergrad degree. Does this count as 'normal' or 'ordinary'? It also states that EU students can also apply, what what about RUK students? Or are we getting screwed over as usual?

Hi,

The eligibility criteria for post graduate loans has not yet been finalised so I am unable to answer your question at present. All information regarding post graduate loans that we have at the moment is available online at www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

Any updates will be made available online once the criteria is finalised.

Thanks

Sally Gallagher

Latest

Trending

Trending