The Student Room Group

Selling teaching AS/A level maths Edexcel?

Hi, I want to start self teaching myself A level maths starting with AS (S1 for As and S2 for A2). I have got CGP revision guide and Edexcel textbooks, how do I go about it and is this something that's possible? By the way this is from scratch. Please help, thanks! ☺️

P.S. Got a B in gcse ocr maths (1 ums mark off an A 😒)
Original post by Axlerod
Hi, I want to start self teaching myself A level maths starting with AS (S1 for As and S2 for A2). I have got CGP revision guide and Edexcel textbooks, how do I go about it and is this something that's possible? By the way this is from scratch. Please help, thanks! ☺️

I taught myself AQA. It took two full years. I used the AQA text books. However, since then, I have started further maths and switched to Edexcel. I bought their text books and I'm sure you will have noticed that the CD ROM has full solutions. My advice is to just get in there. Don't skip anything and answer all the questions in the book.

I save the review chapters to the end as a way of refreshing everything before starting on past papers.
Reply 2
you will need a timetable, and a fair amount of free time and motivation
Reply 3
Original post by maggiehodgson
I taught myself AQA. It took two full years. I used the AQA text books. However, since then, I have started further maths and switched to Edexcel. I bought their text books and I'm sure you will have noticed that the CD ROM has full solutions. My advice is to just get in there. Don't skip anything and answer all the questions in the book.

I save the review chapters to the end as a way of refreshing everything before starting on past papers.

So do I finish all of C1 before moving onto C2 and then S1 etc or do they link/overlap?
Original post by Axlerod

Start on page one of the C1 text book and go for it.
Do as much practice as you have time for.
You will find helpful resources on the www.examsolutions.net web site.
Do the core books in order, assess your progress and whether you need to go back and consolidate/clarify by doing a selection of past papers, don't jump around from book to book.
You can do S1 whenever you like but don't start S2 until you have finished S1 and for the S2 continuous random variable topic you need C2 integration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Axlerod
So do I finish all of C1 before moving onto C2 and then S1 etc or do they link/overlap?

I just did C1 and then C2 because I didn't know what I needed to know when. However, I do know that in some schools they are taught side by side taking bits from C2 that don't need C1. That's a pretty difficult thing to do as a beginner. So just do them in order.

You don't need C1 for S1 so you do those side by side I suppose.
Reply 6
Ok and what kind of study method are we looking at? Just read, take notes and do questions on them?

Quick Reply

Latest