The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by librarygirl
Was it really horrific? Too much information etc? I've just done logical, and ended up choosing a few at random so I guess I've not got much chance :frown:

I just didn't have enough time for some and I couldn't understand what they were asking even though I go A's on the practices :/
I guessed a few with logical, I swear some are impossible ha! I'm sure you'll do fine just don't over stress!☺️
Original post by a6georgia1
I just didn't have enough time for some and I couldn't understand what they were asking even though I go A's on the practices :/
I guessed a few with logical, I swear some are impossible ha! I'm sure you'll do fine just don't over stress!☺️

This is exactly what I found :frown:
Reply 302
Maths was fine for me, although was rushed on a few of them. Logic got really really hard, so I'm trying to stay positive and assuming it's because I did well on the first ones.
Original post by alex83
Maths was fine for me, although was rushed on a few of them. Logic got really really hard, so I'm trying to stay positive and assuming it's because I did well on the first ones.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled with logic. For numerical I am practising averages, percentages, ratios, and currency. I've heard there are more, did anyone else practise other topics?
Reply 304
Hello,

Ive just completed the test and I really struggled with the time limits. By the time I'd scrawled down my PC and read the key, half the time had passed! I ran out of time for alot of the questions. Hopefully I did better on the logical test but I'm not holding my breath to be honest. I found the practice questions reasonable, but the actual test were far more difficult for me. Sigh, how did everyone else fair?
Reply 305
Hey guys.

Is anyone else having problems with Oriel? I've made an account etc but when I go to the NHS STP vacancy and click on the blue 'apply here' button, it says I need to log in. So I follow the hyperlink and it says I'm already logged in. No matter how many times I repeatedly log in it says I'm not logged in and redirects me. I've been going in circles for a while now, wtf.

edit: if anyone else has this problem, switch to chrome or another browser that isnt firefox.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 306
Original post by librarygirl
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled with logic. For numerical I am practising averages, percentages, ratios, and currency. I've heard there are more, did anyone else practise other topics?

percentage increase and decrease maybe ? not just what is next years shares are 15% of 2015 if 2015...

What else is there? speed/distance/time? i havent done it yet,,
i made a little sheet with any formulas i may want in case i blank.. id like to have covered everything soo any help here :biggrin:...
Urgh, 250 words!!! It's so hard, bit careless but I ended up writing 400 words for one question, by the time I cut it down I'm like - but there's nothing there anymore!!

Don't get how we're really supposed to sell ourselves, skills and experience when we have to answer such a broad question in such a small word count.

Oh well, just got to get it done I guess!!!

Kind of looking forward to the tests in a way, at least there is a right and wrong answer there!!!
I just got an email saying I need to submit the application by Friday! I thought the deadline was on 14th? It's supposed to be a month since applications start and they've changed it ;/ I thought I got a weekend to do it as I'm at work this week aaaarghhh.. Will need to fill it at night-time :frown:
does anyone remembers if the tests are4 negatively marked? I passed them last year but can't remember it and I'm at work so can't really check.. Also, for those who did the maths part, what type of questions were you getting? Still the percentage, tables etc? Is it 5 questions for 1 table? Thanks x
Original post by Ania1988
I just got an email saying I need to submit the application by Friday! I thought the deadline was on 14th? It's supposed to be a month since applications start and they've changed it ;/ I thought I got a weekend to do it as I'm at work this week aaaarghhh.. Will need to fill it at night-time :frown:

Hey, it has always been the 12th as far as I am aware. The tests are until the 15th.
Reply 311
Hi,
this may have been asked earlier in the thread so apologies if so, but does anyone know how long we have to complete the online tests? Is it the same deadline as the application submission? (I'm hoping not)
Thanks!
Original post by KB974
Hi,
this may have been asked earlier in the thread so apologies if so, but does anyone know how long we have to complete the online tests? Is it the same deadline as the application submission? (I'm hoping not)
Thanks!

Literally JUST wrote this in the post above yours!!!! :tongue:
Just done both tests, i thought the logical was okay, i could tell the questions were getting harder... then i did the numerical and i didn't even understand what the questions were talking about! I ran out of time and guessed 10/12 questions because there were so many economic terms i didn't understand. Whats worse I could tell the questions were getting easier because i was getting them wrong... and yet still i couldn't do any because i didn't understand the terminology... so embarrassing! NOTHING like the practice tests where i was getting A's :frown: Definitely out of the running after that :frown: Hope everyone else questions were more understandable than mine...
(edited 8 years ago)
Not looking forward to these tests!! My numerical skills are pretty good, but a bit worried of all this talk about economic terminology. Seems so pointless, as far as I can tell there would be barely any economics involved in the role!!

I doubt anyone needs to be too worried about being out of the running yet though, they still take more people than they drop and no one seems to be saying they think they've done amazingly!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nightwing_
Not looking forward to these tests!! My numerical skills are pretty good, but a bit worried of all this talk about economic terminology. Seems so pointless, as far as I can tell there would be barely any economics involved in the role!!

I doubt anyone needs to be too worried about being out of the running yet though, they still take more people than they drop and no one seems to be saying they think they've done amazingly!!!

My numerical skills aren't bad either, i've done A level maths and assumed that after doing practice questions etc. on many sites id at least do okay. I think its luck of the draw really, I'm sure the calculations i was required to do weren't hard... but i had no idea what they were even on about! Best of luck :smile:
Reply 316
Original post by Nightwing_
Literally JUST wrote this in the post above yours!!!! :tongue:

Oh yes, Silly me! thank you
Reply 317
Original post by PennyEaton
Just done both tests, i thought the logical was okay, i could tell the questions were getting harder... then i did the numerical and i didn't even understand what the questions were talking about! I ran out of time and guessed 10/12 questions because there were so many economic terms i didn't understand. Whats worse I could tell the questions were getting easier because i was getting them wrong... and yet still i couldn't do any because i didn't understand the terminology... so embarrassing! NOTHING like the practice tests where i was getting A's :frown: Definitely out of the running after that :frown: Hope everyone else questions were more understandable than mine...

What do you all mean by economic terms?!?!?! can you give an example please
Reply 318
Considering that we're all competing against each other, I don't think we should be giving each other examples and help for the tests. If the lowest scoring 30% or so get cut after this stage, then helping you gives you an unfair advantage over us who have already taken it.
Original post by alex83
Considering that we're all competing against each other, I don't think we should be giving each other examples and help for the tests. If the lowest scoring 30% or so get cut after this stage, then helping you gives you an unfair advantage over us who have already taken it.

I don't really see where anyone has given anyone an unfair advantage. Surely stating that they didn't really understand some of the economical terms doesn't really give anyone an advantage as it doesn't give away anything specific? People are always going to ask for examples, but as far as I can see no one has given any away.

Quick Reply