The Student Room Group

good kid, maad city - a small-town kid's A-level journey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Eurgh, are all exam officers like that? Yikes, is the late fee that bad? Oh man, this blows.
I think I do, I don't know - I find it much easier to go through the exam centre (there's only one in Mauritius... :rolleyes: ). I did STEP with them as well. I spoke to them a few days ago, they have no clue what ResultsPlus is so I'll be waiting for ages for the paper copy for my results. Joy. It's a government-run centre, so everybody is lazy and doesn't really care about the work. Makes life more difficult than it needs to be. :lol:

That sounds really bad D:

But none of my friends in the UK have heard of ResultsPlus which is weird O.o
Reply 41
Original post by Zacken
Eurgh, are all exam officers like that? Yikes, is the late fee that bad? Oh man, this blows.
I think I do, I don't know - I find it much easier to go through the exam centre (there's only one in Mauritius... :rolleyes: ). I did STEP with them as well. I spoke to them a few days ago, they have no clue what ResultsPlus is so I'll be waiting for ages for the paper copy for my results. Joy. It's a government-run centre, so everybody is lazy and doesn't really care about the work. Makes life more difficult than it needs to be. :lol:

I have an idea. How about you register early for the 5 modules you're sure you're taking and then do late registration just in case you want to retake something?

Our British Council is just the same. In fact, that's probably the majority of my city. :tongue:

Original post by Student403
50 quid an exam isn't bad, damn! I go to school and for us it's over 100 pounds per exam :rofl: It's ridiculous honestly.

I think they just rip you off based on your location. Pretty unfair
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I have an idea. How about you register early for the 5 modules you're sure you're taking and then do late registration just in case you want to retake something?

Our British Council is just the same. In fact, that's probably the majority of my city. :tongue:

I think they just rip you off based on your location. Pretty unfair

It is really annoying man, considering our school is run by the British Embassy & Council
Reply 43

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Although to be honest, I know I'll get lazy and won't bother re-taking anything if I do that. :lol:

You going to go for it and register S3, then?
It's actually not that bad. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to find chemistry a lot easier than physics. It's like 3 chapters and if your organic is strong, you're set! How was Unit 4 for you this January? I hear it's really difficult to finish that paper.

Yeah I find chemistry easier than physics ( at least for M1 since I've done it) and yeah great news then, I kind of like organic stuff, they're somehow connected!
Actually yeah it was unfortunately :frown: , the questions were normal, nothing too hard, but I got stuck on the graph question, it required 10 points ( with irregular difference) to submit on the x-axis as I can recall with only 2 marks so I left it till the end and I didn't had the chance to complete the question, I was really pissed off!!
The exam was way too long ( for the first time ) and everyone in the hall was still writing when they collected the papers so hope the grade boundaries would be low

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Although to be honest, I know I'll get lazy and won't bother re-taking anything if I do that. :lol:

[video="youtube;JoqDYcCDOTg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg[/video]
Reply 46
Original post by Zacken

I will if you will :wink: (seriously though, please do :colondollar:)

Original post by PlayerBB

I've heard plenty of nightmare stories from Unit 4 takers of how they aren't able to finish the paper. June 15 had some benevolent scaling, so there's hope! The organic chemistry can be nice - it feels like making legos, lol. I suck at transition metals, though. I'm currently trying my best to memorise all those ****ing colours.
I will if you will :wink: (seriously though, please do :colondollar:)

I've heard plenty of nightmare stories from Unit 4 takers of how they aren't able to finish the paper. June 15 had some benevolent scaling, so there's hope! The organic chemistry can be nice - it feels like making legos, lol. I suck at transition metals, though. I'm currently trying my best to memorise all those ****ing colours.

Lol legos can be much more fun though!
Yeah same here, so many colours with a lot of confusion, I heard once in june 2015, some girls went to unit 5 exam with their nails coloured as the transition metals colours so they won't forget lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Yeah same here, so many colours with a lot of confusion, I heard once in june 2015, some girls went to unit 5 exam with their nails coloured as the transition metals colours so they won't forget lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mock wasn't too bad, but there was an odd amino acid test which I think I did **** all in. I suggested the nail polish theory to my friends doing chemistry, but they found way too many loopholes to it like when the solvent is in excess and what ion it is :ahee: The organic and redox parts were quite nice, though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is genius lol
Reply 50
Mock 1, week 1 over. Chemistry is over with (for now...)

I have FP2, FP3, M3 and Physics Unit 5 and 6 next week. I've got a lot of revision to do this weekend (and a UofT interview as well!) I shall start after I take a short nap :sleep:

Meanwhile, @Zacken and @Student403, could you guys maybe suggest some nice M3 papers to boost my confidence up? :redface: I'm going to just do the review exercises and TeeEm's workbooks for FP2 and FP3 since there are like 5 papers and I don't want to run out.

I have FP2, FP3, M3 and Physics Unit 5 and 6 next week. I've got a lot of revision to do this weekend (and a UofT interview as well!) I shall start after I take a short nap :sleep:

Meanwhile, @Zacken and @Student403, could you guys maybe suggest some nice M3 papers to boost my confidence up? :redface: I'm going to just do the review exercises and TeeEm's workbooks for FP2 and FP3 since there are like 5 papers and I don't want to run out.

Well done on getting through half :smile:

Good luck with UofT! Although I heard Canadian ones aren't too intimidating - just be thinking on your feet and be creative :smile:

Hmm well the first one I did was Jan 2006 which I got a higher mark than I expected in
Reply 52

Meanwhile, @Zacken and @Student403, could you guys maybe suggest some nice M3 papers to boost my confidence up? :redface:

Woot! Good job. Next week sounds baaad. Good luck with that! (especially the interview) :smile:

Jan 2009 was a nice M3, iirc.
Reply 53
Well done on getting through half :smile:

Good luck with UofT! Although I heard Canadian ones aren't too intimidating - just be thinking on your feet and be creative :smile:

Hmm well the first one I did was Jan 2006 which I got a higher mark than I expected in

Thank you man, but surviving and actually passing are different things. :tongue:

It's not really an official interview though. I just have to record myself answering a bunch of questions and then type an essay under timed conditions. It sounds pretty awkward...

I will be doing that paper tonight, then. Thank you :smile:
Thank you man, but surviving and actually passing are different things. :tongue:

It's not really an official interview though. I just have to record myself answering a bunch of questions and then type an essay under timed conditions. It sounds pretty awkward...

I will be doing that paper tonight, then. Thank you :smile:

Right awesome :smile:

Ohh yeah sorry it was Waterloo I think that had the easy interview.

Still, I like North American interviews. They're really chill compared to those in the UK
Reply 55
Original post by Zacken
Woot! Good job. Next week sounds baaad. Good luck with that! (especially the interview) :smile:

Jan 2009 was a nice M3, iirc.

Yeah, it does but it starts off nicely because I can actually do Physics Unit 6 and C34 :tongue:

I'll be doing that one as well then. Any advice from the FP2 papers you've done?

My exams officer also said it's impossible for me to register any time after the 20th this month, so I'm gonna have to decide whether or not I should register for F1. Kinda confused. On one hand it doesn't count for the A*, but on the other if I got something like 20 UMS I wont get above an A lol
Yeah, it does but it starts off nicely because I can actually do Physics Unit 6 and C34 :tongue:

I'll be doing that one as well then. Any advice from the FP2 papers you've done?

My exams officer also said it's impossible for me to register any time after the 20th this month, so I'm gonna have to decide whether or not I should register for F1. Kinda confused. On one hand it doesn't count for the A*, but on the other if I got something like 20 UMS I wont get above an A lol

Hm so Unit 6 IAL ph is alright?

That's a relief. Then I just have to worry about unit 5 :redface:
Reply 57
Right awesome :smile:

Ohh yeah sorry it was Waterloo I think that had the easy interview.

Still, I like North American interviews. They're really chill compared to those in the UK

You applied to Waterloo :eek: they boast of the best coop programme in North America. A senior of mine rejected UCLA, UMichigan and a bunch of great schools to go there.

Yeah, a Cam interview sounds super scary... I can't imagine how you or Zain felt. I'm also the least charismatic person you will meet :redface:

Hm so Unit 6 IAL ph is alright?

That's a relief. Then I just have to worry about unit 5 :redface:

As long as you can wrap those uncertainties around your head! You good for the A* in Unit 4? That's my worse paper even though I (think) I know how to mechanics.
You applied to Waterloo :eek: they boast of the best coop programme in North America. A senior of mine rejected UCLA, UMichigan and a bunch of great schools to go there.

Yeah, a Cam interview sounds super scary... I can't imagine how you or Zain felt. I'm also the least charismatic person you will meet :redface:

As long as you can wrap those uncertainties around your head! You good for the A* in Unit 4? That's my worse paper even though I (think) I know how to mechanics.

Nah a lot of my mates did though - I know it has amazing programs tho :biggrin:

That sounds good! I think so but I was more hoping for full UMS which is going to be a hit or miss - I wanted full to ease the pressure off Unit 5 which I heard has harder content
My mock wasn't too bad, but there was an odd amino acid test which I think I did **** all in. I suggested the nail polish theory to my friends doing chemistry, but they found way too many loopholes to it like when the solvent is in excess and what ion it is :ahee: The organic and redox parts were quite nice, though!

Glad to hear that! Yeah, it got some loopholes but if you use it for one specific type of metals and their reactions ( like the ones you're most confused at) then you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending