The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LegalLab
I absolutely feel your pain! At one point I was arguing and I didn't even know what I was arguing about! It's hard to stick to your guns when you have no idea what your guns are but it's comforting to know I wasn't the only one who staggered out in some kind of bemused trance !

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's any consolation, I am someone who has also interviewed at Pump Court Tax Chambers and sunk without a trace (my worst interview ever), so I know how you both feel - I still managed to secure pupillage in that season at another set, so don't let it set you back for too long.
I absolutely feel your pain! At one point I was arguing and I didn't even know what I was arguing about! It's hard to stick to your guns when you have no idea what your guns are but it's comforting to know I wasn't the only one who staggered out in some kind of bemused trance !

Same here - I've all but written that one off after how I think the interview went. Not that it's any consolation, but at least everyone on here seems to have had a similar (painful) experience, so maybe that's what they were going for? Also, wasn't that problem a little long for a 1st round 20min interview? During mine, they actually mentioned that they hadn't manged to get through the whole problem with anyone so far.
Original post by LadyLaw23
Same here - I've all but written that one off after how I think the interview went. Not that it's any consolation, but at least everyone on here seems to have had a similar (painful) experience, so maybe that's what they were going for? Also, wasn't that problem a little long for a 1st round 20min interview? During mine, they actually mentioned that they hadn't manged to get through the whole problem with anyone so far.

I was surprised how long it was as well. I just barely got chance to read the third part so when they were asking questions about it I was literally making it up as I went along. Im certainly not expecting a second round but out of pure interest does anyone know when they might be informing us of the interview outcome?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leigh68
I was a bit thrown by talk about whatever you want, as we had been told we would be provided with a list. It took me about 5 minutes to think of a topic! But I agree, it was fun.

May I ask if you were asked any general questions about yourself towards the end, similar to the first interview?
I was surprised how long it was as well. I just barely got chance to read the third part so when they were asking questions about it I was literally making it up as I went along. Im certainly not expecting a second round but out of pure interest does anyone know when they might be informing us of the interview outcome?

I did ask, they said likely within a week. So to me that means either later this week or early next week.

As for the length of the problem, surely people would have also been better able to show their analytical ability/reasoning skills if they weren't scrambling to finish the exercise? For example, in hindsight, I could have foreseen pretty much every question they asked had I had an extra 5-10mins of prep time, allowing me to reflect on the issues and preempt alternative/opposing arguments. With the length of the problem and the time provided, I only just had enough time to answer the set questions, so any preempting was just down to whatever else went through my head whilst reading it through.
(edited 8 years ago)
Having had my 1st round interview at Wilberforce, that was actually unexpectedly fun :smile: I've no idea how I actually did, but I must say that unlike Pump Court Tax, 1) the problem was the correct length; and 2) they allowed you to put your best foot forward because although they challenged your views and analysis, it wasn't done in a way so as to trip you up on purpose.

So for me at least, whatever happens with this one, I actually enjoyed it and felt I did my best, so no regrets. I only wish more chambers would take a similar approach to interviews, as in my view it does make such a huge difference with regard to students' perceptions of the set and its attitude as a whole, especially if you haven't done a mini there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 446
Good to hear! I have mine tomorrow morning, I hope I come out feeling similarly.
Original post by Tomfish
Good to hear! I have mine tomorrow morning, I hope I come out feeling similarly.

Good luck! I hope you get a similar panel to the one I had. It would be good to hear afterwards if you did indeed have an equally positive experience, or whether I just got lucky.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone heard from Legis chambers?
Original post by LadyLaw23
As for the length of the problem, surely people would have also been better able to show their analytical ability/reasoning skills if they weren't scrambling to finish the exercise?

I assume the element of pressure must be intentional. I wouldn't set that style of interview myself, as I think that tripping people up over points they simply haven't had time to consider doesn't reveal anything about the person. I can understand how it might be a test of the ability to absorb and analyse information quickly but I feel as if the importance of that quality might be being slightly over-emphasised.
Original post by Radebe91
I assume the element of pressure must be intentional. I wouldn't set that style of interview myself, as I think that tripping people up over points they simply haven't had time to consider doesn't reveal anything about the person. I can understand how it might be a test of the ability to absorb and analyse information quickly but I feel as if the importance of that quality might be being slightly over-emphasised.

Agreed. Or at least if setting the interview in that way, I would personally see more merit in asking candidates for their opinions on both sides of the argument, for example, and/or asking 'what if this fact/provision were changed to this' type questions. At least that way, you'd be able to test one's understanding of the general principles and their thought process/analytical ability, without putting them in too awkward a position, because as you said, that doesn't actually reveal anything about the person, except maybe how they handle pressure.

Overall however I think they could have just cut one of the 'years' from the question altogether (or given an extra 10mins prep), thus giving people a better chance to fully think everything through.

Edit: Thinking about it, frankly, the only reason I managed to prep just in time (and not very thoroughly) is because I had a vague recollection of the area of law from my tax module, so I more or less knew the basic yes/no type answers already and just had to dig through the provided materials for the applicable provisions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Totally agree with the above points. Although I feel I held my own I came out of the interview feeling like I hadn't really had the opportunity to actually show any skills other than the ability to stay calm and collected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 452
Original post by Daydreamer1990

Still no word, but I have no idea what the timetable was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Totally agree with the above points. Although I feel I held my own I came out of the interview feeling like I hadn't really had the opportunity to actually show any skills other than the ability to stay calm and collected

+1

But it's done now, so onwards and upwards.
Original post by Leigh68
Still no word, but I have no idea what the timetable was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't heard anything from them post-interview stage either. They said they would get back to us at the beginning of this week. Given that it is already Wednesday, I am slowly losing my hope for that one.
Original post by Pupillagebound
I haven't heard anything from them post-interview stage either. They said they would get back to us at the beginning of this week. Given that it is already Wednesday, I am slowly losing my hope for that one.

Oh I haven't even heard back post application! Can I ask how they notified you originally of the 1st round?
Original post by Tomfish

I hope your interview went well today. Out of interest, how did you find it in terms of the length of the problem and the interviewers' attitudes/types of questions?
Original post by shestheone
Oh I haven't even heard back post application! Can I ask how they notified you originally of the 1st round?

Sorry, I am afraid the interviews, as far as I am aware, were held last week. They notified by phone.
Original post by Daydreamer1990

No word yet. They said they would get back us this week but nothing yet. Called Chambers but the reception didn't know when we'd hear either.
Original post by Pupillagebound
Sorry, I am afraid the interviews, as far as I am aware, were held last week. They notified by phone.

Was this by any chance in a phone call from a withheld number on 4th Jan?

Sorry to be specific but I had a voicemail from a female that cut out before the necessary information was left. I never bothered looking into it at the time as I thought if it was important they'd call back or email.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending