The Student Room Group

Psycology or Biology?

Hi all,

I need some advice - I am applying to sixth form and seriously considering changing Psychology to Biology. I'm hoping to study A-Level sports and hopefully go on to do a degree in physical education at Loughborough. Loughborough consider both to be a science but which one do I pick... Help guys!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by _chloeematt
Hi all,

I need some advice - I am applying to sixth form and seriously considering changing Psychology to Biology. I'm hoping to study A-Level sports and hopefully go on to do a degree in physical education at Loughborough. Loughborough consider both to be a science but which one do I pick... Help guys!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

I did both at AS level and firstly I would say biology is all in all harder than psychology and they are structured differently, psychology is heavily essay based and more fact recall than application whilst biology is mostly short answers and application.

If you're a high attaining student, then I would say biology may be better because it relates more directly to PE and still covers aspects of psychology e.g. action potentials.

However, psychology also has its links to PE and is highly interesting but I find the AS generally focuses on approaches to psychology and less so on applications, particularly with regards to sports related psychology.

Both are great, but biology does look better on your application and in my biased opinion (because I'm off to study biology at uni) biology is better :P

The most important thing to do is choose what you're interested in :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LWL
Hey,

I did both at AS level and firstly I would say biology is all in all harder than psychology and they are structured differently, psychology is heavily essay based and more fact recall than application whilst biology is mostly short answers and application.

If you're a high attaining student, then I would say biology may be better because it relates more directly to PE and still covers aspects of psychology e.g. action potentials.

However, psychology also has its links to PE and is highly interesting but I find the AS generally focuses on approaches to psychology and less so on applications, particularly with regards to sports related psychology.

Both are great, but biology does look better on your application and in my biased opinion (because I'm off to study biology at uni) biology is better :P

The most important thing to do is choose what you're interested in :smile:

Hello :3 thank you so much for replying - what about at A2 because ultimately I would be taking this for 2 years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I do both biology and psychology and I can openly say biology is way harder than what psychology is at AS and now at A2. I enjoy psychology better than biology, much more interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hello :3 thank you so much for replying - what about at A2 because ultimately I would be taking this for 2 years?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I decided to drop psychology for A2 simply because I needed biology and chemistry for my degree and I got a higher UMS in geography.

From what I hear from friends, psychology is similar to all subjects in that A2 isn't all too different from AS except the difficulty increases and psychology becomes more essay based (at least for the AQA B exam board)

Biology is challenging at A2. For AQA, the first A2 exam is relatively similar to AS but the second exam is very difficult and involves a 25 mark essay which requires you to go beyond what the specification requires you to learn... despite this it's incredibly interesting.

Strangely enough, one of my friends doing Biology and Psychology A2 who wants to study Zoology has more motivation to study psychology than biology... but that of course is subjective
Psychology!!
Reply 6
Currently doing both at AS and I only really suggest doing Biology if you have an interest in it as you'll develop a strong dislike for it if you don't. I agree with what is said above also, I find Biology much harder.
Ultimately it's down to what you think you'll do better in if Loughborough is accepting either as a requirement, but be wise, you don't want to be doing something you don't find interesting for 2 years, as that'll just lead to a worse grade due to lack of motivation to revise.
I wish you the best of luck with whatever though.
Reply 7
Original post by 8radley
Currently doing both at AS and I only really suggest doing Biology if you have an interest in it as you'll develop a strong dislike for it if you don't. I agree with what is said above also, I find Biology much harder.
Ultimately it's down to what you think you'll do better in if Loughborough is accepting either as a requirement, but be wise, you don't want to be doing something you don't find interesting for 2 years, as that'll just lead to a worse grade due to lack of motivation to revise.
I wish you the best of luck with whatever though.

Thank you - Loughborough except both as sciences so was wandering which one to pick.. Thank you all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiii!!! I do both biology and psychology and thoroughly enjoy them both!!!

Biology is way way harder for me personally as I suck at application questions but I guess if the subject was easy it would be boring?!

Psychology is pretty straight forward, in the sense you can practically teach yourself (my textbook is pretty good) but there is a lot to remember and its not always as interesting - check your course spec. My was approaches and research methods which are kinda yawn, boring!!!

Message me if you want info!!! Xx
Reply 9
Hi all,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently doing psychology & I'm finding it alright now. It really depends on u yourself, ask the teachers what u will be doing in both these topics. I know that psychology is basically essays and if u do prefer that then I think its good for u. Also, there is a LOT of case studies u need to remember, but once u get into it, I think it'll be okay.
best of luck with everything. Xx

Quick Reply

Latest