The Student Room Group

Is anyone applying for museum studies/curating/art history?

Is anyone applying for museum studies/curating/art history? Seems like I'm the only one...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolalotte
Is anyone applying for museum studies/curating/art history? Seems like I'm the only one...

Fascinating subjects. Where have you applied, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 2
Heya, I applied at St Andrews for Museum and Gallery Studies! Where did you apply?
Original post by Museum
Heya, I applied at St Andrews for Museum and Gallery Studies! Where did you apply?

I applied for an entirely different subject, but I just find it 'cool' that you're applying for these. Sorry, was curious :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Aceadria
Fascinating subjects. Where have you applied, if you don't mind me asking?

I applied for
Courtauld, curating the art museum
Royal College of Arts, curating contemporary arts
Manchester, Art Gallery and Museum studies
UCL, Museum studies

I'm not familiar with schools in Europe, so if you know anything about these schools I would love to hear your opinion. :smile: Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Museum

I applied for Courtauld, curating the art museum Royal College of Arts, curating contemporary artsManchester, Art Gallery and Museum studiesUCL, Museum studies

I'm not familiar with schools in Europe, so if you know anything about these schools I would love to hear your opinion. :smile: Thanks!
Actually, I dont even know about St. Andrews. Is it a good program? is it in london?
Hi @lolalotte

You're not alone! I've applied for/am applying for:

MA Art History and Visual Culture at Richmond University
MA Art and Visual Culture at UCL
MA Museum and Gallery Studies at Kingston University
MA Art and Visual Culture at Westminster University

I have my first interview - a phone interview with Richmond tomorrow. Very nervous and hoping it goes well!

My undergrad was in Creative Writing and my career so far (I graduated 7 years ago) has focused on writing and editing. So I guess the biggest thing will be ensuring I get across my passion for art and why I want to effectively move into a new area for postgrad.

Best of luck with your applications :-) Let us know how you get on!
Reply 7
hey there, I applied at St Andrews for personal reasons. St Andrews is a well known university on the scottish east coast.
I am about to finish my bachelor's degree in Museology and Art History so I plan to deepen my knowledge and skills.
Reply 8
Not a lot of jobs...
I'm applying from outside of the UK for Museum studies program in the UK. I've submitted applications to Leicester and Royal Holloway so far, but will probably do a couple more.
Reply 10
Original post by deborah_bl
Hi @lolalotte

You're not alone! I've applied for/am applying for:

MA Art History and Visual Culture at Richmond University
MA Art and Visual Culture at UCL
MA Museum and Gallery Studies at Kingston University
MA Art and Visual Culture at Westminster University

I have my first interview - a phone interview with Richmond tomorrow. Very nervous and hoping it goes well!

My undergrad was in Creative Writing and my career so far (I graduated 7 years ago) has focused on writing and editing. So I guess the biggest thing will be ensuring I get across my passion for art and why I want to effectively move into a new area for postgrad.

Best of luck with your applications :-) Let us know how you get on!

OMG interviews are so nerve wrecking...good luck! Yea so far I'm still waiting for courtauld...trying to wait in peace haha but gosh im nervous!
Reply 11
Original post by Anastasia_157
I'm applying from outside of the UK for Museum studies program in the UK. I've submitted applications to Leicester and Royal Holloway so far, but will probably do a couple more.

Are you from the UK? I thought it'll be a good experience to study in London. What made you decide to apply outside of UK?
Good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by Museum
hey there, I applied at St Andrews for personal reasons. St Andrews is a well known university on the scottish east coast.
I am about to finish my bachelor's degree in Museology and Art History so I plan to deepen my knowledge and skills.

Museology and art history sounds like a great program. Wow I wish my school had that for undergrad.
Are you from the UK? I thought it'll be a good experience to study in London. What made you decide to apply outside of UK?
Good luck!

Hi there! I am not. I'm from the States. Studying in London would be amazing! I would really like to intern somewhere in London.
Reply 14

Durham has a good program.

Hi there! I am not. I'm from the States. Studying in London would be amazing! I would really like to intern somewhere in London.

I hope you have savings.
Original post by Josb

I hope you have savings.

Original post by Josb

I hope you have savings.

I do have savings, I was lucky while I was doing undergrad and had the availability to save. To be honest the programs in the UK are about on par with what it would cost me to do my master's here. Cost of living is a bit higher and availability of scholarships in my field are a bit less, but you also spend less time to complete a program.
I'll check out the program in Durham, thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16

We're on the same boat then. haha I'm from Canada. I would love to spend a year in Europe! so excited :biggrin:
We're on the same boat then. haha I'm from Canada. I would love to spend a year in Europe! so excited :biggrin:

So cool! I feel like museum studies programs are so small that I worry about sticking out. Which side of the continent are you from??
Reply 18
So cool! I feel like museum studies programs are so small that I worry about sticking out. Which side of the continent are you from??

Same! Seems like everyone is applying for history of arts....I'm starting to worry about whether i made the right decision to apply for museum studies or not. I thought museum studies would be great since it doesn't limit my job hunt to art galleries only. Natural history museums would be a cool place to work too. What do you think?I'm from Toronto!
Same! Seems like everyone is applying for history of arts....I'm starting to worry about whether i made the right decision to apply for museum studies or not. I thought museum studies would be great since it doesn't limit my job hunt to art galleries only. Natural history museums would be a cool place to work too. What do you think?I'm from Toronto!

I 100% think that museum studies is the right choice. I don't want to be limited to art galleries either, and depending on the MA you'll get more hands on experience with museums that you can list on your CVs. To be honest I don't want to work in galleries at all. I want to work in museums. I have my eye on the V&A, and am actually now considering adding Kingston to my roster of applications. I know the V&A is a super large dream with the state that visas are in right now, but everyone has to have dreams right? To be honest I think that Museum studies gives you a better range of skills, while history of arts gives you something more narrow. Museum studies could easily translate into museums, art galleries, business, etc, while I think history of arts would set you up for either art galleries, museums or academia.
I feel much more comfortable perusing a MA in museum studies than I would history of arts.
I'm from WA state, so we are opposite coasts.

Quick Reply

Latest