The Student Room Group

Audiology or Physiotherapy?

Hi there,
I am currently on my gap year (you can probably tell by my name aha), and am wanting to start uni in September. I am stuck between audiology and physio though, so need a bit of advice from students/graduates in these fields.
I already have my A2 grades, ABBC in maths, biology, physics and chemistry respectively. I would like to consider the possibility of going on to do a medical degree after each of these degrees as well.

Anyway, just wanted some general ideas on what would be the best degree to do. Also considering that I'll have to pay 9000 pounds a year for audiology whereas physiotherapy is paid for by the NHS.

Original post by GapYear123456
Hi there,
I am currently on my gap year (you can probably tell by my name aha), and am wanting to start uni in September. I am stuck between audiology and physio though, so need a bit of advice from students/graduates in these fields.
I already have my A2 grades, ABBC in maths, biology, physics and chemistry respectively. I would like to consider the possibility of going on to do a medical degree after each of these degrees as well.

Anyway, just wanted some general ideas on what would be the best degree to do. Also considering that I'll have to pay 9000 pounds a year for audiology whereas physiotherapy is paid for by the NHS.

Anyone? :tongue:
Reply 2
Id definately recommend getting some work experience in both fields to give you a greater understanding of them both. I am going to be studying physiotherapy in September and can tell you that work exp for the physio apps is absolutely essential so definately get trying to organise some as it can take months:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone? :tongue:

Thanks for the reply! Any other advice to decide between the courses guys?
Bummmmmmp
Reply 5
Bummmmmmp

Are you intending to go this september through clearing? If you mean sept 2017 then the fees would no longer be funded by the nhs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slurry90
Are you intending to go this september through clearing? If you mean sept 2017 then the fees would no longer be funded by the nhs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,
The fees for audiology are not funded by the nhs anyway even this year!
Reply 7
Yes, fees are payable for Audiology courses - doesn't quite seem fair, but that's how it is. (Not sure about the fees situation at Swansea though.) I'm in the first year of an Audiology degree at Southampton and loving it. I agree with Slurry90 ^^^ about getting work experience in both fields - hopefully that should clarify which you want to do.
Reply 8
Hi, did you do your work experience at a physiotherapy place or?
Reply 9
Original post by momo78692
Hi, did you do your work experience at a physiotherapy place or?

I spent a day in Audiology at a local hospital, but it's also possible to do this with private providers like Specsavers or Boots.
Look for work experience in both fields. I got a 2 day placement at a local Boots shadowing an Audiologist. Just ask around and contact everyone you know to see if they might know Audiologist/Physiotherapist who would be willing to let you shadow them, and apply to local hospitals if they have a work experience programme.
I've heard/seen that Audiologists generally have a 'quieter' job as they don't have a massive amount of patients (especially in the private sector where it can get really quiet) but I guess it depends on your area. I haven't heard anything about that about physiotherapy though.
The course at Swansea Uni is funded by NHS Wales, btw.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest