The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Student Money Week
Ask us about the new Postgraduate Loan now!

I have just completed a self funded Masters in Visual Communication. I would like to apply to student finance for a loan so I can study a PGCE in Lifelong learning. Would I be eligible for support? Thanks
Reply 21
I'm a mature student (over 30) how can I fund post-grad study?
If I do a PGCE will it be govt. funded? What about if I do a masters in a chosen subject? will that be funded?
Original post by Cherrypieness
I would like to know if you can still apply for the postagtaduate loan and is the NHS bursary funding for postagtaduate students still available?

Applications for the new Postgraduate Loan from SFE haven’t opened yet. More detailed information about the application process and launch date will be available in April/May. You should keep an eye on the studentfinance zone and on our Facebook and Twitter pages then so you can apply as soon as the applications open. You can find out information about NHS bursarieson the NHS Business Services Authority website and there are two live webchats planed where you’ll be able to ask specific questions about NHS funding NHS, Social Work and Medicine funding by NASMA on Wednesday from 1-2 and Funding for NHS courses on Thursday from 3-4 where experts from the NHS Business Service Authority will be able to answer your questions.

Laura
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sal3211
so they will pay my tuition fee loan and give me a up to 10,000 for my living costs right?

Original post by Sal3211
is the postgraduate loan the same as the the undergraduate loan , for example the government will help me with my tuition fee and my living costs thanks please help and explain fully to me thanks.

The new Postgraduate Loan is different from the student loans you received for your undergraduate course. You can apply for one loan of up to £10,000 for the duration of your course, which can be up to two years if you’re studying a full-time course, or four years if you’re studying a part-time course. This loan will be paid directly to you and it’s up to you if you use it for your course fees or living costs, unlike any loans for undergraduate courses there isn’t a specific loan just for tuition fees. You can read our quick guide or watch our film for an introduction to Postgraduate Loans and more detailed information will be available in April/May.
Original post by Vasilij123
Hi

I am EU national and have been studying in Scotland for undergraduate degree. Next year, I would like to do master degree in England. I found information that:

"You must be resident in England prior to the beginning of your course. Exceptions may apply to EU students"

"In order to be eligible you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least three years on the first day of the academic year in which your course begins. In addition, you must have most recently been resident in England."

Am I considered to be "EU student" or "student from Scotland"?

Can you please let me know if I am eligible for a postgraduate loan?

Thanks.

Normally to be eligible for any student finance from SFE you have to be ordinarily resident in England before the start of your course. This means you have to live in England before your course starts and not have moved there just to start studying. More specific details about who can get a Postgraduate Loan will be available in April/May in the student finance zone.

You’re right that there are normally some differences for EU students who aren’t living in England. Theyusually have to be living the EEA or Switzerland for three years before the start of the first academic year of their course to get student finance.
Laura
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jerzyk-k89
Hi. I would like to ask one very important question for me. I'm interested in postgraduate studies in London. I graduated civil engineering in technical university in Poland where they are free . I found the information in the internet that according to NARIC, the level of education (5 years studies, 2 stages) which we call in Poland " master of science" = Bachelor Honurs in UK. The exceptions are graduates of technical universities, whose diplomas are recognized as MSc. I read in the rules of loans thati can not have equivalent "self funded" qualifications, however my qualifications wasn't self-funded beacasue it was free. "Am I eligible to take advantage of the loan for postgraduate studies in UK?Thank you

You can’t normally get student finance if you already havean equivalent or higher level qualification to the course you want to start;this still applies even if you got your previous qualification overseas. So, if you already have is the equivalent to a MSc in the UK then it’s likely you won’t be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for your new course. More specific details about who can get a Postgraduate Loan will be available in April/May in the student finance zone Laura
Original post by eyvab
I have just completed a self funded Masters in Visual Communication. I would like to apply to student finance for a loan so I can study a PGCE in Lifelong learning. Would I be eligible for support? Thanks

Funding for PGCEs is the same as for undergraduate courses,so you wouldn’t get a Postgraduate Loan for this course.

You can find out more about the student finance available for PGCE courses in the student finance zone
It says that EU students may be eligible for this loan. I would like to know what criteria I'd have to meet to be able to apply?
Original post by BexJ30
I'm a mature student (over 30) how can I fund post-grad study?
If I do a PGCE will it be govt. funded? What about if I do a masters in a chosen subject? will that be funded?

Funding for PGCEs is the same as for undergraduate courses,you can find out more about this in the student finance zone.

If you do a postgraduate Master’s course you can apply for the new Postgraduate Loan. You’ll be able to apply for a loan of up to £10,000 as a contribution towards your course and/or living costs.

You can read our quick guide or watch our film for an introduction to Postgraduate Loans and more detailed information will be available in April/May.

Is Maintenance Loan for the living element provided alongside it or is it purely the £10,000 towards the cost of the masters you are giving. Can you still apply for masters funding if you have a first degree and have done a graduate NHS course such as Medicine?

What are the specific details of the eligibility criteria for the postgraduate loans?

The guide to the Postgraduate Loan Scheme at www.findamasters.com explains that you must be a resident in England to be eligible. My home address is in England, but am currently studying at Cardiff University and therefore have spent most of the past three years in Wales. Will I still be eligible for the postgraduate loan?

Also, I phoned up the Student Loans Company last week with some questions about the postgraduate loans. The lady I spoke to said that applicants will not be eligible for the postgraduate loans if they owe any arrears to the Student Loans Company, and she specifically said that this includes any unpaid undergraduate loans. Is this true? I haven't been able to find confirmation of this anywhere else, so I suspect (and hope) that I may have misunderstood her.
Original post by ChristaD
It says that EU students may be eligible for this loan. I would like to know what criteria I'd have to meet to be able to apply?

Full details about who will be eligible for Postgraduate Loans will be available in April/May.

Keep an eye on the student finance zone and on our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.In the mean time you can read our quick guide or watch our film for an introduction.
Hi, I understand and except more information will be available in April/May but wanted to ask a few more questions. I will have been living in south Korea for two years before my course starts in September 2016 however I have only been on temporary contracts and do have documentation that lists me currently as a British citizen working abroad. I am still a little concerned living outside the UK for a short period and directly prior to my masters course starting may stop my application from being accepted. (The Univeristy is only charging me home fees not international).
I had also heard that SFE only funded people for up to three years of studies. I have already had that in my undergraduate degree so will the rules change to allow a fourth year (masters degree).

What are the application process forms likely to be like? I know it is potentially too early to answer this specific question, but for example will there be many forms and will we need other people to complete forms too. I mainly say this as I am nervous that applications will only start in the summer and I may need to send important paperwork back and forth and that ultimately the loan will come to me later than the course start date.

Any information you could share would be appreicated.

Kind regards,

Michael
Will the postgraduate loan be available for students who usually live in England, but will study at Ulster University (Northern Ireland) for their masters/postgraduate degree?
Hi AngryRedhead

You can apply for one loan of up to £10,000 for the duration of your course.
This loan will be paid directly to you and it’s up to you if you use it for your course fees or living costs, unlike any loans for undergraduate courses there isn't a specific loan just for tuition fees.

The eligibility details haven’t yet been confirmed. More information will be published in April/May so keep an eye on the student finance zone and on our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.
Original post by Thaladan
What are the specific details of the eligibility criteria for the postgraduate loans?

The guide to the Postgraduate Loan Scheme at www.findamasters.com explains that you must be a resident in England to be eligible. My home address is in England, but am currently studying at Cardiff University and therefore have spent most of the past three years in Wales. Will I still be eligible for the postgraduate loan?

Also, I phoned up the Student Loans Company last week with some questions about the postgraduate loans. The lady I spoke to said that applicants will not be eligible for the postgraduate loans if they owe any arrears to the Student Loans Company, and she specifically said that this includes any unpaid undergraduate loans. Is this true? I haven't been able to find confirmation of this anywhere else, so I suspect (and hope) that I may have misunderstood her.

Hi Thaladan

The eligibility details haven’t yet been confirmed.The information on the findamasters website is based on the proposals but these are still subject to parliamentary approval.

More information will be published in April/May so keep an eye on the student finance zone and on our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.

Having a previous undergradate loan won’t affect your eligibility for a Postgraduate Loan as long as you’re not currently in arrears.

You’d only be in arrears if you were earning over the repayment threshold and for some reason weren’t making payments. For example, if you were working overseas, earning above the repayment threshold but, because you’re out with the UK tax system, we couldn’t take payments from your salary.

If you have a previous loan with us but you’re not making payments because you’re not earning over the repayment threshold, you would not be considered to be in arrears.

For more information about repaying your student loans go to www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk
Original post by MikeEJudd
Hi, I understand and except more information will be available in April/May but wanted to ask a few more questions. I will have been living in south Korea for two years before my course starts in September 2016 however I have only been on temporary contracts and do have documentation that lists me currently as a British citizen working abroad. I am still a little concerned living outside the UK for a short period and directly prior to my masters course starting may stop my application from being accepted. (The Univeristy is only charging me home fees not international).
I had also heard that SFE only funded people for up to three years of studies. I have already had that in my undergraduate degree so will the rules change to allow a fourth year (masters degree).

What are the application process forms likely to be like? I know it is potentially too early to answer this specific question, but for example will there be many forms and will we need other people to complete forms too. I mainly say this as I am nervous that applications will only start in the summer and I may need to send important paperwork back and forth and that ultimately the loan will come to me later than the course start date.

Any information you could share would be appreicated.

Kind regards,

Michael

Hi Michael

Unfortunately we can’t currently advise on the eligibility details for Postgraduate Loans as these are still subject to parliamentary approval and could change.

We’re working hard to make the application process as simple and straight forward as possible. If you’re able to provide everything we need with your application there shouldn’t be any need to complete additional forms or for anyone else to complete a form on your behalf.

The Postgraduate Loan applications will open this summer but the exact date hasn’t been confirmed yet. More detailed information will be available in April/May, including details about the application forms and process.Keep an eye on the student finance zone and our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates on the launch date.

I’m sorry we can’t provide more detailed information at this time.

I am starting a Graduate Diploma in Law in October - part-time, distance learning so it will take me two years. It is my intention to progress to the Masters in Law - again part-time distance learning over two years. I work full-time and take home about £15k. Will I be able to/am I better off taking the loan up front and trying to invest some of it towards paying off the MA later - splitting the costs between the loan and my pay? Or should I pay for as much of the Diploma as possible from pay and seek a loan elsewhere - applying for the postgraduate loan only once I start the MA? I paid for my last MA out of pocket as I studied but degrees were much cheaper a few years ago! My BA was overseas so this would be my first experience of a student loan.
Original post by Beckie2027
Will the postgraduate loan be available for students who usually live in England, but will study at Ulster University (Northern Ireland) for their masters/postgraduate degree?

Hi Beckie

Unfortunately the specific eligibility details for Postgraduate Loans haven’t yet been confirmed.

More information will be published in April/May so keep an eye on the student finance zone and on our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.
Original post by AmyTheerman
I am starting a Graduate Diploma in Law in October - part-time, distance learning so it will take me two years. It is my intention to progress to the Masters in Law - again part-time distance learning over two years. I work full-time and take home about £15k. Will I be able to/am I better off taking the loan up front and trying to invest some of it towards paying off the MA later - splitting the costs between the loan and my pay? Or should I pay for as much of the Diploma as possible from pay and seek a loan elsewhere - applying for the postgraduate loan only once I start the MA? I paid for my last MA out of pocket as I studied but degrees were much cheaper a few years ago! My BA was overseas so this would be my first experience of a student loan.

Hi Amy

Unfortunately we’re unable to give financial advice regarding the best way of funding your studies it’s really up to you!

However, we’re hosting a webchat called‘Advice on budgeting and debt’ with Blackbullion and they might be able to offer some advice if you want to put your question to them.

Latest

Trending

Trending