The Student Room Group

HELP!! - Do I go to uni or not?

I have always had my mind set on going to University and becoming a children's nurse, I have never had any doubt in my mind about it at all. But since I applied in November, the more I think about it the more I become unsure about going. I just don't feel ready to go to University yet or move out or anything. But then there is a part of me that does want to go and achieve the career I want, I also don't want to let anyone down by not going. Everyone always says to never do a nursing course unless you are 100% about going, and right now I'm not sure I am 100% sure about doing it this year

I got rejected from the two Universities closest to me so if I was to go to Uni I would 100% have to move out. I have an interview at UWE next week and I don't know whether to go to it? Do I still go and put my self through it all just in case? Or do I withdraw?

I don't know if to completely withdraw my application, take a year off and apply next year? Or do I leave my application and attend the interviews anyway?
Someone Help?!
Why are you so worried about moving out? It's not like you can't go back after your studies are over/in the holiday times.
Original post by Jack Butters
Why are you so worried about moving out? It's not like you can't go back after your studies are over/in the holiday times.

I don't really know. I've always been a very family orientated person and I'm very close with my parents, I am also very young compared to other people as my birthday isn't until July. I know other people move out and go to Uni who are in the same boat as me, they also have a late birthday and are close with their family, but I just don't feel ready to move out yet.
Original post by charlottelucy-x
I don't really know. I've always been a very family orientated person and I'm very close with my parents, I am also very young compared to other people as my birthday isn't until July. I know other people move out and go to Uni who are in the same boat as me, they also have a late birthday and are close with their family, but I just don't feel ready to move out yet.

Are you 17 or 18 in July? I will still be 17 when I start uni like hundreds of others. I'm excited and a bit nervous of that too. Esp when my folks tease me that they're either renting out my bedroom or moving to a new house and not telling me where it is - I think they're joking😳😄

I wouldn't worry about your age, there will be plenty of people in a similar situation I'm sure. in regards to being very family orientated, that's just a part of life. you can't live with your parents forever. I've already moved out so I can't give you first hand experience, but I imagine that moving out and going to somewhere new where you will be surrounded by new friends would be a pretty awesome situation, and you should bare in mind that there are a fair amount of holidays at university so there is no reason why you cant go to see your family during those times or they come to see you.
Original post by DougallnDougall
Are you 17 or 18 in July? I will still be 17 when I start uni like hundreds of others. I'm excited and a bit nervous of that too. Esp when my folks tease me that they're either renting out my bedroom or moving to a new house and not telling me where it is - I think they're joking😳😄

I turn 18 in July. hahaa, yeah I think they're joking too :wink:
Original post by Jack Butters
I wouldn't worry about your age, there will be plenty of people in a similar situation I'm sure. in regards to being very family orientated, that's just a part of life. you can't live with your parents forever. I've already moved out so I can't give you first hand experience, but I imagine that moving out and going to somewhere new where you will be surrounded by new friends would be a pretty awesome situation, and you should bare in mind that there are a fair amount of holidays at university so there is no reason why you cant go to see your family during those times or they come to see you.

Yeah I thought that about the holidays and visiting too, but when I went to one of my interviews the other week they said that Nursing students only get 7 weeks of holiday a year and we basically have to carry out a full time job at the same time as Uni so we don't really have much spare time. But yeah, I know it's part of life, I will have to move out at some point, I mean I cant live with my mum and dad forever, I think about doing it sometimes now when my family annoy me :wink: hahaa..but I am just not sure right now is the right time for me to move out, everyone's different I guess, some people are comfortable with it at this age and others aren't.
Yeah I thought that about the holidays and visiting too, but when I went to one of my interviews the other week they said that Nursing students only get 7 weeks of holiday a year and we basically have to carry out a full time job at the same time as Uni so we don't really have much spare time. But yeah, I know it's part of life, I will have to move out at some point, I mean I cant live with my mum and dad forever, I think about doing it sometimes now when my family annoy me :wink: hahaa..but I am just not sure right now is the right time for me to move out, everyone's different I guess, some people are comfortable with it at this age and others aren't.

It depends on the university but I would say to bare in mind that especially after 1st year those holidays might not match "normal" holidays patterns for instance christmas for me next year means being back in the day after new years. I d say wait until you feel ready to move out.
Original post by claireestelle
It depends on the university but I would say to bare in mind that especially after 1st year those holidays might not match "normal" holidays patterns for instance christmas for me next year means being back in the day after new years. I d say wait until you feel ready to move out.

It was Southampton that told me I would have 2 weeks at christmas, 2 at easter, and 3 weeks at summer (but they wouldn't be until the end of august). Should I withdraw from my interview at UWE next week? or should I still go?
I guess I agree with Claire, if the holiday times are going to be cut back a lot then that's definitely something you have to consider. different situations for different people I suppose.
Reply 10
If you don't feel ready then don't go just yet. But I would advise doing something constructive toward your planned career in the meantime.

If you aren't completely sure and this may simply be a pre-enrolment nervous wobble, then go to your application interviews. You can withdraw right up until enrolling on a course.
It was Southampton that told me I would have 2 weeks at christmas, 2 at easter, and 3 weeks at summer (but they wouldn't be until the end of august). Should I withdraw from my interview at UWE next week? or should I still go?

I would go to the interview just to have the experience of having an interview. I dont go to southampton but have similar amounts of weeks for holidays, however my "easter" holiday next year is at the beginning of march and "christmas" although it includes christmas doesnt include having new years off, i only get that off because we get bank holidays off.
Reply 12
I would go to the interview for the experience and to get a feel of the uni, even if you don't plan on going. I was not 100% sure about going to university so I took a year out, family were not too happy, but I am happy with the decision I made.

Did you get rejected from the unis close to home because of grades, if so, could you do some retakes if you took a year out, maybe get a part time job or work experience?

It's totally up to you but I would say have a gap year, do things you enjoy during it, but also try and find work and experience. This will help you in the long term and also give you time to think, and can be talked about on cv's and future job interviews.

After all, there is no rush to go to university if you are not ready and why not take a year out while your still young...you have the rest of your life to focus on a career, well...that's what I think anyway...

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Bobbs

After all, there is no rush to go to university if you are not ready and why not take a year out while your still young...you have the rest of your life to focus on a career, well...that's what I think anyway...

This. Whilst I would advise using your time constructively beforehand, in all honesty, there is absolutely no rush. Explore the world of work and find out exactly what you are passionate about. Don't make your break too extreme though... [cough] like me [cough] 20years.
Original post by Bobbs
I would go to the interview for the experience and to get a feel of the uni, even if you don't plan on going. I was not 100% sure about going to university so I took a year out, family were not too happy, but I am happy with the decision I made.

Did you get rejected from the unis close to home because of grades, if so, could you do some retakes if you took a year out, maybe get a part time job or work experience?

It's totally up to you but I would say have a gap year, do things you enjoy during it, but also try and find work and experience. This will help you in the long term and also give you time to think, and can be talked about on cv's and future job interviews.

This has helped a lot! Thank you so much. I am speaking to my parents when they get home from work so we can talk about how I really feel about all of this. Because you are right, there's no rush to go straight from college to Uni, I'm on 17 I have time to take a year off and get more experience and do things I enjoy, maybe a year out of education will do me some good :smile: And I got rejected by the ones close to me because I did not do so well on the maths entry tests, I was unsure about what was going to be on these so did not revise the right things, so also having a year off will give me time to do some appropriate maths revision. Thank you again :smile:
Reply 15
This has helped a lot! Thank you so much. I am speaking to my parents when they get home from work so we can talk about how I really feel about all of this. Because you are right, there's no rush to go straight from college to Uni, I'm on 17 I have time to take a year off and get more experience and do things I enjoy, maybe a year out of education will do me some good :smile: And I got rejected by the ones close to me because I did not do so well on the maths entry tests, I was unsure about what was going to be on these so did not revise the right things, so also having a year off will give me time to do some appropriate maths revision. Thank you again :smile:

No problem, I'm glad I have helped :smile:

I felt exactly like you a few months ago. Not sure about whether the uni course I applied to was really for me, and not sure if I was ready to move out. People keep asking me if I regret not going to university straight away but why would I, it's the best decision I could have made.

I got myself a part time job and am enjoying the money, this has helped me meet new people, and get connections + people I know to give me references. (There are part time jobs you can get in the nhs for students...just like general admin and stuff) I also invested in a netflix account, read books I actually want to read, and go out explore new and different places (in the uk rather than going abroad) without the guilt of 'ohh noo i should be studying'! so am genuinely enjoying my time away from education. I'm also about to start volunteering for an animal home next week.... so things are looking good and I think doing things like this will give you an advantage in the long run...rather than someone who went halfheartedly straight to university.

Also, if you have any friends at university you could always go and stay with them and visit them for a couple of days which will give you an idea if you would like to move out?

Hehe sorry for the long posts, but I could have done with some help a few months back when I was making my decision, instead I got myself in a state of confusion over it.... so I hope I have helped :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest