The Student Room Group

Want to pursue career in computers.

What are some of the qualities needed if a person wants to do a computer science course at university? Also, is it very competitive and what kind of knowledge will you need before joining the university? Are there high expectations as to the experience/knowledge you have about computers when applying at a university?
(edited 8 years ago)
This is lacking structure and you used full stops in the place of question marks. I'm sorry but on a UCAS or job application, you would be torn apart for not having immaculate spelling, punctuation and grammar. Additionally, there is very little information given regarding why you might or might not be intelligent or creative. Furthermore, we do not even know what you mean by wanting to pursue a career in computing. Do you want a degree? Do you want to do A Level?
Reply 2
Original post by AdHominem
This is lacking structure and you used full stops in the place of question marks. I'm sorry but on a UCAS or job application, you would be torn apart for not having immaculate spelling, punctuation and grammar. Additionally, there is very little information given regarding why you might or might not be intelligent or creative. Furthermore, we do not even know what you mean by wanting to pursue a career in computing. Do you want a degree? Do you want to do A Level?

My bad! I was really stressed when I wrote the original post. :smile:
Anyway, could you please help me with my questions. Do you have any experience regarding programming? Thanks in advance.
Reply 3
What do you mean? Are you suggesting I do an undergrad in maths for instance, and then do a masters in computers? I'm considering that option but I am worried that I will be at a disadvantage when compared to students who have done their undergrad in computer science.
Original post by Alexis1729
What do you mean? Are you suggesting I do an undergrad in maths for instance, and then do a masters in computers? I'm considering that option but I am worried that I will be at a disadvantage when compared to students who have done their undergrad in computer science.

You don't need the masters. Any of Maths/CS/Physics/Other STEM are all on par. It's more about what skills and proficiencies in languages you develop than a degree.

Degrees don't land you jobs, they're just a nice tick box to get you noticed - the rest will be from your actual skills (hard ones) and personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexis1729
What are some of the qualities needed if a person wants to do a computer science course at university? Also, is it very competitive and what kind of knowledge will you need before joining the university? Are there high expectations as to the experience/knowledge you have about computers when applying at a university?

Follow your dreams. :colonhash:
Reply 6
I think I would like to do something in machine learning perhaps.
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
You don't need the masters. Any of Maths/CS/Physics/Other STEM are all on par. It's more about what skills and proficiencies in languages you develop than a degree.

Degrees don't land you jobs, they're just a nice tick box to get you noticed - the rest will be from your actual skills (hard ones) and personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much, I wasn't aware of this as my teachers gave me the impression that you had to have a masters in computer science.
Reply 8
I haven't been looking at jobs yet but I have been looking at courses at universities and am aware that maths is very important. Luckily, it is one of my passions. I have done a bit of coding (HTML and Python) as well.
Reply 9
I think I need to research more about jobs as I have only been looking at university courses. Thank you very much for taking the time to help and setting me on the right course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending