The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

To condense and simplify this, can we confirm: 1) whether some have received replies from Legis Chambers and 2) if so, have first round interviews taken place?
Original post by shestheone
Was this by any chance in a phone call from a withheld number on 4th Jan?

Sorry to be specific but I had a voicemail from a female that cut out before the necessary information was left. I never bothered looking into it at the time as I thought if it was important they'd call back or email.

Thanks!

No, that was quite recently, I think, over the weekend before the interview week and from a London landline number.
Reply 462
Original post by LadyLaw23
I hope your interview went well today. Out of interest, how did you find it in terms of the length of the problem and the interviewers' attitudes/types of questions?

I really enjoyed it, one of my favourites so far! The interviewers seemed lovely and relaxed, and as if they really wanted to see the best of you. In terms of preparation the problem was fine and I think I saw most/all points raised, but I didn't get a chance to say it all, so I reckon it would have been better were the interview half an hour. But the questions that they posed were gentle hypotheticals, not intimidating attacks; for such an esteemed set, I thought it felt quite forgiving. That said, I may not say the same thing when I hear back - best of luck for tomorrow!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tomfish
I really enjoyed it, one of my favourites so far! The interviewers seemed lovely and relaxed, and as if they really wanted to see the best of you. In terms of preparation the problem was fine and I think I saw most/all points raised, but I didn't get a chance to say it all, so I reckon it would have been better were the interview half an hour. But the questions that they posed were gentle hypotheticals, not intimidating attacks; for such an esteemed set, I thought it felt quite forgiving. That said, I may not say the same thing when I hear back - best of luck for tomorrow!

Great to hear and I'm glad that it wasn't just me then. I also didn't get to finish a lot of what I wanted to say, so I agree that if they'd made the interview a bit longer that might have been good, but now I'm just nit-picking :smile:

On another note, Gray's Inn Tax rejections in the post (dated 8th Feb, postmarked yesterday).

On another note, Gray's Inn Tax rejections in the post (dated 8th Feb, postmarked yesterday).

Got one too - despite withdrawing my application. I suppose they didn't want me to get off so lightly :smile:
Original post by Forum User
Got one too - despite withdrawing my application. I suppose they didn't want me to get off so lightly :smile:

Ha, I bet they didn't even bother properly noting you withdrew, probably just moved you into the rejection pile. :biggrin:

Did anyone get an interview off them?
Reply 466
Original post by bookladder
To condense and simplify this, can we confirm: 1) whether some have received replies from Legis Chambers and 2) if so, have first round interviews taken place?

I received nothing from them other than a confirmation to say they had received my application and would be in touch. Had no idea they'd conducted interviews at all.
Wilberforce 2nd round invites coming out by phone :biggrin:

Congrats!
Original post by Forum User
Congrats!

Thank you! Really happy about this one, now here's hoping I don't mess it up :s-smilie:

Anyone heard from Pump Court Tax yet post-1st round?
Reply 470
Thank you! Really happy about this one, now here's hoping I don't mess it up :s-smilie:

Anyone heard from Pump Court Tax yet post-1st round?

Yeah there are 2nd round invitations out there - 8 hr written exercise!!

Congrats!
Original post by dmw1989

And the prize for the longest break between posts goes to... :smile:
Original post by dmw1989

Fairly glad I won't be doing that to be honest!
Original post by Radebe91
Fairly glad I won't be doing that to be honest!

You got a response
Original post by Law_student77
You got a response

No, but I knew I wasn't going through about 2 minutes into the interview.
On another note, New Square second rounds are out.
Hi All,

I wondered if I could have your opinion on something? It seems that I will be out of the country undertaking an internship this year when the Gateway season is in full-flow (May - August). It would be very unlikely that I would have the means or opportunity to fly back for any interviews (if I were to get any!), however I feel like completely ignoring an entire Gateway season could be potentially foolish. I wondered if people had an opinion on potential options: a) I apply to a limited, but targeted, number of sets - so if I do get any interviews I should seriously consider the travel; b) I apply to 12 as I would normally, knowing full-well that I may have to decline an interview if I receive one; or c) do not apply at all. I think it would be good practice re written applications, but don't want to inadvertently harm my chances with a set if I have to decline (or bankrupt myself by flying back!).

In relation to option b) do you think a Chambers would know/remember if I declined an interview one year, only to re-apply the next?

Any input would be welcome.
Original post by Radebe91
On another note, New Square second rounds are out.

Great!
Original post by Aspiring Barista
Hi All,

I wondered if I could have your opinion on something? It seems that I will be out of the country undertaking an internship this year when the Gateway season is in full-flow (May - August). It would be very unlikely that I would have the means or opportunity to fly back for any interviews (if I were to get any!), however I feel like completely ignoring an entire Gateway season could be potentially foolish. I wondered if people had an opinion on potential options: a) I apply to a limited, but targeted, number of sets - so if I do get any interviews I should seriously consider the travel; b) I apply to 12 as I would normally, knowing full-well that I may have to decline an interview if I receive one; or c) do not apply at all. I think it would be good practice re written applications, but don't want to inadvertently harm my chances with a set if I have to decline (or bankrupt myself by flying back!).

In relation to option b) do you think a Chambers would know/remember if I declined an interview one year, only to re-apply the next?

Any input would be welcome.

If you've been taking advantage of the increasing number of sets advertising out of the gateway then you should have an Inclination as to how successful you'll be this season. I.e. If you're already getting interviews then of course you should have your finger in as many pies as possible and not overlook the gateway. If you are yet to be successful In gaining any interviews (and I'm assuming it's your first year) then firstly, don't panic, you've got lots more opportunities and secondly chances are you'll have better luck next year anyway when you'll have more to put on your cv etc (such as the internship)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending