The Student Room Group

Experience or money??

I am in 4th year uni with a strong aspiration to go to graduate school (applying next year). I am in the health field and am trying to get as much experience for my grad school application as possible. However, these paid research jobs are EXTREMELY competitive as every undergrad in a health/medicine/bio related program wants them. I just had an interview for a job yesterday that had 200 applicants! I do have some research volunteering under me.. but the more the better! This summer I may have the opportunity to continue helping with research at the same hospital I have been volunteering at for 2 years (1 year helping with research), however, this research volunteering is much more in depth than the research I am currently working on and in a completely different department. I will also have more opportunities with this research. However, it requires that I work at the hospital 5 days a week. Since the hospital is pretty far from where I live, I will be unable to work at a paid part-time job in the evenings. So basically I have to choose experience over money. Fortunately, I do not need to pay for uni. But I am wondering, what would you choose to do?? I hate making decisions and this is a huge one!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pianoplaya94

I will also have more opportunities with this research.

However, it requires that I work at the hospital 5 days a week.

Since the hospital is pretty far from where I live, I will be unable to work at a paid part-time job in the evenings.

Fortunately, I do not need to pay for uni.

In this case - experience. In the medium to long run you don't need the money, you do need the experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending