The Student Room Group

Investment banking with computer science degree?

Hi, I'm planning on doing a Btec level 3 extended diploma in computing and A level in maths as this is he requirement for Russel Group unis for computer science. I just wanted to know would it possible to get into investment banking with these qualifications and a degree from a university such as Kings College London/Bristol/Bath etc. And which would the best uni for me to get into investment banking that will allow my qualifications? Please help, thanks.
Original post by Axlerod
Hi, I'm planning on doing a Btec level 3 extended diploma in computing and A level in maths as this is he requirement for Russel Group unis for computer science. I just wanted to know would it possible to get into investment banking with these qualifications and a degree from a university such as Kings College London/Bristol/Bath etc. And which would the best uni for me to get into investment banking that will allow my qualifications? Please help, thanks.

- Get yourself to a target/semi-target uni. Strong semi-targets are Bristol/Bath/Notts/Durham as they send in a few more bodies into the industry, but KCL/Edinburgh/St Andrews/Manchester show up too. I assume targets are a no go with your BTEC - however, I believe Oxford (maybe a few more places too) do consider applications from people with top marks in a BTEC and a Maths A-level for CS

- Try to get the best grades possible in both your BTEC and Maths A-level (mostly D*s and A/A* in your A-level)

- Get a CV sorted. Build upon it as much as possible. That means get involved: do extracurriculars, volunteer, lead teams/initiatives etc. Your academics are just used as a tool to put you into contention, whether you're shortlisted for Spring Week/Summer Internship/Grad Scheme interviews is entirely down to your CV.

- Apply to work experience and insight programmes. Some insight days are available to apply to as of now: Morgan Stanley (Open Day), JPMorgan (Schools Insight Day), HSBC (Inspiring Potential), BAML (Banking Uncovered). Others that open later are: RBS (Career Insight Programme), Credit Suisse (A-level Insight Day)

- Banks look for talent from all degree disciplines. Anything you get taught in any degree (including the perceived 'relevant' Finance/Economics courses) will be useless in terms of real world finance. All banks have a training scheme that runs for 6-8 weeks for their new graduate joiners, there is a condensed version for interns which runs for 1-2 weeks. Everything else will be learnt on the job

- Read more about the industry and keep up with business/financial news: Mergers and Inquisitions, the Unofficial Guide to Banking, TargetCareers - Banking, AllAboutFinanceCareers and the Investment Banking Guide by Vault, Wall Street Oasis - FAQ, Wall Street Prep, Investopedia, Canary Wharfian (How to get a Spring Week Guide)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
- Get yourself to a target/semi-target uni. Strong semi-targets are Bristol/Bath/Notts/Durham as they send in a few more bodies into the industry, but KCL/Edinburgh/St Andrews/Manchester show up too. I assume targets are a no go with your BTEC - however, I believe Oxford (maybe a few more places too) do consider applications from people with top marks in a BTEC and a Maths A-level for CS

- Try to get the best grades possible in both your BTEC and Maths A-level (mostly D*s and A/A* in your A-level)

- Get a CV sorted. Build upon it as much as possible. That means get involved: do extracurriculars, volunteer, lead teams/initiatives etc. Your academics are just used as a tool to put you into contention, whether you're shortlisted for Spring Week/Summer Internship/Grad Scheme interviews is entirely down to your CV.

- Apply to work experience and insight programmes. Some insight days are available to apply to as of now: Morgan Stanley (Open Day), JPMorgan (Schools Insight Day), HSBC (Inspiring Potential), BAML (Banking Uncovered). Others that open later are: RBS (Career Insight Programme), Credit Suisse (A-level Insight Day)

- Banks look for talent from all degree disciplines. Anything you get taught in any degree (including the perceived 'relevant' Finance/Economics courses) will be useless in terms of real world finance. All banks have a training scheme that runs for 6-8 weeks for their new graduate joiners, there is a condensed version for interns which runs for 1-2 weeks. Everything else will be learnt on the job

- Read more about the industry and keep up with business/financial news: Mergers and Inquisitions, the Unofficial Guide to Banking, TargetCareers - Banking, AllAboutFinanceCareers and the Investment Banking Guide by Vault, Wall Street Oasis - FAQ, Wall Street Prep, Investopedia, Canary Wharfian (How to get a Spring Week Guide)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! As for BTEC, nearly all the uni bar Oxbridge/UCL accept BTEC along as I do maths A level alongside and Unis such as KCL accept just BTEC so I think I should be fine on that front.
Original post by Axlerod
Thanks! As for BTEC, nearly all the uni bar Oxbridge/UCL accept BTEC along as I do maths A level alongside and Unis such as KCL accept just BTEC so I think I should be fine on that front.

Oxford does consider them!

Source: https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html

If that's the case aim for one of the targets in your mix of UCAS options: Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
short answer, yes
Reply 5
Oxford does consider them!

Source: https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html

If that's the case aim for one of the targets in your mix of UCAS options: Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Better get that A* in maths then 😁 However I heard the Oxford maths entry exam is a nightmare 😂
Original post by Axlerod
Better get that A* in maths then 😁 However I heard the Oxford maths entry exam is a nightmare 😂

Yeah, I did it for 2016 entry and bombed so badly hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah, I did it for 2016 entry and bombed so badly hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh unlucky :frown:, which uni do you go then and what are you studying?
Original post by Axlerod
Ahh unlucky :frown:, which uni do you go then and what are you studying?

Going this October to study Data Science (Maths, Statistics and Computer Science) at Warwick hopefully.

I have offers from UCL, Warwick and Nottingham; still waiting on Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Going this October to study Data Science (Maths, Statistics and Computer Science) at Warwick hopefully.

I have offers from UCL, Warwick and Nottingham; still waiting on Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice, I hope you do well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending