The Student Room Group

The job seeking process is more drawn out tedious than it should be.

The job seeking process is too drawn out and tedious these days.You apply for a job then you wait what 5 days for the recruiter to contact you, they then want to schedule a phone interview in advance which means having to wait several days to do it.
When thats done its another wait to hear feedback and if they want to meet you face to face if they do the interview is booked for right at the end of the month! Then of course its another wait to hear if you got the job or not and they wonder why there is such long gaps on peoples cv (specifically graduates). Rant over anyone else sick of the waiting they are made to do?!
I normally wait within a week
Original post by Indieboohoo1
I normally wait within a week

For which part of the many stages of job seeking do you wait a week?
Original post by chosenone93
For which part of the many stages of job seeking do you wait a week?

Depends how urgently they need someone but a week or two the whole process are you from London.
Original post by Indieboohoo1
Depends how urgently they need someone but a week or two the whole process are you from London.

Yep a graduate living in london where competition is fierce so im of course constantly being turned down because theres always someone better for the role.
The job seeking process is too drawn out and tedious these days.You apply for a job then you wait what 5 days for the recruiter to contact you, they then want to schedule a phone interview in advance which means having to wait several days to do it.
When thats done its another wait to hear feedback and if they want to meet you face to face if they do the interview is booked for right at the end of the month! Then of course its another wait to hear if you got the job or not and they wonder why there is such long gaps on peoples cv (specifically graduates). Rant over anyone else sick of the waiting they are made to do?!

I'm a graduate still trying to get my first graduate role so I can feel your frustrations. However not all employers use such a long drawn out process- the places I've been applying to only do one face to face interview and that is usually around 2 weeks after the closing date, with the invite to interview coming the week before. I've also found that it is too easy to say 'I don't stand a chance because of the intense competition' when there are always improvements you can make. Always get feedback after a post interview rejection- if they don't offer to provide, chase them up for it. This, together with attending an interview workshop, has helped me immensely to the point where I now know exactly what I need to do next interview. I now understand how to answer the questions frequently asked at interview and that I need to sound really keen about whatever the organisation is doing.
I also volunteer at the moment which helps avoid any gap on my CV and I do have the benefit of some work experience obtained during my studies.

Some hiring processes do seem to have lots of unnecessary stages. For a lot of jobs, I don't think the phone screen is needed, and they could just move straight to interview. Interviews can be hard to schedule though, especially if they want to make sure, say two managers + a HR person are available (and they have to give candidates enough notice to make sure they can attend).

However, I think hearing back within 5 days is pretty quick! A lot of jobs I applied to left the advert up for at least two weeks, and didn't respond until after the closing date.

For a lot of jobs, the hiring process is pretty expensive, then you have the time and expense of training a new person to consider. This means that employers want to get the right fit, and they don't mind taking a bit of time to do this. I'd be more wary of companies trying to rush you in the door because they're suddenly very short staffed- this suggests there's something wrong with the company to me.

Long hiring processes don't have to lead to long gaps on your CV though. Even if someone's expressed an interest, you should still be sending out CVs constantly- ideally you'd have more than one company taking an interest at a time. Even after I interviewed for my current job, I was still sending out CVs.

Ikr, and you'll find stupid expectations for crappy minimum wage jobs.

This is the way of the world today. If you want to get a job, you have to have a qualification in the desired professions - not some random degree - that you were told would guarantee you a job. Welcome to the real world
Thanks guys but its true for most grad level jobs its a long waiting process i can only recall one standard interview I've had and that was for an internship the rest went in stages or were long tedious whole day assessment centers were i was competing with a handful of other candidates all desperate for the job which only one of us will ultimately get.

Original post by squeakysquirrel
This is the way of the world today. If you want to get a job, you have to have a qualification in the desired professions - not some random degree - that you were told would guarantee you a job. Welcome to the real world

Thats a mighty assumption considering i didn't mention what my degree was in
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks guys but its true for most grad level jobs its a long waiting process i can only recall one standard interview I've had and that was for an internship the rest went in stages or were long tedious whole day assessment centers were i was competing with a handful of other candidates all desperate for the job which only one of us will ultimately get.

Thats a mighty assumption considering i didn't mention what my degree was in

So the question begs - what is your degree in
Nevermind, quite clear your curiosity is not in good taste.
The job seeking process is SO TEDIOUS! AND I'm sick and tired of it. I can't help but think it's only here in the England because in other countries in Europe it's not a long tedious process. So tedious and stupid for a job that doesn't require half the things they ask for.
And the length of time taken to get replies and answers; don't get me started. !!!!

Better to always have a job and never leave till you already have another one minimising the gaps between jobs/ unemployment....
Original post by RomanKing
Better to always have a job and never leave till you already have another one minimising the gaps between jobs/ unemployment....

Easier said than done.
Original post by RomanKing
The job seeking process is SO TEDIOUS! AND I'm sick and tired of it. I can't help but think it's only here in the England because in other countries in Europe it's not a long tedious process. So tedious and stupid for a job that doesn't require half the things they ask for.
And the length of time taken to get replies and answers; don't get me started. !!!!

Then apply to jobs in other countries in EU. Freedom of movement and all...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending