The Student Room Group

Further mathematics

Hi guys,

My school does not offer further mathematics because there are only a few students who want to do it. For me it is essential to take further mathematics as I want to study mathematics at Cambridge. Is self studying A level further mathematics doable? And what books do you guys recommend?

I live in Holland by the way, so I have to take the CIE A level exam.

Thank you!
Reply 1
It is definitely possible and you should do it.
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
It is definitely possible and you should do it.

Yeah ok. What do you think is the best way to learn further maths so that I can ace the CIE A level exam?
Reply 3
Original post by Jeffrey98
Yeah ok. What do you think is the best way to learn further maths so that I can ace the CIE A level exam?

Learn the content (from books or videos or whatever works for you)
Then practice exam questions from past papers from your exam board.
For additional practice you may wish to have a look at the resources on www.madasmaths.co.uk
Very good website - excellent resources very good for practicing loads of questions.
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
Learn the content (from books or videos or whatever works for you)
Then practice exam questions from past papers from your exam board.
For additional practice you may wish to have a look at the resources on www.madasmaths.co.uk
Very good website - excellent resources very good for practicing loads of questions.

sorry I am teaching
Reply 5

If you're the kind of person who will study mathematics at Cambridge, then you should find self-teaching FM a breeze. Just pick up the textbooks, watch examsolutions, etc...
Hi guys,

My school does not offer further mathematics because there are only a few students who want to do it. For me it is essential to take further mathematics as I want to study mathematics at Cambridge. Is self studying A level further mathematics doable? And what books do you guys recommend?

I live in Holland by the way, so I have to take the CIE A level exam.

Thank you!

It's definitely possible - I'm doing it right now! The textbooks are good but I prefer to use them for practice, and have been using this website called integral maths to learn the topics right now - not sure if that'd be available to you though as I think your school has to be subscribed - anyway there are many other websites available online - it's really not too hard you can definitely do it!
Reply 7
Original post by #sarahsmith2
It's definitely possible - I'm doing it right now! The textbooks are good but I prefer to use them for practice, and have been using this website called integral maths to learn the topics right now - not sure if that'd be available to you though as I think your school has to be subscribed - anyway there are many other websites available online - it's really not too hard you can definitely do it!

Thanks for your answer :smile: ,

Which exam will you be taking ? The CIE exam? If I have some more questions about self-learning fm, would you be willing to answer them? Thanks a lot
Thanks for your answer :smile: ,

Which exam will you be taking ? The CIE exam? If I have some more questions about self-learning fm, would you be willing to answer them? Thanks a lot

You're welcome :smile:. No I'll be taking the Edexcel AS Level this year and the A level next year - I've looked at a few past papers - there seems be quite a bit of statistics and mechanics on the CIE papers, as well as further pure maths - and there're a mix between quite hard looking questions, and questions that I could definitely answer now. But yeah you can definitely ask me any questions - you can DM me at any time if you like :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply