The Student Room Group

3 GCSE's....

Due to many reasons, I've only been able to study 3 GCSE's (Maths, Science, English) which I've been predicted to get B's and A's, I'd like to do A levels (preferably Maths). Should I redo my GCSE's and waste a year or try and apply for A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Try and Apply! :smile:
It depends on what you want to do after Alevels , university courses may not accept it although it seems you are doing the crucial ones needed.
If they do, then apply to Colleges or sixth forms and take on Alevels I doubt they would stop you unless they have entry requirements and reject your circumstances.
Original post by epoddoulc
Due to many reasons, I've only been able to study 3 GCSE's (Maths, Science, English) which I've been predicted to get B's and A's, I'd like to do A levels (preferably Maths). Should I redo my GCSE's and waste a year or try and apply for A levels?

You are not wasting a year whatever you do next year.
Contact the schools and colleges where you'd like to study and meet with them.
Explain your situation and why you are limited to only 3 GCSE and ask what they would offer.
They may require you to do another year of level 2 study so that you are at the required level to start other A level subjects alongside maths. They may let you do BTEC with A level maths but are not very likely to accept you for 3 full A levels if you don't have evidence that you could succeed with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply, the circumstances are that I was put in a PRU by my school years ago and was then neglected by them (they ignored my GCSE's) meaning I had to do everything on my own, what would be your advice for this?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Pls Mods Im Nice
It depends on what you want to do after Alevels , university courses may not accept it although it seems you are doing the crucial ones needed.
If they do, then apply to Colleges or sixth forms and take on Alevels I doubt they would stop you unless they have entry requirements and reject your circumstances.

I'd want to be able to go to university. What do you think I should do? Redo my GCSE's?
Reply 6
If I did choose to redo my GCSE's would I have to pay for my second year of A levels as I'd turn the age of 19? If I did have to pay for the course would I be able to get support from the government? :frown:
I think redo your GCSE's. You'll have a better chance at doing decent a-levels and that's better than just doing BTEC's
Reply 8

You could ask around colleges and sixth forms and explain the circumstances of your GCSEs e.c.t. They may let you do a mixture spread over 3 years? E.g. 1st year 2 AS and some GCSEs, 2nd year- 1 AS 1 A2, some GCSEs, 3rd year A2?? Or something similar? I know someone who did something like this and you may find it better than being left behind doing GCSEs for another year?
Reply 9
Original post by ygy
You could ask around colleges and sixth forms and explain the circumstances of your GCSEs e.c.t. They may let you do a mixture spread over 3 years? E.g. 1st year 2 AS and some GCSEs, 2nd year- 1 AS 1 A2, some GCSEs, 3rd year A2?? Or something similar? I know someone who did something like this and you may find it better than being left behind doing GCSEs for another year?

Thanks for the advice, are you sure it'd be possible to do this. How would one go about this? Phone and ask or book an appointment??
Reply 10
Original post by caitlinford3
I think redo your GCSE's. You'll have a better chance at doing decent a-levels and that's better than just doing BTEC's

I'd have to do BTEC? If I wanted to redo my GCSE, would I be doing it in college? How many GCSE's would I be able to study?

Apply for A levels. Get in touch with colleges personally and explain your situation and tell them how motivated you are to do well in your A levels. I studied 3 GCSEs, got my A levels, and then ended up with offers from Cambridge and Durham plus my other three choices.
Reply 12
Thanks for the advice, are you sure it'd be possible to do this. How would one go about this? Phone and ask or book an appointment??

Most colleges/sixth forms will have administration numbers you can ring on their websites? Best bet is probably a sixthform or college that is attached to a school that does GCSEs, that way might be able to teach you both? Good Luck! Plus remember, there's always a way! Everyone's dissing BTEC but my friend got into Bristol to do Engineering with an Engineering BTEC!
Definitely apply first to see if you can! But other than that I would strongly recommend resitting your GCSEs.
I'd want to be able to go to university. What do you think I should do? Redo my GCSE's?

What university course do you want to do?
It may only require English and maths so you might be fine. Check the requirements.
Reply 15
Original post by Pls Mods Im Nice
What university course do you want to do?
It may only require English and maths so you might be fine. Check the requirements.

I'm not really fussed about which university I go to, I just want a degree.
Reply 16
Original post by SubZero~
Definitely apply first to see if you can! But other than that I would strongly recommend resitting your GCSEs.

If I did choose to do the GCSE's, how long would it take and how many GCSE's would I be able to come out with?
If I did choose to do the GCSE's, how long would it take and how many GCSE's would I be able to come out with?

That's what I'm not sure about to be honest. Depends how many you did originally I suppose.
Reply 18
Original post by ygy
Most colleges/sixth forms will have administration numbers you can ring on their websites? Best bet is probably a sixthform or college that is attached to a school that does GCSEs, that way might be able to teach you both? Good Luck! Plus remember, there's always a way! Everyone's dissing BTEC but my friend got into Bristol to do Engineering with an Engineering BTEC!

Do you think I should apply for the sixth form at my current school? Do you think they'd understand and try to make an exception as it is their fault?
Reply 19
Original post by mscaffrey
Apply for A levels. Get in touch with colleges personally and explain your situation and tell them how motivated you are to do well in your A levels. I studied 3 GCSEs, got my A levels, and then ended up with offers from Cambridge and Durham plus my other three choices.

Thanks, I'll try and explain my situation:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest