The Student Room Group

Dame Alice Owen's 6th form

Can anyone tell me what the Dame Alice Owens 6th form interview will be like? I've just got an email saying that mine is on 22 February and I'm super nervous because I've never done an interview before...
Original post by _HS
Can anyone tell me what the Dame Alice Owens 6th form interview will be like? I've just got an email saying that mine is on 22 February and I'm super nervous because I've never done an interview before...
Hi, I got one too :smile:

I had an interview for Woodhouse and they asked me what I like about my school, why I've picked these specific A-levels, why I want to study there and I was surprised as my interview was very subject based- especially on English Lit but that's probably because my interviewer is Head of English. Maybe that helps in preparation for the Dame Alice interview? I think for the Dame Alice interview they're also interested in extra-curricular and to discuss future ambitions.
Reply 2
Thanks for your help! A lot of my friends and people in my school had a Woodhouse interview as well and they said all the teachers were nice. I think Dame Alice's interview might be more of a conversation rather than testing your knowledge of your subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _HS
Thanks for your help! A lot of my friends and people in my school had a Woodhouse interview as well and they said all the teachers were nice. I think Dame Alice's interview might be more of a conversation rather than testing your knowledge of your subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think the interview for Woodhouse really contributes towards your conditional offer whereas, Dame Alice want to just see whether the courses you've picked are right for you, I'm guessing it will be a bit more laid back. I really like Dame Alice but it's a rather long journey from where I am in all honesty but I'm prepared to make the journey.
Original post by Thedaniellamary
Yeah, I think the interview for Woodhouse really contributes towards your conditional offer whereas, Dame Alice want to just see whether the courses you've picked are right for you, I'm guessing it will be a bit more laid back. I really like Dame Alice but it's a rather long journey from where I am in all honesty but I'm prepared to make the journey.

I disagree. There are VERY few places available in Owens sixth form (usually only about 30) compared to Woodhouse which takes hundreds, so they have to be very selective.

Its a vg, not great school, but if you are Oxbridge/medicine track, theyll work on you a lot. Otherwise they are like a lot of other good state sixth forms. If the travel eats into your day a lot, it'll impact on your studies as its plain exhausting if you are on one of the school buses- the lower years literally sing and scream sometimes. So think carefully.
Original post by Herbiechester
I disagree. There are VERY few places available in Owens sixth form (usually only about 30) compared to Woodhouse which takes hundreds, so they have to be very selective.

Its a vg, not great school, but if you are Oxbridge/medicine track, theyll work on you a lot. Otherwise they are like a lot of other good state sixth forms. If the travel eats into your day a lot, it'll impact on your studies as its plain exhausting if you are on one of the school buses- the lower years literally sing and scream sometimes. So think carefully.

Of course, it's very competitive as they have a 10 applications to space ratio but I would have assumed that the interview as it is only 10 minutes and is a "discussion" isn't as intense as per say Woodhouse. Dame Alice's requirements already are extremely selective and I presume they narrow down candidates like that. If I do decide to attend, I will go by train, may I ask do you go there and why do you consider it very good instead of great?
do you know your predicted grades, I was predicted 4 A*'s and 7 A's, but I haven't received any information about an interview though :frown:
Original post by Fatcat302
do you know your predicted grades, I was predicted 4 A*'s and 7 A's, but I haven't received any information about an interview though :frown:
well you haven't been rejected so I wouldn't worry :smile: I'm currently predicted 7a* and 4as and I think my friend has the same predictions as you and she got an interview, applying for the sciences. Hope that helps :smile:
Can I ask what the interview was like? I'm looking to apply in the following year, anything you could tell me I'd really appreciate. For instance, what do they ask in the personal statement/what GCSE predictions would you say had the average applicant? I'd really love to go :smile:
Reply 9
I did the interview and it's honestly nothing to worry about, :smile: it's like talking to a relative about what subjects you're taking and why. As someone said above I think that the interview is mostly to check that you really want to go to the sixth form and that you picked the right subjects.
For Owens you don't need to submit a personal statement so they won't ask you anything about that. As for the GCSE predicted grade average I'm not sure but mostly a's and a*'s.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LR007
I did the interview and it's honestly nothing to worry about, :smile: it's like talking to a relative about what subjects you're taking and why. As someone said above I think that the interview is mostly to check that you really want to go to the sixth form and that you picked the right subjects.
For Owens you don't need to submit a personal statement so they won't ask you anything about that. As for the GCSE predicted grade average I'm not sure but mostly a's and a*'s.

Hi sorry I thought I sent a reply but it didn't seem to work ://. Anyway thank you so much for this! If Owens don't ask for a personal statement what do they ask for? A teacher statement? I really like the look of the school and I want to move for sixth form so anything you could tell me I'd be really grateful! Thanks :smile:
Reply 11
No problem:smile: Owens only ask for your predicted grades and a statement from your teachers.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest