The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jd_uk
Why? Because of reactions/change in attention from girls?

Basically I'm half indian, people are usually confused on my ethnic appearance but when I was shaved, I looked like a straight up middle easterner.

I'm not saying there's anything bad with middle easterners, just that my local cafe started asking if I wanted halal bacon and all that but I'm christian and it's quote annoying.

Plus I thought I looked horrid.
Reply 42
Original post by Longshot700
Basically I'm half indian, people are usually confused on my ethnic appearance but when I was shaved, I looked like a straight up middle easterner.

I'm not saying there's anything bad with middle easterners, just that my local cafe started asking if I wanted halal bacon and all that but I'm christian and it's quote annoying.

Plus I thought I looked horrid.

Haha...fair enough. That's quite a specific reason.
Original post by Jd_uk
Haha...fair enough. That's quite a specific reason.

Just gotta add, the cafe owner wasn't taking the mick, he/ she was genuinely asking if I wanted halal.
Why don't you just get hair transplant
I wouldn't go near a bald guy. I'm not even keen on the lazy bastards who get their hair cut really short at a barbers. A stylish man is attractive and I appreciate a good hair style. While going bald may not be a choice for some people there's a reason wigs were invented. If you start losing your eyesight you get glasses. If you start losing your hearing you get a hearing aid. There's no shame in a man losing their hair getting a nice wig.
I like volumous head hair on a guy personally, I don't even like really short short hair on a guy let alone bald...
to me balding kind of appears like fast-aging genes?
It also makes men look way older, girls generally like hair to "hold on to" and attracted to guys that look virile

idk if there's any studies that actually show whether there is any correlation between baldness and virility - who knows tbh?
I thought baldness was hair loss caused by DHT testosterone - the way its displaced in the body is due to genetics
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Sephiroth
I wouldn't go near a bald guy. I'm not even keen on the lazy bastards who get their hair cut really short at a barbers. A stylish man is attractive and I appreciate a good hair style. While going bald may not be a choice for some people there's a reason wigs were invented. If you start losing your eyesight you get glasses. If you start losing your hearing you get a hearing aid. There's no shame in a man losing their hair getting a nice wig.

Are you a guy? And is that a joke post? I actually can't tell. I've never heard any woman say a wig is a good idea.
Reply 48
Original post by xobeauty
Why don't you just get hair transplant

I'm not bald.

But hair transplants don't really work that well for most people.. there is no real way to prevent baldness. It's caused by high testosterone/DHT and genetics.

What are your thoughts on bald guys?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by alkaline.
I like volumous head hair on a guy personally, I don't even like really short short hair on a guy let alone bald...
to me balding kind of appears like fast-aging genes?
It also makes men look way older, girls generally like hair to "hold on to" and attracted to guys that look virile

idk if there's any studies that actually show whether there is any correlation between baldness and virility - who knows tbh?
I thought baldness was hair loss caused by DHT testosterone - the way its displaced in the body is due to genetics

There's argument for balding guys actually being more virile. It's caused by the most powerful male sex hormone there is. That's why the drug which prevents baldness can cause impotence and why a lot of very strong, muscular guys go bald (if its in their genes to)
Original post by Jd_uk
There's argument for balding guys actually being more virile. It's caused by the most powerful male sex hormone there is. That's why the drug which prevents baldness can cause impotence and why a lot of very strong, muscular guys go bald (if its in their genes to)

there's an argument yeah I've read that as well, scientists say "its not confirmed" though and there is also scientists saying the reverse of this so noone really knows....

oh right yh steroids can cause hairloss

ah so odd how everything in life comes down to genes

it can cause impotence because it must just decrease overall testosterone in a males bodies instead of tweaking the gene that caused a male's testosterone to be expressed in that way they just prevent testosterone being produced altogether or lessen it (since tweaking isn't a gene obviously isn't a viable option)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
there's an argument yeah I've read that as well, scientists say "its not confirmed" though and there is also scientists saying the reverse of this so noone really knows....

it can cause impotence because it must just decrease overall testosterone in a males bodies instead of tweaking the gene that caused a male's testosterone to be expressed in that way they just prevent testosterone being produced altogether or lessen it (since tweaking isn't a gene obviously isn't a viable option)

It's not confirmed because no studies have looked at how mens hair changes over a period of time together with their hormones. It would be a pretty expensive study. But having higher levels of testosterone and DHt will cause more baldness..and most guys have the balding genes to some extent. It's common sense that more 'virile' guys are likely to go bald earlier on the whole.
Original post by Jd_uk
It's not confirmed because no studies have looked at how mens hair changes over a period of time together with their hormones. It would be a pretty expensive study. But having higher levels of testosterone and DHt will cause more baldness..and most guys have the balding genes to some extent. It's common sense that more 'virile' guys are likely to go bald earlier on the whole.

yeah igy
maybe if you get "i'm virile" tatted onto your head it will attract more girls?
Original post by Jd_uk
I'm not bald.

But hair transplants don't really work that well for most people.. there is no real way to prevent baldness. It's caused by high testosterone/DHT and genetics.

What are your thoughts on bald guys?

I think bald guys are fine I didn't realize younger guys shave their head because they are balding I thought it was just a look they like
Reply 54
yeah igy
maybe if you get "i'm virile" tatted onto your head it will attract more girls?

Well if i go properly bald then i'd hope the women i were around would be brighter than to need a tattoo to see it :smile:

Seems some women dont care but tbh i'm actually amazed that so many do care about something so ridiculous really if you think about it.
Original post by Rakas21
As a guy who went significantly very early i can say that when i was skinny and bald women never cared and frankly i never had the confidence problems of the OP's quote.

So yeah, i'm going to say that actually confidence, being skinny/muscular, dressing well and moisturizing are all more important than losing your hair.

Totally agree.

My hair's thinning all over, but much like you it hasn't affected me. I just keep it at a 2 buzz and get on with life.

Some girls like it, some girls don't... I still get laid.

Actually, technically speaking, propecia, which is a common hair loss drug, inhibits your DHT. Men with high DHT levels are more prone to baldness. Some, like me, who have a very high level of DHT will have more aggressive hair loss.
Original post by Jd_uk
I was just scanning some old threads on TSR and came across one about what girls think of guys who are going bald. I found the following post (quoted below) and as a guy who's male family members don't have much hair found it pretty depressing.

Girls..should a guy do whatever it takes to keep their hair for you to fancy them? And although this is a non judgemental thread and people should be honest, does this mean that girls are in a way more shallow than guys?

"Girls do care about balding. I´m gonna summarize my experience:

Until I was 25 years old I could date pretty much any girl that I wanted. Getting dates was easy, and having attractive girlfriends was the normal thing.
- At 26, for some reason, I started balding really fast, but I didn´t care.
- At 27 I continued not caring, and thinking girls don't care either, so I just shaved it all and went on with my life. I even broke up with the girl I was dating, a few weeks after shaving it all.
- At 29 --now-- I realized that I only had 2-3 dates in the last 2 years, and a couple of night stands. Most girls don't want to date me. In these last 2 years, I never felt that a girl was physically attracted to me. I have to do an incredible effort to go out with a girl, and, as you see, the results are not very surprising, especially considering the amount of effort invested.

My message is: Bald makes you really unattractive and undesirable. A few people in this world can pull off a bald look (yeah beckham, bruce willis and a couple more), but for most people this means looking 10-15 years older. I learned this the hard way, because I believed all those lies about "girls don't care", "girls care about confidence and whatever"... yeah girls care about confidence, but after you have passed their 'appearance filter'. They will never get to know your confidence, wealth, or how funny you are if you don't go on a date with them, and you won't go on a date with them if they don't find you attractive. At least 99% of them.

Even when girls say "I don't mind dating a bald guy", that just means that hypothetically, in a certain future situation, they *might* consider a bald guy. But in practice that day will never come for most girls. Just go to the park one day, look for attractive girls, and count how many are with bald guys. I will give you $500 if in a time window of 2 hours you spot 2 decently attractive women kissing a bald guy.

Anyways, with that said, I'm gonna start treatment now, because at 29, not being part of the dating game, especially with a very good past, really hurts. So for those of you who are young and balding, please take my wise words, and learn from my experience. Do whatever you have to to keep your hair. Otherwise you will seriously regret that. Women care about it, much more than you think. Much, much more."

I had a friend who said the exact same thing.
He use to get girlfriends easily, now he needs to try very hard to get them.
He feels girls aren't attracted to him anymore.
Original post by Jd_uk
Well if i go properly bald then i'd hope the women i were around would be brighter than to need a tattoo to see it :smile:

Seems some women dont care but tbh i'm actually amazed that so many do care about something so ridiculous really if you think about it.

i was kidding ffs
you can't 'see' virility

it's not ridiculous lmaooo hair is important it changes a whole look, why don't you date a bald women huh? men are supposed to be hairy anyway (more than women) it's justifiable that a woman would like some head hair too

not every women cares, but alot like a good head of hair even if they won't admit it

and you wanted girls opinions so here is one of them
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Whos_Your_Buddha
Actually, technically speaking, propecia, which is a common hair loss drug, inhibits your DHT. Men with high DHT levels are more prone to baldness. Some, like me, who have a very high level of DHT will have more aggressive hair loss.

that's what we were saying .......................

Latest