The Student Room Group

Growing my grades - I can do it!

I'm feeling very unmotivated and stressed at the moment so i thought about starting a blog to track my revision, hopefully making me more focused and organised.

My grades may be very good to some and very rubbish to others however it's my personal goals (which have been inflated slightly since we should all push ourselves higher). The grades in brackets are my predicted and the ones outside are the ones I aspire to achieve.

English Language (B) A
English Literature (B) A
Maths (A) A*
Science core (A*) A*
Science additional (A*) A*
Social studies (B) A*
French (B) B
History (B) A*
Religious studies (A) A*

Any tips on how you revise each topic would be useful😊

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MsIndependant
I'm feeling very unmotivated and stressed at the moment so i thought about starting a blog to track my revision, hopefully making me more focused and organised.

My grades may be very good to some and very rubbish to others however it's my personal goals (which have been inflated slightly since we should all push ourselves higher). The grades in brackets are my predicted and the ones outside are the ones I aspire to achieve.

English Language (B) A
English Literature (B) A
Maths (A) A*
Science core (A*) A*
Science additional (A*) A*
Social studies (B) A*
French (B) B
History (B) A*
Religious studies (A) A*

Any tips on how you revise each topic would be useful😊

Good luck :h:

How do you revise atm? :smile:
Original post by Black Rose
Good luck :h:

How do you revise atm? :smile:

Thank you! My revision techniques aren't the best they help me with my short term memory but I do like trying different methods.

For maths I do worksheets, past exam papers and watch videos clips (mathswatch).
For history I read revision guides and make notes. I also made half a quiz on quiz up about Germany (which I need to finish and do the other topics).
For science I read the revision guide and YouTube videos.

I really need to revise other subjects especially since most of the others I struggle with:
English??
French?????
Yesterday (Friday) I was really lazy and didn't revise.

Saturday - I finished making notes on History key topic 1😄🎉 YAY!! 3 more to go...
Saturday - Briefly went over Science B1 and completed a French past paper.

How/Things to improve:
-Learn more about the eye and nervous impulses.
-Play French word quizzes and bbc bitesize games.
Hi I did french last year and managed to get an A and the best revision tools for me were:

- Duolingo which is an app you can download on your phone and it teaches you all of the topics in french. You basically set yourself a daily goal, such as completing two activities each day and you unlock more topics as you progress.

- Quizlet which is also an app, and you can make your own flashcards. I got a list of all of the vocabulary that we'd learnt since year 9 and make flashcards for them on this app.

- Listening to music by Stromae and Maitre Gims. This probably isn't a revision method as such, but it always got me in the 'french mood' and most of the songs are very uplifting (and in french). :tongue:. However, it could possibly help you with the listening exam!
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Hi I did french last year and managed to get an A and the best revision tools for me were:

- Duolingo which is an app you can download on your phone and it teaches you all of the topics in french. You basically set yourself a daily goal, such as completing two activities each day and you unlock more topics as you progress.

- Quizlet which is also an app, and you can make your own flashcards. I got a list of all of the vocabulary that we'd learnt since year 9 and make flashcards for them on this app.

- Listening to music by Stromae and Maitre Gims. This probably isn't a revision method as such, but it always got me in the 'french mood' and most of the songs are very uplifting (and in french). :tongue:. However, it could possibly help you with the listening exam!

Thank you, I'm in the process of downloading Duolingo and actually already have Quizlet. Did you make your flashcards public? If so, do you remember the title so I can save it in my folder ☺️

Also do you have any tips on getting a A/A* for writing/speaking CA (I have a writing one next)? Most of my CA's are grade C with the exception of 2 B's but I really want one A taking off slight pressure during the exams.
Original post by MsIndependant
Thank you, I'm in the process of downloading Duolingo and actually already have Quizlet. Did you make your flashcards public? If so, do you remember the title so I can save it in my folder ☺️

Also do you have any tips on getting a A/A* for writing/speaking CA (I have a writing one next)? Most of my CA's are grade C with the exception of 2 B's but I really want one A taking off slight pressure during the exams.

I don't think I did, but many others have made theirs public.

And yes- what I did for my speaking and writing CAs was write each paragraph onto a separate piece of coloured card and then learn each paragraph separately by reciting it to myself over and over until I knew it off by heart. This helped for the writing CA too, as knowing how to pronounce the words helped me to remember the spelling. It also helps to leave a gap between each sentence as then the whole thing is less clustered together. After having done that, I just practiced writing the whole thing out and then checking it and correcting mistakes. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Ekervul
For the sciences, use as many past papers as you can get your hand on, doing the most recent/relevant ones first and working back until they are from about 6-8 years ago. Learn the answers that keep cropping up, you'll spot them as you start doing them.
Make sure your algebra and understanding of equations is good, as this can score you a lot of marks in both maths and physics.
And use the CGP bibles, they are truly amazing (make sure it's for your exam board/specification though!), although I wouldn't recommend them alone for A Level.

For French, I'd recommend learning vocabulary lists, maybe 10-20 words a week, that are from your specification (eg; school items/house items/adjectives etc), as even if you don't get the tenses right, you can get a lot of marks just being able to translate vocabulary, and 9 times out of 10, you can guess the tense in the context of the question (Jaque is going to the shop, what is going to buy? Will be future tense).

And ultimately, try to enjoy the subjects you want to do well in :biggrin:

Thank you for the tips. Science I'm confident with, it's just my controlled assessment grade I need to know.

Definitely going to do frequent French vocab tests which are much needed.
Sunday - Answered questions on B1, read halfway through the R.E revision guide and after watched some YouTube videos on Christianity, lastly I played french quizzes + Duolingo! (I'm starting to enjoy French a little more)

Monday (15th Feb 2016) - Read up to Unit 1 chapter 3 in the citizenship revision guide, attempted some english homework😔😂 and did some more history Germany revision (note taking.)

How/Things to improve:
Make mind maps for History
Make flashcards for citizenship
BASICALLY BE MORE PRO-ACTIVE!

Side note || I haven't been doing as much revision as hoped since there have been so many parties I have to attend and I need a social life (but do I want one?)
Also I've been getting distracted a lot for e.g. I'd say I need to go on the internet for help but then see a snapchat notification and send 30+ minutes on snapchat <-- That needs to stop!!
Tuesday - Completed 1/4 of my english homework (this counts as revision)😂 and revised the whole of C1, answering questions to ensure I know the topic well.

My struggles:
When my timetable gets shifted e.g. I need to go out to the shops or someone calls me I lose the motivation to revise I automatically think time has been wasted and there's no point to start revising. This has resulted in me wasting 3 hours today (not including the time I spent doing duties) which could have been used wisely.
Original post by jessyjellytot14

Also Memrise and Mondly are good too
Original post by RickmanAlways
Also Memrise and Mondly are good too

I'll be sure to check them out soon/when needed, thank you.
Okay...I definitely have short term memory I literally forgot what I revised on Wednesday though I'm sure I did something. I can't even remember the subjects I revised let alone the content😂😂 (hopefully it's somewhere in there).

Thursday - Loads of maths 4 hours + and some English lit.
Friday - Finished revising RE but obviously need to go over it again briefly and make notes so when closer to the exam i'm comfortable. Also did a bit of History (Germany).

How I'm feeling?
Thankfully, I feel quite calm and relaxed but when someone mentions how many months/weeks left that stresses me out.

Random note: I hate typing on student room with portable devices because it's really slow and makes annoying autocorrects, is that just me?
(edited 8 years ago)
Haven't posted in ages because I was getting ready for school etc.

Somewhere between Friday - Sunday I did some RE past exam questions, finished English lit homework revision and revised up to history Germany key topic 3 whilst taking notes.

Monday - Very briefly revised all science topics up to unit 3 for a last minute test.

Tuesday - approx 4 hours revision for maths mock exam today (Wednesday) I answered a/a* topics and the topics I struggled with I watched the corresponding maths watch video.
I lost this thread :colondollar:

Anyways I know my weakness is revision which I need to do!! On school days I cannot revise since all I think about is SLEEP so I won't pressurise myself but try to do 2 hours on school days but 1 hour definitely.

Now Easter revision will commence YAY/NAY🎉🎉

Today's plan (Tuesday 29/3?? Without school I don't know the date😂)

-Intense B1 Revision by ensuring I know everything of the specification
I haven't revised anything really and I don't like the fact exams are less than a month away.
Citizenship unit 1 exam - My first exam, so far so good. Not what I expected or predicted and revision was pointless. One of my problems was timing which caused me to lose 3 marks (definitely but may be more due to incorrect answers). Hoping for an A* but realistically achieved an B or A *fingers crossed*
French exam today - First and foremost I'm so happy I don't ever need to think about french. The listening exam was harder than the reading so I guessed quite a few answers. Reading was fine apart from about 2 questions, obviously the last question which is in french worth 8 marks. Sadly, I wasn't feeling well but I hope this won't affect my grade too much.
Completed the citizenship unit 3a exam - Way better than unit 1, I had time to finish all questions. Although I did write some weaker responses for the 6 mark, 15 mark and I think a 3 mark. Hopefully this will reduce my mark by a few grades (5 ish). Overall I expect an A for Citizenship(':

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending