The Student Room Group

Networking post-uni

Hi

So I'm a final year uni student and networking has been so immensely helpful that it's led to the development of 2 start-ups I'm running/involved in.

Networking at university has been incredibly easy as most people are open to meeting and very forgiving given 'you're just a student'. Plus, it's helpful there are a barrage of events based in and around universities in which people of interest are situated.

Does this change post-graduation and how do you alter your approach?

Thanks
Original post by uxa595
Hi

So I'm a final year uni student and networking has been so immensely helpful that it's led to the development of 2 start-ups I'm running/involved in.

Networking at university has been incredibly easy as most people are open to meeting and very forgiving given 'you're just a student'. Plus, it's helpful there are a barrage of events based in and around universities in which people of interest are situated.

Does this change post-graduation and how do you alter your approach?

Thanks

You don't. The whole point is to network all the time (from using your lunch breaks to the gym). But the point is the understand that networking becomes more about a relationship when you are no longer a student. You need to understand how you can help someone achieve what they want and what you can get in return.

Therefore, hit your company gym a lot, ask colleagues for drinks, make sure you try and have lunch with colleagues or from people in your network who work close by, etc...
Reply 2
Original post by Aceadria
You don't. The whole point is to network all the time (from using your lunch breaks to the gym). But the point is the understand that networking becomes more about a relationship when you are no longer a student. You need to understand how you can help someone achieve what they want and what you can get in return.

Therefore, hit your company gym a lot, ask colleagues for drinks, make sure you try and have lunch with colleagues or from people in your network who work close by, etc...

Thanks - my thinking too was the older you get the more people expect something in return for them helping you. I've cultivated quite a few mentor type relationships which have by far been the most significant (and they expect the least in return).

Sadly, I'll be working for a start-up and myself. It's far more difficult to come across people who are of use from a careers point of view in this environment. Outside of industry events and cold-emailing people who has some sort of tie to me (alumni etc.), I'm not sure where to look.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by uxa595
Thanks - my thinking too was the older you get the more people expect something in return for them helping you. I've cultivated quite a few mentor type relationships which have by far been the most significant (and they expect the least in return).

Sadly, I'll be working for a start-up and myself. It's far more difficult to come across people who are of use from a careers point of view in this environment. Outside of industry events and cold-emailing people who has some sort of tie to me (alumni etc.), I'm not sure where to look.

Ah yes, I know that feeling. Start-ups are a tough place to network.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending