The Student Room Group

Your opinion of Uni?

Currently doing my first year of A-Levels and my mum is already going on about going to Uni. I've always been quite anti-uni because I thought it sounded scary but i'm starting to consider it.

Is the workload hard and stressful? Is it a good experience? Is it worth going if you don't even know what you want to do career wise?

Scroll to see replies

If you're doing Engineering then yes; very hard, very stressful.
Reply 2
Depends on the uni and the course.

Most people enjoy it though.
Original post by Anonymous
If you're doing Engineering then yes; very hard, very stressful.

Why anonymous? :erm:
Work load and stress level depends massively on uni, course and you as a person.

The same goes for whether or not it is worth it.
Does your future career benefit from or need a degree? Or does it benefit more from three+ years of actual job experience?
Reply 6
Original post by Keyhofi
Does your future career benefit from or need a degree? Or does it benefit more from three+ years of actual job experience?

I have no idea what I would like to do as a future career. My mum just wants me to go for the experience. I get quite stressed with assignments though, i'm a bit of a perfectionist and always have to aim for the best, I can never have a laid back attitude when it comes to that sorta stuff. That's why I don't really know if it would be worth it as id imagine I would get stressed.
Original post by elliemayl
Currently doing my first year of A-Levels and my mum is already going on about going to Uni. I've always been quite anti-uni because I thought it sounded scary but i'm starting to consider it.

Is the workload hard and stressful? Is it a good experience? Is it worth going if you don't even know what you want to do career wise?

I wouldn't say the workload is hard and stressful. It is challenging but rightly so, you want to go somewhere where you are continuously being challenged and encouraged to reach your potential. It isn't always challenging either, first year was a breeze, second year there were a few challenges but third year has challenged me the most.

It is a good experience. Some people say it is the best time of their lives, I'm not too sure... I'm yet to graduate and I think I'll always look back fondly on the staff and people I met but best time? I don't think so.

Yes I think it is. Just don't take a silly subject which will limit your options - bluntly. University will open your eyes to more career choices than you thought there were - even if you were pretty quizzed up on it.

It's really difficult but you will be fine once you've done your a-levels you will know what to expect and what to do. The workload and the content and structure is a lot harder. You need to make sure what you want to do first before going to university, as it is your life and future. Make the right choices!
It's the best experience I've ever had. At times it has been stressful, but I wouldn't change my experience for anything! I'd definitely recommend it-moving out for uni really helps you grow up and become more self sufficient, as well as increasing your confidence no end.

The uni experience is so much more than just the certificate at the end!
Reply 10
I have no idea what I would like to do as a future career. My mum just wants me to go for the experience. I get quite stressed with assignments though, i'm a bit of a perfectionist and always have to aim for the best, I can never have a laid back attitude when it comes to that sorta stuff. That's why I don't really know if it would be worth it as id imagine I would get stressed.

I am queen of anxiety and stress and I have absolutely loved my time at uni. I'm 3/4 years into a law course and have absolutely no regrets. It's definitely stressful at times, but that's why which uni you go to (if you decide to go) is so important. I personally chose one close to home with great student support links because I knew it would benefit me. It's important to remember uni isn't the be all and end all. I'd suggest going to a few open days, have a look at some courses and campuses. Only then will you start to get a feel whether or not uni is for you. But if you do decide to go, go for you, not your mum
Honestly, what you should be considering is is it worth getting into so much debt? You'll owe £27,000 BEFORE any maintence loans, so if you're unsure about uni, don't let your mum push you into it unless she's going to pay off your debts for you
Reply 12
Original post by supernerdural
Honestly, what you should be considering is is it worth getting into so much debt? You'll owe £27,000 BEFORE any maintence loans, so if you're unsure about uni, don't let your mum push you into it unless she's going to pay off your debts for you

I don't think someone should ever let the fees put them off. You don't pay them back until you're earning over £21,000 per yer and when you do, it comes out of your wage before you even get it (unless you're self employed) and what does come out is minuscule. Student loans are the best type of loan you can get
Reply 13
Original post by socialscience92
It's really difficult but you will be fine once you've done your a-levels you will know what to expect and what to do. The workload and the content and structure is a lot harder. You need to make sure what you want to do first before going to university, as it is your life and future. Make the right choices!

Original post by EloiseStar
I wouldn't say the workload is hard and stressful. It is challenging but rightly so, you want to go somewhere where you are continuously being challenged and encouraged to reach your potential. It isn't always challenging either, first year was a breeze, second year there were a few challenges but third year has challenged me the most.

How would you compare A-Level's workload to university's? Because I'm doing really well with balancing my studies and i'm always one of the first to complete assignments and to an impressive standard (According to my teachers). Thank you for the advice!
How would you compare A-Level's workload to university's? Because I'm doing really well with balancing my studies and i'm always one of the first to complete assignments and to an impressive standard (According to my teachers). Thank you for the advice!

I've actually found it less work than A Level, especially in 1st and 2nd year (I do languages). I only do two essays a year and multiple writing and speaking assessments in the two languages I do. I find it so much more manageable than 6th form

it is worth doing even if you don't know what you want to do? basically yes the bit of paper at the end feels so good.

What your doing at a level can serve as a good indication of wha to take as can any interests you may have for instance if you like sport and think coaching might be fun theres a course for that do you want to be a music producer theres is a course for that too.

There is a relatively large work load but not really much more than if you had a job it really shouldn't take you more than 35-40 hours a week including the stuff in class seminars etc.As you say you don't know your best options to go and look through a few prospectuses see what takes your fancy it is so worth going uni opens doors and you'll have a lot of fun doing it it is stressful but not as mochas you think.

The most scary part is when your parents leave for the first time from then on let the good times roll.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by jonathanemptage
it is worth doing even if you don't know what you want to do basically the pice of paper at the end feels so good.

What your doing at a level can serve as a good indication of wha to take as can any interests you may have for instance if you like sport and think coaching might be fun theres a course for that do you want to be a music producer theres is a course for that too.

There is a relatively large work load but not really much more than if you had a job it really shouldn't take you more than 35-40 hours a week including the stuff in class seminars etc.As you say you don't know your best options to go and look through a few prospectuses see what takes your fancy it is so worth going uni opens doors and you'll have a lot of fun doing it it is stressful but not as mochas you think.

The most scary part is when your parents leave for the first time from then on let the good times roll.

Original post by super_kawaii
I've actually found it less work than A Level, especially in 1st and 2nd year (I do languages). I only do two essays a year and multiple writing and speaking assessments in the two languages I do. I find it so much more manageable than 6th form

Thank you for the advice, gives me a few ideas!

First year was easier than alevels and I was getting 1st/2:1s easily. Second year probably still a bit easier if not equal but third year is significantly harder. Not extremely but it's more difficult than second year. In a way it's easier because you know what's expected of you so it's easier to get high grades (I've got straight As so far) but I find it harder as I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself. There's a lot to remember for my course and I'm having to research more than I have ever done. Third year is only harder for me due to the word count and having to produce more work.

I've never really had a problem with completing it, it's not impossible.
Reply 18
Original post by EloiseStar
First year was easier than alevels and I was getting 1st/2:1s easily. Second year probably still a bit easier if not equal but third year is significantly harder. Not extremely but it's more difficult than second year. In a way it's easier because you know what's expected of you so it's easier to get high grades (I've got straight As so far) but I find it harder as I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself. There's a lot to remember for my course and I'm having to research more than I have ever done. Third year is only harder for me due to the word count and having to produce more work.

I've never really had a problem with completing it, it's not impossible.

Thank you that helps a lot breaking it down like that, i mean understably it's got to be sort of harder at some point!
My art teacher said she felt her a levels were much harder than her degree. I just want to make sure uni's a good option for me rather than take out a loan and end up having a mental breakdown over the work :')
Reply 19
It's painful if you have no friends.

Thats all i'm saying otherwise enjoy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending