The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Will it be possible to watch this session at a later date/time?
Reply 2
I really want to start a buisness! I don't know what to set up a business about! I want to keep the start up cost as low as possible
Hello,I'm working on a branding project where I have to come up with a brand extension for an existing brand. Teapigs is the chosen brand which currently operates online only. So in term of the extension, I was thinking to start a a tea exclusive café/teahouse. However, I'm stuck for an idea for a name for the café as it will be under the brand name Teapigs. Therefore the name has to suggest something related to "tea" or "pigs" possibly. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 4
1. What is the first thing I need to do if I want to start my own business?

2. Innovative product or something well-known?

3. What is the best (and cheapest) way to promote a brand new business?
Hi new to this forum not sure where to post, looking for some advice.

Basically I am not really happy with where I am with my job so will just explain and try to keep it brief.

After school I did a BTEC in animal management as I liked animals. This went well, got top marks and did some great work experience.

Wasn't sure what to do after this so did degree in animal management / wildlife management at same college. This went badly for various reasons and dropped out after a year and a half.

Went to university the same year to do environmental health. Found it hard but graduated with a 2.2 when I was 23.

However I chose not to do a placement year whilst at uni because of time I had already spent in HE back home. This means I don't have the experience to get a job relating to my degree.

Since I have graduated I have done various jobs and some travelling, now working in an office for the police force here.

I am turning 25 soon and have no career and still live with my parents. I don't want to do an environmental health placement year now as they tend to be unpaid.

I was wondering what the way forward would be? I was thinking of using my office experience to move up to a slightly better job then maybe look into doing my own business in a couple of years.

I have applied to a couple of jobs related to my degree but it's unlikely for the reasons I mentioned so I just want to be realistic with myself.
I really want to go self-employed (ltd company) as the job market is pretty dire at the moment.

I have a Degree in Business and Management but no actual experience of working in a business environment.

What kind of business could I do with little startup costs?

I've been thinking about a Marketing company but I only really know the theory from my degree.

Suggestions would be appreciated so I can figure it out from there.
Everything I think of seems to have downfalls and I know there are always faults but I want to spend my time doing something that I love. I'm nearing the end of my criminology degree (if I get a good grade), I've looked into a part-time job but that is dependent on somewhere having vacancies available and myself being chosen, I've thought about starting my own business but so far haven't sold anything and it seems very difficult to sell much or get good prices online, I've thought about doing a blog but there are so many out there and it seems to require a lot of time and it is unlikely that I will earn much, if anything. I've thought about teaching but it seems to take up much more hours than they state. Even teaching assistants don't seem to earn much for the hours that they do.
I'm literally only 17, but I own an online store that makes profits in the thousands. Can I and if I can, how will I put this on a CV without making it sound fake because it can't be proved that I built it myself?

I'm not really in need for a CV right now but it'd be nice to know :smile:

thanks
Hey

I am seriously considering starting my own business.

I am thinking of starting an online shop full of a variety of nail polish brands but I don't know where to begin or exactly how to start.

I know that starting a business is a lot of work.

Any tips?
I'm studying computer science, I would like to ask what kind of small business can I start? I hold CCNA, I'm studying programming, web development, software development.

I'm quite good at what I do, I'm not aiming to be big, just a small business which grows steadily.

1) IT consulting (web development, security, specs, network-I hold a CCNA, etc)
2) Software testing
3) IT training
4) Learning programming, web development classes

As again, I'm getting qualified, I hold A+, CCNA, I'm learning programming, software development, object orientated programming, web development.

Comments appreciated.
Hello, I am currently on my gap year and whilst I have tried to look for work that isn’t office admin or retail it has been rather unsuccessful. As a result I have decided to continue to look for a work but in the meantime I am considering starting my own pc repair business. I also need to send a university application very soon and I figured that showing a bit of entrepreneurship will look very good considering I am applying for a business related course.

I have done some research and in the area (Lewisham, London)there are a few small computer repair stores as well as curry’s/pc world. But the advantage I have is that I can easily undercut their prices and I will be able to travel to people’s homes within the area which is something these places don’t offer. However most these places do a lot than just repairs PC’s and laptops e.g. iPhone repair. This is something I can learn in the long term but I think it will be much easier to start out just repairing computers for now.I have looked into marketing. There are plenty of local newspapers and newsagents I can put up ads in and I can also make use of the web.

I am basically just looking for some advice as to how viable this might be. To be clear this doesn’t have to support me financially although that would be a bonus. Furthermore I will have to work from my home so I can’t have a store front or anything like that.
Reply 12
I was wondering if anyone here would know of a job that would be perfect for someone like me. I'm a bit lost in life right now, and not sure what I want to do. I also know a lot of jobs get lost under the radar.

The reason I post this here is because I think freelance work (or maybe forming my own business, who knows) is 'for me'. You guys have experience so I think you're best to give advice.

I'll list some things and if you could suggest something that'd be swell. I'm doing my own research at the same time to help myself.

- I'm (very) independent
- Adventurous (Like, explorer adventurous - want to travel)
- Very good at analysing and giving meaning to data/text
- I want to learn everything I possibly can, don't want to be doing the same task everyday (that's maddening)
- Don't particularly care about pay
- I'm great at graphic and web design
- Super creative
- Love planning things, love generating ideas

Buuuut...
- I'm not very stable
- Make really rash decisions
- Want to do my own thing
- Don't want to be told what to do
Reply 13
So,
When i think of the future I really want to be working in the anime/ manga creating sort of business. Desigining the characters and stuff. And only very recently have seen that I could run my own business. However...
Would it be best to go to Uni and study Animation and that sort of thing, to gain experience?- This also will then means ill be with my friends.
Or,
Get a job straight up out of college and proceed from there? (Some how?)
I'm really stumped for what i should do next, as im beginning to worry and people are asking more and more... Any advice would be great :smile:
Thank you!
Original post by Trihawk7
I'm literally only 17, but I own an online store that makes profits in the thousands. Can I and if I can, how will I put this on a CV without making it sound fake because it can't be proved that I built it myself?

I'm not really in need for a CV right now but it'd be nice to know :smile:

thanks

Find your website on Whois.net and then it should show who the domain is registered to which should be you, unless you mean a specific store such as eBay in which you can take a screen. Shot of your account logged in or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student Money Week
Got a great business idea? Find out how to start a business at uni with Vivi.

Vivi is the founder of Blackbullion, the online financial education company. She’s a public speaker, media commentator and flat-white fanatic.

I've started a blog shop mainly selling bracelets i have made and i'm also helping someone that makes and sells jewellery and also sells antiques, vintage items and collectables (which i have made websites for), i'm just not sure how to get sales. I've started an instagram and pinterest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
I'm born in a business family that make some great product which require craftsmanship. The business grew, but it is just not enough. And I have very ambitious plan about it. I just wish I could expand the business with my expertise (Computer science).

On the other hand. I love R&D and I had been dreaming it since childhood but the thing is, it's not well paid in my place. I just feel so confused and lonely everyday. All of my friends is seeking for job. Except me. I'm lost...deep in my own dream.

What can I do? I'm stuck.
Original post by wattyboy
I really want to start a buisness! I don't know what to set up a business about! I want to keep the start up cost as low as possible

Hi wattyboyWell done for wanting to start a business.If you don’t have any specific ideas think about what youare good at and what you enjoy doing. Do any of those things lend themselves toa business?If you still need ideas I suggest you google “I want to starta business” as there are lots of articles out there with ideas Depending what kind of business you want to set up willdetermine your start up costs. If you do an online business you just need awebsite this is probably the cheapest option… but these types of businessesare super-competitive so be sure you do something you really loveGood luck!Vivi :smile::smile:
Original post by MissKayenaat
Hello,I'm working on a branding project where I have to come up with a brand extension for an existing brand. Teapigs is the chosen brand which currently operates online only. So in term of the extension, I was thinking to start a a tea exclusive café/teahouse. However, I'm stuck for an idea for a name for the café as it will be under the brand name Teapigs. Therefore the name has to suggest something related to "tea" or "pigs" possibly. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi MissKayeComing up with names is hard people spend weeks trying tocome up with them.There are lots of name generators out there (like this one: https://www.shopify.com/tools/business-name-generator)so have a play around and see what you can come up withGood luckVivi :tongue:
Original post by Cremche
1. What is the first thing I need to do if I want to start my own business?

2. Innovative product or something well-known?

3. What is the best (and cheapest) way to promote a brand new business?

Hi Cremche,The first thing you need to do if you want to start abusiness is figure out what you want to do and realise that whatever it is, thejourney will be a hard one.There are advantages to innovation (massive upside,potential to create something extraordinary) and there are advantages to doingsomething well known (there is a market, you know there is demand, there is aprocess of how you set up…)There are also disadvantages to both; something innovative isvery hard because by definition no one has heard of new things so you arecreating a market as well as a business but something well known will have lotsof competition.The best business to set up is one you are passionate aboutand something you are good at.How you promote your business is dependent on what kind ofbusiness it is as you need to reach your potential clients where they are. Ifyou are looking to sell to students for example then social media is great ifyou are selling to OAPs then you need to go for traditional advertising.There are so many companies and causes marketing andadvertising themselves that there is an awful lot of “noise” finding a way tobreak through and promote your business is what almost all businesses strugglewith.There is a lot of reading and information out there and Iwould urge you to read as much as you can about enterprise and business and getsome ideas which might help.Good luckVivi :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending