The Student Room Group

good kid, maad city - a small-town kid's A-level journey

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SaadKaleem
Maths self teaching is easy Indeed, Exam solutions helps a lot, Moreover the books, are quite nice too.

Right now M1, however I just need to confirm through my centre, that I can register for Further Maths (there have been some issues lately)

How long do you think C3, C4, F1, M2 will take to self teach, I think I should do either C34 OR F1/M2 for now, I could be under estimating my capabilities though.

I have about 3 and half months till exams.

I hate it when centres are uncooperative. My school is just the same - private candidates have it better in that aspect.

C34 shouldn't take too much time provided your C12 is solid (and I think it is). I'd say F1 is doable in this timespan but M2 will take loads of practice to get down perfect even if the course is small. I'd say do S2 now because it takes like a week tops to learn and it's quite a bit easier. More interesting than S1 too!

4 months is fine, you'll be able to pull it off with enough dedication. C34, F1 and S2 will be straightforward :smile:
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I hate it when centres are uncooperative. My school is just the same - private candidates have it better in that aspect.

C34 shouldn't take too much time provided your C12 is solid (and I think it is). I'd say F1 is doable in this timespan but M2 will take loads of practice to get down perfect even if the course is small. I'd say do S2 now because it takes like a week tops to learn and it's quite a bit easier. More interesting than S1 too!

4 months is fine, you'll be able to pull it off with enough dedication. C34, F1 and S2 will be straightforward :smile:

C12 is solid, should be hopefully 190+ UMS.

How long do you think C3 and C4 will take individually, provided that, I study them all day long.

By the way, when you were learning the content for C34 (Which I think you have), did you solve every question in the book?
Reply 82
Original post by Zacken
Good guy spooder <3

Sounds great. Yeah, the practise to make it near muscle memory'll take some time, nothing you need to worry yourself over, it'll come with the past papers. Yeah, the integration is nice. It's keeping track of all the nasty fractions, square roots and squaring trigonometrical functions that's the main problem. I haven't seen any sketches in the past papers I've done. :dontknow:

Yikes, that's disheartening! I'll need to pay close attention to it. What are you specific weaknesses in it? If you can identify them, it'll make working on them slightly easier.

Slightly over 800 people. Glad to be here. :h:

I think Edexcel don't ask for sketches because it's a huge disadvantage to the ones with a GDC. FP2 should be good for a 90+ (or so I hope) by mid-March latest. Like you said before, FP2 is a paper you need to keep your calm in so sloppy work is pretty much inexcusable.

It's because there's so many forms as such, the actual stuff isn't too bad. I just need to grind a few exercises and I hope that'll do the trick. I'll bother you with them quite a bit :colondollar:

C'mon fam, don't get emotional - we have about 6 months left till results! I hope I can sustain this motivation long term.

Original post by Zacken
You both deserve your near unconditionals! :biggrin: Thanks for \sqrt{}-ing for me. (that was so bad :lol: ) :lol:

Yours is basically an unconditional because we know you can pull it off. :tongue:

Hahahaha I admit, it's bad but it's pretty punny

we're always rooting, Zain, trust in your own abilities and you shall go a long way.
Reply 83
C12 is solid, should be hopefully 190+ UMS.

How long do you think C3 and C4 will take individually, provided that, I study them all day long.

By the way, when you were learning the content for C34 (Which I think you have), did you solve every question in the book?

That's good to hear! Aim for the same grade in C34 to secure an A* in Maths.

How long will it take depends on how fast you adsorb the content, really. I skipped over a lot of questions and just took a look at the examples and did a few of the hardest ones from the books and papers. Realistically, trig, vectors and integration should take the longest but you won't need over a month to learn it. I did it in about 3 weeks because I really needed to start Further Maths and I couldn't really proceed without refreshing myself. I did a few C34 chapters during IGCSEs, so it wasn't completely new to me.
Reply 84

Because there are so many C3/4/34 papers, I'd advise doing only a few questions from the book and focusing the bulk of the effort in spamming past papers.

I think Edexcel don't ask for sketches because it's a huge disadvantage to the ones with a GDC. FP2 should be good for a 90+ (or so I hope) by mid-March latest. Like you said before, FP2 is a paper you need to keep your calm in so sloppy work is pretty much inexcusable.

Yeah, good point. You'll be on 95+ by mid-March latest, watch my words. :yep:

It's because there's so many forms as such, the actual stuff isn't too bad. I just need to grind a few exercises and I hope that'll do the trick. I'll bother you with them quite a bit :colondollar:

Ah, yeah. Most of the time, one tends to be the most useful throughout (r.n = D for planes, for example) and after some practise you should be able to convert from one form the other with one or no lines of working. :yep:

C'mon fam, don't get emotional - we have about 6 months left till results! I hope I can sustain this motivation long term.

Yours is basically an unconditional because we know you can pull it off. :tongue:

Hahahaha I admit, it's bad but it's pretty punny

we're always rooting, Zain, trust in your own abilities and you shall go a long way.

Haha, good point! I don't think either of us will be able to sustain the motivation the entire time, there'll be numerous bumps, but we just gotta pull through! :h:

Oi, STEP's still a work in progress. :tongue:
That's good to hear! Aim for the same grade in C34 to secure an A* in Maths.

How long will it take depends on how fast you adsorb the content, really. I skipped over a lot of questions and just took a look at the examples and did a few of the hardest ones from the books and papers. Realistically, trig, vectors and integration should take the longest but you won't need over a month to learn it. I did it in about 3 weeks because I really needed to start Further Maths and I couldn't really proceed without refreshing myself. I did a few C34 chapters during IGCSEs, so it wasn't completely new to me.

Original post by Zacken
Because there are so many C3/4/34 papers, I'd advise doing only a few questions from the book and focusing the bulk of the effort in spamming past papers.

Thanks both, sounds good to me. :smile:
Reply 86
Okay, full marks in a short FP2 test on Taylor series. Little steps, little steps :tongue:
Reply 87
Okay, full marks in a short FP2 test on Taylor series. Little steps, little steps :tongue:

YAY! :woo: Out of curiosity, what's a 'short FP2 test'? Do you just pick out questions from the textbook or...?
Reply 88
Original post by Zacken
YAY! :woo: Out of curiosity, what's a 'short FP2 test'? Do you just pick out questions from the textbook or...?

You're more excited than I am :tongue: I take them from past paper questions by topic from physics and maths tutor, just to see whether or not I'm doing alright according to the mark schemes. I think I'll be done with polar coordinates tonight which is good news!
North American unis :woo: very impressive.

Good luck with your IAL results :rave::rave: (in a few weeks? :tongue:)

Inspiring back story :h:
Reply 90
Original post by SeanFM
North American unis :woo: very impressive.

Good luck with your IAL results :rave::rave: (in a few weeks? :tongue:)

Inspiring back story :h:

Glad to have the humblest mathmo on board. :smile:

I'll get to know in 3 weeks, but I wish it was sooner! I really need to know how M2 and FP1 went.

Thank you, as is yours! I pick up inspiration from all of you brilliant TSR-ers and to have SeanFM say that to me is a pretty big honour :colondollar:
Reply 91
I've finished revising for my FP2 mock. Waking up early did wonders. :biggrin: Maybe I should do a past paper tonight to see what level I'm on as of now.

Confused whether I should do FP3 vectors or physics right now. Decisions, decisions....
Reply 92
I've finished revising for my FP2 mock. Waking up early did wonders. :biggrin: Maybe I should do a past paper tonight to see what level I'm on as of now.

Confused whether I should do FP3 vectors or physics right now. Decisions, decisions....

...you are waking up #goalz. :lol:

FP3 vectors! Get at it. Continue the maths roll. :yep:
Glad to have the humblest mathmo on board. :smile:

I'll get to know in 3 weeks, but I wish it was sooner! I really need to know how M2 and FP1 went.

Thank you, as is yours! I pick up inspiration from all of you brilliant TSR-ers and to have SeanFM say that to me is a pretty big honour :colondollar:

Original post by Zacken

I got locked out of my ResultsPlusDirect account for the 3rd time so now I have to tell my teachers I locked myself out :rofl:

This is gonna be embarrassing
Reply 94
Original post by Zacken

Hey you're up early today too! Not sleeping in today? :wink:

I already started :biggrin: Currently looking over the hardest C4 stuff before I move on to FP3.

Original post by Student403
I got locked out of my ResultsPlusDirect account for the 3rd time so now I have to tell my teachers I locked myself out :rofl:

Ahahaha, call me uneducated but what benefits do you get with ResultsPlus anyway? Our school doesn't use it - they prefer to put up all our grades with UMS on the bulletin board instead (scary...)
Hey you're up early today too! Not sleeping in today? :wink:

I already started :biggrin: Currently looking over the hardest C4 stuff before I move on to FP3.

Ahahaha, call me uneducated but what benefits do you get with ResultsPlus anyway? Our school doesn't use it - they prefer to put up all our grades with UMS on the bulletin board instead (scary...)

Oh that does sound scary :O

I prefer RPD cause you can see the exact scores (down to the raw mark per question that you got). So if you have the paper on hand, you can see how many marks you picked up where. It's pretty nifty for those who are curious.

Also it's a private portal so noone else has to see - and it shows you the grade boundaries too
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 96
Oh that does sound scary :O

I prefer RPD cause you can see the exact scores (down to the raw mark per question that you got). So if you have the paper on hand, you can see how many marks you picked up where. It's pretty nifty for those who are curious.

Also it's a private portal so noone else has to see - and it shows you the grade boundaries too

That is extremely useful, I must say. We have to pay extra for that privilege. Rechecking a script costs more than resisting a module. :confused:
That is extremely useful, I must say. We have to pay extra for that privilege. Rechecking a script costs more than resisting a module. :confused:

WHAT! Wow that's a tough price to pay! :frown:
Reply 98

:rofl: Why were you even checking it now? :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
:rofl: Why were you even checking it now? :rofl:

I wanted to make sure I could log on cause on AS results day in August, I got locked out on the day and then I had an 8 hour flight right after :cry2: So I didn't want to be sh**ting myself for 8 hours lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending