The Student Room Group

How likely is it that I've broken my finger?

Yesterday in PE (we still do it in 6th form) I caught a dodgeball weirdly, and it bent my pinky finger strange. It was hurting straight away, and since then I haven't been able to move it at all, and can't bend it.
It was swollen straight away, but over the last day it's gotten worse (I barely even have those weird knuckle lines any more) and there's a small amount of bruising on top of and under my knuckle. My parents have said its not broken because it's not black all over (I do agree) but the pain and swelling is getting worse, and the bruising is slowly developing. Any advice on what to do? Don't want to waste a ton of time in A&E or minor injuries if it's not broken

Posted from TSR Mobile
It sounds like it's possibly staved. Go to your GP and get it checked out but there isn't anything they can do really, but it's always good to be sure
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455272175.371738.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455272184.488477.jpg
This is how my finger looks this morning, I've had some ice on it for a while but it's still incredibly painful, and the pain is now spreading down my hand and into my wrist. I'm starting to get a little bit worried, but I need some advice just to reassure me it's not broken

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's similar to what happened to me in netball, my finger got staved and did the same thing yours did, I went to the hospital the next morning and they told me it was a hairline fracture, I had to wear a splint for about 2 weeks
Original post by JessThomas6
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455272175.371738.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455272184.488477.jpg
This is how my finger looks this morning, I've had some ice on it for a while but it's still incredibly painful, and the pain is now spreading down my hand and into my wrist. I'm starting to get a little bit worried, but I need some advice just to reassure me it's not broken

Posted from TSR Mobile

None of us will be able to tell you.

Go to your local walk-in centre and get it checked out.

They will do an x-ray to look for hairline fractures. Don't leave it in case it is broken or you have torn a ligament etc.

The sooner you go, the sooner you will get treatment if needed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Get it checked out, looks injured
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by uberteknik
None of us will be able to tell you.

Go to your local walk-in centre and get it checked out.

They will do an x-ray to look for hairline fractures. Don't leave it in case it is broken or you have torn a ligament etc.

The sooner you go, the sooner you will get treatment if needed.

Only problem is the hospital is on the other side of town, my parents are both in work (I can't drive yet), I can't get a bus and the weekend is full of family birthdays so I don't want to ruin them :s-smilie:
I'm thinking if I just leave it and try to avoid moving it it will heal eventually, but my brother broke his finger and it's now deformed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only problem is the hospital is on the other side of town, my parents are both in work (I can't drive yet), I can't get a bus and the weekend is full of family birthdays so I don't want to ruin them :s-smilie:
I'm thinking if I just leave it and try to avoid moving it it will heal eventually, but my brother broke his finger and it's now deformed

Posted from TSR Mobile

go on the weekend when your parents will be free? You don't want to leave it too long or they might have to re-break it to set it straight.
Original post by aliman65
go on the weekend when your parents will be free? You don't want to leave it too long or they might have to re-break it to set it straight.

It's my mums birthday tomorrow, and my gran&cousins birthday on Sunday so we're busy all weekend :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's my mums birthday tomorrow, and my gran&cousins birthday on Sunday so we're busy all weekend :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you not know anyone who works in the medical profession? They would easily be able to tell if it's broken
Original post by aliman65
Do you not know anyone who works in the medical profession? They would easily be able to tell if it's broken

Closest I have is a friend with a mum who works at a doctors surgery, she's said its very similar to when she broke her finger so I'm really confused
I've never broken a bone before so I don't know what it feels/looks like, only time someone has broken one close to me was my brother and he did it while I was away on a school residential

Posted from TSR Mobile
Closest I have is a friend with a mum who works at a doctors surgery, she's said its very similar to when she broke her finger so I'm really confused
I've never broken a bone before so I don't know what it feels/looks like, only time someone has broken one close to me was my brother and he did it while I was away on a school residential

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just go to a hospital and get it looked at, you don't need to spend the entire weekend with your family. One of your parents might drop you off if you asked them and I doubt it would ruin the weekend either.

I broke my thumb pretty badly, but unlike your situation it was obviously broken as it was pointing in about three different directions and was also broken all the way to the wrist; didn't exactly have a choice but to go to a hospital then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then get your mum to take you to A&E this evening.

Look, you have injured your finger. Your mum will be more anxious to get you sorted out than worried about a birthday.

Birthdays happen every year. You only have one finger.

Your mum is an adult, you are her first and foremost priority ahead of anything else. She may be a bit miffed so close to this weekend, but hey, your health and potentially the use of your fingers/hand far outweighs any sense of disappointment she may feel.

In a few hours the weekend will be over. You may still be left with a damaged finger for the rest of your life.

It's great that you put others feelings ahead of your own self, but this is not the time nor the place to worry about that. Your own health must take priority.

Don't wait, you must get this seen to or you may live to regret.
Original post by uberteknik
Then get your mum to take you to A&E this evening.

Look, you have injured your finger. Your mum will be more anxious to get you sorted out than worried about a birthday.

Birthdays happen every year. You only have one finger.

Your mum is an adult, you are her first and foremost priority ahead of anything else. She may be a bit miffed so close to this weekend, but hey, your health and potentially the use of your fingers/hand far outweighs any sense of disappointment she may feel.

In a few hours the weekend will be over. You may still be left with a damaged finger for the rest of your life.

It's great that you put others feelings ahead of your own self, but this is not the time nor the place to worry about that. Your own health must take priority.

Don't wait, you must get this seen to or you may live to regret.

She thinks it's just sprained, as I'm so clumsy I used to be in A&E every couple of months a few years back because I would trip or fall downstairs, so I don't know if she believes me

Posted from TSR Mobile
She thinks it's just sprained, as I'm so clumsy I used to be in A&E every couple of months a few years back because I would trip or fall downstairs, so I don't know if she believes me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whether she believes you or not is irrelevant. Tell her it may be sprained or it could be something worse. Either way, she is not a doctor and you both need to know it's nothing worse.

Insist.
This kind of injury needs to be x-rayed and examined carefully within 7 days. It may be that the force of the ball stretched one of the tendons in your finger (and possibly even pulled a piece of bone off in the process). If so, it may require a special finger splint to be worn to allow the tendon to heal.

I would go to a minor injuries unit, personally.

Quick Reply

Latest