The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I have been accepted for a year's paid work placement this summer before retuning to Uni next year to complete my degree. I will be living at home for the year. I know that I still have to pay a reduced tuition fee but am unsure about any other funding available for living and travel costs. Do I still apply as a normal continuing student and will the online application allow me to explain my new circumstances?
Thank you
Hello,

Firstly, I want to study a degree with a placement year attached to it, but I am really confused by the student finance behind it and so it would be great if you could help me find some answers. On the student finance website it says that I have to declare my entire household income, including my mums, dads and mine. Therefore, at the end of my placement and going into year four of my degree would i have to declare my mums earnings, my dads and all the money I earned on a placement year? If this is the case I cannot afford to do a placement year as my mum and dad wouldn't earn enough to be able to contribute to the cost of living, and since they also have another dependent child they definitely can't help me, and so if my paid placement earnings on the placement year had to be declared with my mum and dads earnings it would lead to a big drop in what maintenance loan I'd be eligible for, and wouldn't be enough to support myself in my final year, and so there would be no point in doing a placement year if it means that I wouldn't have enough money to live in my final year. It's just really confusing and kind of getting to me a bit not knowing how it works, so if you could help me that would be amazing!
Also, when on a paid placement are you eligible for a reduced student maintenance loan or are you not eligible for one at all except to cover the reduced tuition fees?One of the other courses I want to do is German and Politics at the University of Nottingham, which gives the opportunity to study in Germany or to work in Germany as a language assistant with the British Council or other employers. So in terms of studying abroad, would I be able to get a higher rate of maintenance loan to help with travel costs or would it be the same amount as previous years (depending on parental income, but my parents income is quite stable so it would be similar most years)? Furthermore, in terms of working abroad the language assistants with the British Council get paid €800 per month, equating to €7200 over the total time I'd be there. In a similar case to the Placement year question, would this have to be included the following year in the total household income even though I earned it abroad and even though it was a placement year, because I wouldn't really be able to save any of that to use for the following year for university costs if it did count towards household income that student finance look at, and so would stop me from doing this work placement abroad also.

Finally, when applying to student finance do student finance take into account earnings from my part time Saturday job that I do for 4 hours a week or is that not included? I'm sure it would be because the website says all earnings in the household, but I just remember reading on a student finance information sheet for 2015/16 that Saturday Job earnings wouldn't have to be included, and so I was just wondering if it had changed at all?

Sorry for the long list of questions, its only this long because I haven't got anyone else to ask.
Thank you very much for your time,
Dylan Wood.
What is it like studying a year abroad? I am debating whether or not I study a year abroad, somewhere not in Europe, as I want to have a good experience but I want opinions on what it is like, please.
Hi

I study chemical engineering and am intetested in studying abroad. Its between the UAE and USA ( new york / california). Whilst there i want to learn acting,mma etc. Which is best ?
Also im slightly worried about studying abroad because of having to settle in to a complete new envirent. Can you please give me some extra advice.

Thank you
Hasan
Reply 5
Just curious of the application process and experience of a year abroad. Im unsure of how you apply. Still doing a levels but thinking about a uni course that offers a year abroad. Im from England btw. Anyone currently studying abroad feel free to share your experiences.
How does the student loan including tuition fees in regards to a placement year?
I was wondering how students find funding to study abroad, since the UK gov doesn't offer student loan unless they are studying at a UK uni. Courses in European unis can range from circa 3000 EUR to 30,000 EUR a year, so I was wondering what ways students can use to fund the costs. Do a lot of students just have very rich parents?
I have currently started my first year at college in the UK studying psychology, sociology, law and politics. I have known for the majority of even my high school years that I want to study in a Swedish university and begin a life there. Of course, I have two years+ to go but to be able to live in Sweden this time in two years will honestly be a dream come true. My parents 100% support me already as they know my love for the country.

However, I'm not sure where to start and need a sense of direction. I have been researching universities, but as I'd be setting up a whole new life, I understand I will need to have funding for living costs eg taxes, rent, etc and insurance there too. There's a lot more to it than choosing a university here in the UK. I have set up a savings account at the start of this month and put all my wages into it which I plan to do with the majority of my pay (I get enough tips as a waitress to have that to spend on myself). As the time grows nearer, my parents are more than happy to help but I want to be as independent as possible financially with this process.

I'd like to mention that I speak Swedish already. I'm a completely self taught 16 year old (17 in two days). I have Swedish friends who have of course helped me a whole lot along the way. I do make mistakes as you'd imagine, but holding a conversation is not difficult anymore. I have not been to Sweden as of yet, but am awaiting for May to roll around for me and my parents to check it out. I understand it may be early to be considering universities as I have only just began college, but with it being abroad, I feel as though I need to be as prepared as possible. I'm terrified of leaving it too late and the chance of me studying in Sweden being impossible.

What are the most important things to consider when starting a process like this? I'm completely lost with where to start.
I am looking to do a year abroad or two years at the University of British Columbia. How do students fund there studies?
Reply 10
I have recently been accepted onto an exchange year with a partner institution in China. I've already changed my Student Finance England to study abroad status.

Does anyone have any knowledge about tuition fees, my university stated they can send what I apply for through SFE to the partner to pay for those fees. I have to foot 50% of my first semester myself for my visa to be processed, I'm just not clear if SFE will fund my tuition abroad for a year.
Hi guys, :smile:
I want to study medicine in barcelona next year, i'm a 23 year old Italian girl living in London for 2 years so far

Whats the procedure step by step from uned to be enrolled to the uni?

Do i need to take the pau? When do i need to go to uned website and start with the requested documentation? All the deadlines?

Thank you
Reply 12
My names Kate. I'm starting an undergraduate course in university in September. I'm a mature student as well as a single mother.
I'm very interested in studying abroad for a semester in either Canada or the USA.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this with children? I have researched a lot into it and know that it is possible, but if anyone could share their experiences that would be amazing.
Thank you.
Reply 13
Hello!

I'm just about to start my second year at college doing a level 3 Btec in Marine biology & Ecology and looking towards university afterwards in the Zoology/ Animal behaviour departments.

Currently my main choices are penryn campus of university of Exeter, due to being able to stay at home and knowing the area, and Bangor univeristy. Since i have family nearby which can also cut down living costs. More recently with my joining time being where Grants will likely be scrapped (2016) I am now considering studying abroad.

I believe by moving away from the place I have always lived, it will force me to be more sociable and more engaging with others. However cost is a major factor, i have heard that some countries (Germany?) tend to Cover a lot of the cost for international students, which would be good to finally confirm.

Additionally besides English I know basic french but enough to ask for directions and help with. so countries with less emphasis on local language would be far better so i could interact easier. besides europe Canada and New Zealand have been places i have also really waned to visit. I'm probally not going to go Asian countries because i have been told that local language is a lot bigger aspect there.

Thanks for reading and any advice is greatly appreciated!
Original post by EmilyEco
Hi, I have been accepted for a year's paid work placement this summer before retuning to Uni next year to complete my degree. I will be living at home for the year. I know that I still have to pay a reduced tuition fee but am unsure about any other funding available for living and travel costs. Do I still apply as a normal continuing student and will the online application allow me to explain my new circumstances?
Thank you

Hi EmilyEco

If you are studying a “sandwich”course with a placement year, you are correct that the fees are reduced for the placement year. You will need to check with your university how much they willbe charging in tuition fees for that year. The maximum Tuition Fee Loan available for an industrial placement year will be £1,800, so we wouldn’t expect your university to charge any more than this.For your living costs support, as you will be on a paid placement you can apply for a reduced non means tested Maintenance Loan to supplement your placement income. In 2016/17this will be a maximum of £1,863 if you will be living in your parental home.

Yes you apply for funding as a continuing student. On the application it will ask you where will you spend most of your time in each term: at university, study abroad or work placement? You need to tick work placement forevery term. It will then ask you questions about your placement such as whereit will be, the address and whether it’s paid or unpaid. Answers to all these questions will allow SFE to assess you based on your new circumstances

Hope that helps
Einir
eh2�pd^
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WoodChippings22
Hello,

Firstly, I want to study a degree with a placement year attached to it, but I am really confused by the student finance behind it and so it would be great if you could help me find some answers. On the student finance website it says that I have to declare my entire household income, including my mums, dads and mine. Therefore, at the end of my placement and going into year four of my degree would i have to declare my mums earnings, my dads and all the money I earned on a placement year? If this is the case I cannot afford to do a placement year as my mum and dad wouldn't earn enough to be able to contribute to the cost of living, and since they also have another dependent child they definitely can't help me, and so if my paid placement earnings on the placement year had to be declared with my mum and dads earnings it would lead to a big drop in what maintenance loan I'd be eligible for, and wouldn't be enough to support myself in my final year, and so there would be no point in doing a placement year if it means that I wouldn't have enough money to live in my final year. It's just really confusing and kind of getting to me a bit not knowing how it works, so if you could help me that would be amazing!
Also, when on a paid placement are you eligible for a reduced student maintenance loan or are you not eligible for one at all except to cover the reduced tuition fees?One of the other courses I want to do is German and Politics at the University of Nottingham, which gives the opportunity to study in Germany or to work in Germany as a language assistant with the British Council or other employers. So in terms of studying abroad, would I be able to get a higher rate of maintenance loan to help with travel costs or would it be the same amount as previous years (depending on parental income, but my parents income is quite stable so it would be similar most years)? Furthermore, in terms of working abroad the language assistants with the British Council get paid €800 per month, equating to €7200 over the total time I'd be there. In a similar case to the Placement year question, would this have to be included the following year in the total household income even though I earned it abroad and even though it was a placement year, because I wouldn't really be able to save any of that to use for the following year for university costs if it did count towards household income that student finance look at, and so would stop me from doing this work placement abroad also.

Finally, when applying to student finance do student finance take into account earnings from my part time Saturday job that I do for 4 hours a week or is that not included? I'm sure it would be because the website says all earnings in the household, but I just remember reading on a student finance information sheet for 2015/16 that Saturday Job earnings wouldn't have to be included, and so I was just wondering if it had changed at all?

Sorry for the long list of questions, its only this long because I haven't got anyone else to ask.
Thank you very much for your time,
Dylan Wood.

Hi Dylan

First of all, when your student finance is means tested based on your household income, it is assessed on your parent’s taxable income. The only income that Student Finance wouldtake into account from you would be “unearned income”, things like investmentsor interest on savings. So anything you earn through part-time work (before andduring your course) or a placement year will not be included in your studentfinance assessment for any years of your course. So please be rest assured that going on a paid placement will not have an impact on your household income assessment for your final year of your course and your current Saturday job will not be included either.

If you were to study German and spend a year in Germany as part of your course, you would most likely come under the Erasmus + Studyor Traineeship scheme. On top of earning a wage through working as a Language Assistant, you could qualify for an Erasmus + Study or Traineeship grant. If your year abroad comes under Erasmus+ you will be eligible for the full means tested funding (as per previous years of the course) and the loan would be slightly higher at the Overseas rate. A Tuition Fee Loan would also be available to pay the reduced tuition fees. If you were to study a different course and the placement year was working in the UK and you were paid for the placement, you would not be eligible for the full means tested Maintenance Loan but instead the reduced non means tested amount. For academic year 16/17 this would be £1,863 if you lived in the parental home, £3,487 if your placement was in London or £2,483 if you did not live with your parents and the placement was outside London.

Hope that helps
Einir
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by beththomas__
What is it like studying a year abroad? I am debating whether or not I study a year abroad, somewhere not in Europe, as I want to have a good experience but I want opinions on what it is like, please.

Hi beththomas_

I am a Student Finance expert so here to answer any questions relating to studying abroad or going on placement and your funding.You might find answers toyour questions on the web on websites such as: http://www.studyabroad.com/student-guide/introduction.aspx

Thanks
Einir
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hasan6091
Hi

I study chemical engineering and am intetested in studying abroad. Its between the UAE and USA ( new york / california). Whilst there i want to learn acting,mma etc. Which is best ?
Also im slightly worried about studying abroad because of having to settle in to a complete new envirent. Can you please give me some extra advice.

Thank you
Hasan

Hi Hasan

I am a Student Finance expert so here to answer any questions relating to studying abroad or going on placement and you funding.You might find answers toyour questions on the web on websites such as: http://www.studyabroad.com/student-guide/introduction.aspx

Thanks
Einir
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
Just curious of the application process and experience of a year abroad. Im unsure of how you apply. Still doing a levels but thinking about a uni course that offers a year abroad. Im from England btw. Anyone currently studying abroad feel free to share your experiences.

Hi Kitten
The University you will be studying at will be able to help you arrange an exchange to study abroad. Youcan most probably ask someone at Opendays and they can give you furtherinformation.I am a Student Financeexpert so here to answer any questions relating to studying abroad or going on placementand you funding.

You might find answers to your questions on the web on websites such as: http://www.studyabroad.com/student-guide/introduction.aspx

Hope that helps
Einir
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
How does the student loan including tuition fees in regards to a placement year?

Hi Tiger Rag
The funding available fora placement year depends on what you do and were you do it.Most work placementstudents are charged £1,800 tuition fees for the placement year. The exceptionfor this is if you work as part of the Erasmus+ Scheme which you are charged £1,350.A tuition fee loan is available to cover the fees.If your placement is an Erasmus+ placement or it’s unpaid and falls under any of the categories below,you will be eligible for full means tested funding as you would do on the non placement years:·

Research in an educational institution in the UK or·

In a Local Authority or Voluntary organisation in the UK working within health, welfare or care of children and young people or·

In a Hospital / Public Health laboratory or Primary Care Trust in the UK or·

In a Prison or Probation and aftercare service in the UK or·

Strategic Health Authority / Local Health Board / Special Health Board /Health and Social Services Board or·

At the Houses of Parliament

If the placement is paid or if it’s unpaid and itdoesn’t fall under one of the above categories, you will only qualify for areduced non means tested Maintenance Loan. For academic year 16/17 this would be £1,863 if you lived in the parental home, £3,487 if your placement was in London or £2,483 if you did not live with your parents and the placement was outside London.

I hope that helps
Einir
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending