The Student Room Group

Art gcse year 11

Hi I am currently doing Art Year 11 GCSE DIARY' question 4 and would like to know how I can bring my work to A* standard. Does anyone have any tips they are using
for the DIARY question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by catgirl99
Hi I am currently doing Art Year 11 GCSE DIARY' question 4 and would like to know how I can bring my work to A* standard. Does anyone have any tips they are using
for the DIARY question.

I did my gcse last year so i didn't have 'Dairy' as my question, however i did achieve full marks so here's a few general tips (that i followed) that might help:
-Do a lot of sketches. Pen, pencil, ink, watercolour, chalk, charcoal, use as many mediums as possible and sketch your ideas and what you're thinking. Lots of drawings will really boost your marks.
-Write about what you do. A lot of people think that what you write is kind of ignored, however; it is important to write creatively about what you're thinking and your ideas. Don't over do it though and write as neatly as you can
-This one might not apply for you but it's something that really helped me. Where most people go for a really thick book with masses of content and loads of quick experiments (which is a very 'arty' aproach and is absolutely fine), i made my book immaculate. I still did the same testers and experiments however i kept my book as neat as possible and spent more time on presentation that anything else. The 'Quality over Quantity' approach worked very well for me personally, i only had 8 pages in the exam book. Also, coming up with creative ideas in your presentation can help, like tying things in and having holes through pages for pictures to link them together and stuff.
-Coming up to your final piece, planning is sooo important. It helps so much to know exactly what you're going to do in those 10 hrs and i cannot recommend that enough. I personally spent 10 hrs out of school doing a practice painting to make sure i had time to complete one of a similar size in the exam.

Like i said, these things worked well for me but they may not for you, i did take slightly different approach to most people. I'm sorry i couldn't help you specifically with the diary thing but i hope at least some of what i've said can help! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply I will certainly put all that into practise.

Quick Reply

Latest