The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aspiring Barista
Hi All,

I wondered if I could have your opinion on something? It seems that I will be out of the country undertaking an internship this year when the Gateway season is in full-flow (May - August). It would be very unlikely that I would have the means or opportunity to fly back for any interviews (if I were to get any!), however I feel like completely ignoring an entire Gateway season could be potentially foolish. I wondered if people had an opinion on potential options: a) I apply to a limited, but targeted, number of sets - so if I do get any interviews I should seriously consider the travel; b) I apply to 12 as I would normally, knowing full-well that I may have to decline an interview if I receive one; or c) do not apply at all. I think it would be good practice re written applications, but don't want to inadvertently harm my chances with a set if I have to decline (or bankrupt myself by flying back!).

In relation to option b) do you think a Chambers would know/remember if I declined an interview one year, only to re-apply the next?

Any input would be welcome.

Personally, I wouldn't apply in the knowledge that you will decline the interview. I don't think it's worth it merely to get a sense of how your paper application is received. There are other worthwhile avenues if you simply want to see whether your app is up to scratch. To be honest I doubt that chambers will remember you for the next year but is it worth the risk?

As for (a), I suppose that greatly depends on how difficult it is to travel. Where exactly will you be? If it's Europe then potentially doable. If it's somewhere like the US then it becomes a different proposition.
Original post by shestheone
If you've been taking advantage of the increasing number of sets advertising out of the gateway then you should have an Inclination as to how successful you'll be this season. I.e. If you're already getting interviews then of course you should have your finger in as many pies as possible and not overlook the gateway. If you are yet to be successful In gaining any interviews (and I'm assuming it's your first year) then firstly, don't panic, you've got lots more opportunities and secondly chances are you'll have better luck next year anyway when you'll have more to put on your cv etc (such as the internship)

I skyped a few first round interviews this year, then flew over for second rounds, and just received an offer so it seems like it didn't put me at a disadvantage. They said the Skype interview was new but it worked just as well. Perhaps this could be an option for you?
Original post by pupillagegal
I skyped a few first round interviews this year, then flew over for second rounds, and just received an offer so it seems like it didn't put me at a disadvantage. They said the Skype interview was new but it worked just as well. Perhaps this could be an option for you?

Im glad more sets are going with Skype interviews. I've never had major issues with travelling but sometimes I would be at an interview where I maybe had to travel 2 hours, and I find out another candidate has had to travel 6 instead. These kind of applicants could really benefit from skype interviews

Also, congratulations! When did you hear?
Original post by Radebe91
On another note, New Square second rounds are out.

Congratulations.

Looks like a 'no cigar' moment for me then.

Really concerned by my inability to get through to second round so far this year - although I should at least be grateful for first round interviews...

😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Best guppy
Congratulations.

Really concerned by my inability to get through to second round so far this year - although I should at least be grateful for first round interviews...

😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's only the second time I've ever been through to a second round. The other was XXIV last year.
Original post by TempestLaw
Im glad more sets are going with Skype interviews. I've never had major issues with travelling but sometimes I would be at an interview where I maybe had to travel 2 hours, and I find out another candidate has had to travel 6 instead. These kind of applicants could really benefit from skype interviews

Also, congratulations! When did you hear?

Yeah I had to fly so it was just getting too expensive and taking a whole day off work, hotel costs etc. Was funny on a few interviews with delayed internet though!

Yay thanks, I heard today, unbelievably happy/relieved!

Best of luck to you :smile:
Original post by Best guppy
Congratulations.

😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know the feeling and its disheartening however, if it helps to reassure you at all, this year was my fourth year applying for pupillage. In all the years, although I had plenty of first rounds, I struggled getting second rounds.

This year was the first and only time I got through to the second round and it resulted in an offer that I duly accepted. You only need one second round and one offer at the end of it.
Original post by jon_38dale
I know the feeling and its disheartening however, if it helps to reassure you at all, this year was my fourth year applying for pupillage. In all the years, although I had plenty of first rounds, I struggled getting second rounds.

This year was the first and only time I got through to the second round and it resulted in an offer that I duly accepted. You only need one second round and one offer at the end of it.

Well done! That is inspirational.

Can we ask where you will be starting?

Preach! It's taken me fourteen interviews to get a pupillage, keep going everyone!
I just wanted to say, having been offered Pupillage today, that this thread has been a lifesaver! Thank you to everyone who has contributed, supported and encouragd me and others on here. I want to wish everyone the very best of luck with future applications and interviews. Don't let this daunting process get to you, you will get Pupillage, and you will persevere!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Congrats!

Thank you :smile:

Fairly glad I won't be doing that to be honest!

Original post by Law_student77
You got a response

Post-1st round rejections from Pump Ct Tax by email yesterday afternoon. Having read above what the 2nd round is, I'm also not exactly too disappointed that I won't be doing it!
Original post by Aspiring Barista
Hi All,

I wondered if I could have your opinion on something? It seems that I will be out of the country undertaking an internship this year when the Gateway season is in full-flow (May - August). It would be very unlikely that I would have the means or opportunity to fly back for any interviews (if I were to get any!), however I feel like completely ignoring an entire Gateway season could be potentially foolish. I wondered if people had an opinion on potential options: a) I apply to a limited, but targeted, number of sets - so if I do get any interviews I should seriously consider the travel; b) I apply to 12 as I would normally, knowing full-well that I may have to decline an interview if I receive one; or c) do not apply at all. I think it would be good practice re written applications, but don't want to inadvertently harm my chances with a set if I have to decline (or bankrupt myself by flying back!).

In relation to option b) do you think a Chambers would know/remember if I declined an interview one year, only to re-apply the next?

Any input would be welcome.

Personally, I would also go down the route of researching which Chambers would allow you to do Skype interviews, at least for 1st rounds. It does of course depend on which country/continent you'll be in, but I'm assuming that it's within Europe/flyable distance. That way, you won't need to incur the costs for 1st rounds, and any 2nd rounds (or other final rounds, depending on the no of rounds at those sets) would likely be worth the trip as that would mean you have a genuinely good shot at getting pupillage there. The exception to this for me would be if you apply to any of the MC sets and get an interview which they won't allow you to do via skype.

I do know exactly how you feel though because I myself may end up being in a similar position during the Gateway process, so have been thinking about this a lot. Another pointer is that if you do decide to fly back for any interviews, try to fit in as many as possible whilst you're back so you don't have to make the trip more than once. This might also influence which sets you end up applying to.
On another note, New Square second rounds are out.

Congrats!
Original post by LegalRose
I just wanted to say, having been offered Pupillage today, that this thread has been a lifesaver! Thank you to everyone who has contributed, supported and encouragd me and others on here. I want to wish everyone the very best of luck with future applications and interviews. Don't let this daunting process get to you, you will get Pupillage, and you will persevere!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! Super congrats! Where have you accepted?
Dammit, did not get 5sb second round. Really need to learn how to interview.
awww congratulations! You must be so elated right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Dammit, did not get 5sb second round. Really need to learn how to interview.

Do not worry, the competition is so stiff anything could have caused it. I find (this is my own personal view) is that is is more difficult to get a first interview from a paper application to a second interview, so you are clearly doing something right

That said, if there was something you personally feel you fall down on, write it down, and keep it in mind for the next interview. I have a little journal of 'things I have learnt' that I fill in after every interview. It is mainly to address obvious issues that can slip out of my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!!
Original post by pupillagegal
Yeah I had to fly so it was just getting too expensive and taking a whole day off work, hotel costs etc. Was funny on a few interviews with delayed internet though!

Yay thanks, I heard today, unbelievably happy/relieved!

Best of luck to you :smile:

Cheers, now make sure you don't do anything work related for a few days, just have fun!

If you are currently employed, well tough, I demand you celebrate

This is a success story I can imagine seeing on legal cheek, well done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending