The Student Room Group

Will you be able to resit A-levels in 2017 if you did your A2s in 2015?

I finished my A levels last year but got disappointing grades (BDD). Would I be able to resit some of my exams in 2017 which would be the last resit opportunity on the old spec, or is it only open for people who did their A2s in 2016?

I am working full-time this year and I feel it would be a bit late to start revising for 2016 resits now.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mtig
I finished my A levels last year but got disappointing grades (BDD). Would I be able to resit some of my exams in 2017 which would be the last resit opportunity on the old spec, or is it only open for people who did their A2s in 2016?

I am working full-time this year and I feel it would be a bit late to start revising for 2016 resits now.

Thanks.

Ofqal are just completing consultations on the retake policy for reformed A levels.
To read their proposals see here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485643/final-entries-to-legacy-gcses-as-and-a-levels-consultation.pdf

On page 11 they appear to say as long as you have certified an A level in summer 2016 or before you would be eligible for taking resits in 2017. One caution, it's possible this may not be how its worded when the final rules are agreed.
Original post by gdunne42
Ofqal are just completing consultations on the retake policy for reformed A levels.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485643/final-entries-to-legacy-gcses-as-and-a-levels-consultation.pdf

On page 11 they appear to say as long as you have certified an A level in summer 2016 or before you would be eligible for taking resits in 2017. One caution, it's possible this may not be how its worded when the final rules are agreed.

Yes and also the way AS and A Level exams are run now has changed. They now want you to take the AS and A Level at the end of Year 13 which is annoying because you're going to have to rely on your memory :frown: But other than that you're able to resit the exams :smile:)
Original post by LemonadeAspire
Yes and also the way AS and A Level exams are run now has changed. They now want you to take the AS and A Level at the end of Year 13 which is annoying because you're going to have to rely on your memory :frown: But other than that you're able to resit the exams :smile:)

The question is about retaking exams from A levels the person has already taken. Not taking the reformed A levels.
Reply 4

OK thank you. Hopefully they won't change it. Do you have any idea roughly when the proposals will be finalised?
Original post by mtig
OK thank you. Hopefully they won't change it. Do you have any idea roughly when the proposals will be finalised?

Don't know any more than what is on the web site though I imagine a decision will be made soon.

keep in mind that few people will be needing these retakes so finding a centre may be tough

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
The question is about retaking exams from A levels the person has already taken. Not taking the reformed A levels.

Yes if they retake it, it whole scheme will too as they will set it at the same time as all the rest of the exams? Unless the person has already assigned a time to take the exam then thats a whole different topic. I understand where you're coming from.
What's the update? Apparently my teacher said today we can't but idk I just heard from a friend :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't know any more than what is on the web site though I imagine a decision will be made soon.

keep in mind that few people will be needing these retakes so finding a centre may be tough

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the update? Apparently my teacher said today we can't but idk I just heard from a friend :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OkashiAddict

Posted from TSR Mobile

The final decision has not yet been announced.
Examiners I have spoken to seem to think that a resit exam will be available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The final decision has not yet been announced.
Examiners I have spoken to seem to think that a resit exam will be available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay! Update this thread if you find out more info. Guess that teacher was either confused or talking crap to scare us..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any updates
Reply 13

Does this mean if I'm taking my A2's this year, June 2016, I will be able to re-take them in June 2017 despite the whole thing about the new course having AS+A2 taken together. Also would you happen to know if this was the very last year for AS re-takes on the old syllabuses? Thanks.
Original post by samm98
Does this mean if I'm taking my A2's this year, June 2016, I will be able to re-take them in June 2017 despite the whole thing about the new course having AS+A2 taken together. Also would you happen to know if this was the very last year for AS re-takes on the old syllabuses? Thanks.

The examiners are setting resit papers so you would be able to retake AS or A2 exams from any specification next year IF you can find a centre accepting private candidates for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The examiners are setting resit papers so you would be able to retake AS or A2 exams from any specification next year IF you can find a centre accepting private candidates for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will they be able to choose resits from the old specification (Ours)? I'm asking because my friend is thinking of resitting her maths, and doesn't want to have to learn the new AS +A2 combined new spec.
Original post by Closed_Borders
Will they be able to choose resits from the old specification (Ours)? I'm asking because my friend is thinking of resitting her maths, and doesn't want to have to learn the new AS +A2 combined new spec.

1. Yes. To repeat, the examiners are setting AS and A2 resit papers for all "legacy" aka old specification subjects in summer 2017. As other subjects switch to the new linear A levels they will do the same for them.

2. Maths has not changed and doesn't change until courses that start in September 2017 with final entries for the current specification in summer 2018 and a resit opportunity planned for this specification in summer 2019.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/timings-for-the-withdrawal-of-legacy-gcses-as-and-a-levels
(edited 7 years ago)
1. Yes. To repeat, the examiners are setting AS and A2 resit papers for all "legacy" aka old specification subjects in summer 2017. As other subjects switch to the new linear A levels they will do the same for them.

2. Maths has not changed and doesn't change until courses that start in September 2017 with final entries for the current specification in summer 2018 and a resit opportunity planned for this specification in summer 2019.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Oh, is that so? Her maths teacher told her the spec would be changing, but he wasn't sure, I'll make sure to let her know that.
Original post by Closed_Borders
Thanks, I appreciate that. Oh, is that so? Her maths teacher told her the spec would be changing, but he wasn't sure, I'll make sure to let her know that.

Soon it will be finalized since now on aqa/edex and ocr they put on their homepage that their will be a resit available in 2017 summer.U can resit any control assessment/coursework/unit AS or A2 in summer 2017 last time.

Just a side note:Before they were thinking to change the summer 2017 and make the last resits in november or january time in 2016/2017.This was so that the old spec and the new spec don't collide together in june.Many papers in May/June+their is a possibility to receive wrong paper.However they changed it and they said definitely 2017 their will be resits as long as u have taken that assessment/exam before or on 2016 summer.U cannot do a unit if u haven't done it before.

Hope this helps everybody who checks this thread out since many people would look in to resitting it after june 30(exams finish)
Original post by CrazyFoxes
Soon it will be finalized since now on aqa/edex and ocr they put on their homepage that their will be a resit available in 2017 summer.U can resit any control assessment/coursework/unit AS or A2 in summer 2017 last time.

Just a side note:Before they were thinking to change the summer 2017 and make the last resits in november or january time in 2016/2017.This was so that the old spec and the new spec don't collide together in june.Many papers in May/June+their is a possibility to receive wrong paper.However they changed it and they said definitely 2017 their will be resits as long as u have taken that assessment/exam before or on 2016 summer.U cannot do a unit if u haven't done it before.

Hope this helps everybody who checks this thread out since many people would look in to resitting it after june 30(exams finish)

Thank you soo much for clearing this up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest