The Student Room Group

SuitSupply Waistcoat sizing?

The sizing on their website is really off. I'm a 38" chest, and according to their size advisor for this item size 42 fits a 35" chest. I ordered size 42 anyway.

I tried it on and lo and behold its way bigger than 35", or even my 38" chest! Even though its too big for me a size 42 is listed as 35" chest? I contacted the web online chat, and he wasn't much help.

Any ideas on what size to go for? They have sizes smaller than 42, but the size advisor doesn't show approximate sizes for them. And even if they did, I'm sure the smaller sizes would illustrate a a chest size smaller than 35", which suggests to me that it is really inaccurate.

TLDR; I am 38" chest. Ordered a waistcoat size 42, which is supposed to be size 35" chest. Size 42" was too big for me, even though it was supposed to be 35" and I'm 38

Edit: I know SS do free returns but I can't take the financial hit to order several items in one go unfortunately
Hmm, if you bought a 38 and 40 could you return them after trying them out?
Reply 2
Original post by Lucarious30
Hmm, if you bought a 38 and 40 could you return them after trying them out?

Well it says size 38 will be 31.8" Chest and 40 is 33.4" Chest, which, in theory shouldn't fit me as I'm 38" chest. Then again saying that 42 was supposedly 35" chest which was massive for me.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/waistcoats/red-waistcoat/W150208.html?vpid=W15020803
Original post by itsmyname
Well it says size 38 will be 31.8" Chest and 40 is 33.4" Chest, which, in theory shouldn't fit me as I'm 38" chest. Then again saying that 42 was supposedly 35" chest which was massive for me.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/waistcoats/red-waistcoat/W150208.html?vpid=W15020803

Maybe check over their returns and refunds policy to see if they would allow it

If so - I'd say order more than one and see which one is more appropriate

If not - not sure if you would be willing to buy more and then sell them off on eBay or something?
Reply 4
Original post by Lucarious30
Maybe check over their returns and refunds policy to see if they would allow it

If so - I'd say order more than one and see which one is more appropriate

If not - not sure if you would be willing to buy more and then sell them off on eBay or something?

They allow free returns which should be no problem, however obviously I have to take the initial financial hit which I can't afford.

What I don't get is how farfetched their sizing is. It doesn't make any sense
They allow free returns which should be no problem, however obviously I have to take the initial financial hit which I can't afford.

Yeah sounds like a pain! I usually prefer going to eBay or Amazon as you know they'll cover you if anything goes wrong.

I suppose it's a pain aswell to keep returning it for a smaller size, but depends how much you want it haha
Reply 6

I'm having the same problem, the size advisor table is no help at all (neither was their customer services for that matter). I'm usually a 40" chest and a 34" waist, which I think is fairly average. But their advisor says I should get a size 34 suit, which gives a chest size of 39.5 and a 30" trouser waist (what does the 34 refer to??).

I had thought that maybe the table shows actual item dimensions, which isn't necessarily the same as a size as we would see it on the rail. But this usually goes the other way (vanity sizing).

As a comparison, I bought a Hugo Boss suit recently, EU size 50 which gives a 40" jacket and 34.5" waist.

I guess the only thing to do is order and try on, then send back, order again, then send back. What a pain.
Reply 7
Original post by cluey
I'm having the same problem, the size advisor table is no help at all (neither was their customer services for that matter). I'm usually a 40" chest and a 34" waist, which I think is fairly average. But their advisor says I should get a size 34 suit, which gives a chest size of 39.5 and a 30" trouser waist (what does the 34 refer to??).

I had thought that maybe the table shows actual item dimensions, which isn't necessarily the same as a size as we would see it on the rail. But this usually goes the other way (vanity sizing).

As a comparison, I bought a Hugo Boss suit recently, EU size 50 which gives a 40" jacket and 34.5" waist.

I guess the only thing to do is order and try on, then send back, order again, then send back. What a pain.

I'm not sure if this would be of much help but I spoke to ANOTHER CS guy and he told me the Size Advisor for the waistcoats is ****ed up. Its in European sizes instead of UK sizes. So where it says Size 42 = 35" chest, it should actually be size 32 = 35" chest. Size 44 is actually 34, so 10 lower.

No wonder the size 42 which according to the size advisor is for a 35" chest was too big for me when I have a 38" chest

Quick Reply