The Student Room Group

Is this a good A Level combination? Maths, Further Maths, Music, Biology

Im at the time when I should be deciding my A Levels and so far I have.struggled to narrow them down but I finally have my 4 choices. Are they a good combination?
Maths, Further Maths, Music, Biology?
Loving that maths and music combo.
Reply 2
maybe you should do either chemistry or physics rather than biology, as it fits perfectly with maths and further maths. However it does depend what you desire to be in the future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Of you enjoy it then yeah. I did Maths, FM Biology, Geography, Art and language
Original post by AdamChris
Im at the time when I should be deciding my A Levels and so far I have.struggled to narrow them down but I finally have my 4 choices. Are they a good combination?
Maths, Further Maths, Music, Biology?

Choose your A-levels according to what is required to gain admission to study your favoured subject at university. That combination is fine for maths, say, but wouldn't be a good combination for English literature or chemistry.
Reply 5
The mix is fine, but depends entirely on what degree you'd like to do.

I would say Physics / Chemistry and more generally useful than Biology, but all are fine really.
Reply 6
Original post by Good bloke
Choose your A-levels according to what is required to gain admission to study your favoured subject at university. That combination is fine for maths, say, but wouldn't be a good combination for English literature or chemistry.

I want to do Mathematics and Computer Science joint degree at university. The only requirement really ia maths and sometime further or a science. So I chose biology because its my favourite science.
I want to do Mathematics and Computer Science joint degree at university. The only requirement really ia maths and sometime further or a science. So I chose biology because its my favourite science.

That would work well then.
It's a good combo. I did those + Chemistry.
Reply 9
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
It's a good combo. I did those + Chemistry.

I would do chemistry awell if I could, but I can only take 4. Damn you Welsh Bacc

Instead of Biology, Physics would be better but overall it is a good choice of A-levels. Good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by hunihuni
Instead of Biology, Physics would be better but overall it is a good choice of A-levels. Good luck!

I did think that but physics makes me want to drive a pencil through my brain

Absolutely fine then! Maths is really all you need.

Take it from someone who did French and English and someone who's doing Maths, FM and Economics, with several offers to study Maths&CS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I did think that but physics makes me want to drive a pencil through my brain

Yup, I understand. Anyways, the maths are enough - also, if you want to go to a uni that e.g wants 3 A's, then it is more likely to be achieved with a subject that you enjoy, because we learn best at what we enjoy, which is biology in your case!
Reply 14
I would do chemistry awell if I could, but I can only take 4. Damn you Welsh Bacc

I understand how you feel. I'm trying to pick my A-Levels now. I have them all sorted but I have to choose which one not to do because Welsh Bacc would take its place.
Reply 15
Original post by cait.w
I understand how you feel. I'm trying to pick my A-Levels now. I have them all sorted but I have to choose which one not to do because Welsh Bacc would take its place.

It's really difficult right?!? Im still not sure if I should do Chemistry instead of Music
Reply 16
Posted from TSR Mobile

This is probably a bit late, but I think you should go with which one you enjoy more because after all you learn better if you enjoy it. I think they would all fit together nicely whatever you picked.
Yes, however I would probably recommend physics just because you are clearly very capable of doing maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest