The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pupillagegal
Preach! It's taken me fourteen interviews to get a pupillage, keep going everyone!

Well done!

Given you passed the 13 mark it was only lucky numbers from there!! (and I wouldn't even consider 14 a huge number for interviews as well, I'm sure for jobs it's in the dozens)
Original post by TempestLaw
Do not worry, the competition is so stiff anything could have caused it. I find (this is my own personal view) is that is is more difficult to get a first interview from a paper application to a second interview, so you are clearly doing something right

That said, if there was something you personally feel you fall down on, write it down, and keep it in mind for the next interview. I have a little journal of 'things I have learnt' that I fill in after every interview. It is mainly to address obvious issues that can slip out of my mind

Thanks for this :smile:

Yeah I have some ideas of some areas in which I've been going wrong, and I've asked for feedback, so hopefully that will help.
Cheers, now make sure you don't do anything work related for a few days, just have fun!

If you are currently employed, well tough, I demand you celebrate

Haha I actually resigned quite recently so it's all worked out exceptionally well! I shall be celebrating lots for the next few days :smile: I'll raise a drink to you!
Well done!

Given you passed the 13 mark it was only lucky numbers from there!! (and I wouldn't even consider 14 a huge number for interviews as well, I'm sure for jobs it's in the dozens)

Thanks :smile: yeah I thought it was just going to be luck but this time I actually felt more prepared and for the first time felt I actually did a really good job! It's just about believing in yourself despite the numerous rejections!
Original post by pupillagegal
Haha I actually resigned quite recently so it's all worked out exceptionally well! I shall be celebrating lots for the next few days :smile: I'll raise a drink to you!

Oh that worked out great!

I'm a big lad so make sure it is a keg!
Original post by shestheone
If you've been taking advantage of the increasing number of sets advertising out of the gateway then you should have an Inclination as to how successful you'll be this season. I.e. If you're already getting interviews then of course you should have your finger in as many pies as possible and not overlook the gateway. If you are yet to be successful In gaining any interviews (and I'm assuming it's your first year) then firstly, don't panic, you've got lots more opportunities and secondly chances are you'll have better luck next year anyway when you'll have more to put on your cv etc (such as the internship)

This will be my second year applying and I managed to get 5 interviews from the Gateway last year compared to a single non-Gateway this year - hence my trepidation about not doing Gateway this year as it seems to be more fruitful!
Reply 506
The process is nuts. I've been reserved twice in the past and have had 14 interviews since June.
Original post by Tiny92
The process is nuts. I've been reserved twice in the past and have had 14 interviews since June.

Hold on in there, you're doing a sterling job.

What do u have pending now?
Original post by Tiny92

I think "unlucky" is the word there.
Reply 509
Original post by Radebe91
I think "unlucky" is the word there.

I would agree. Was offered Pupillage but due to funding it was retracted and on the other hand reserved and worked with chambers this week.

Equally I do work in a very well off firm which means the hunt is fun. Was awarded a bursary last week by my inn also and my call fee due to merit and continued application.

So a lot of pros and cons to work off. 85% success rate in applying since June(for interview). But hey! Nature of the game. Have seen some real tossers get Pupillage and in practice so I am confident. Confidence being a dividend of sweat that is. Bloody disheartening this.
Original post by Tiny92
I would agree. Was offered Pupillage but due to funding it was retracted and on the other hand reserved and worked with chambers this week.

Equally I do work in a very well off firm which means the hunt is fun. Was awarded a bursary last week by my inn also and my call fee due to merit and continued application.

So a lot of pros and cons to work off. 85% success rate in applying since June(for interview). But hey! Nature of the game. Have seen some real tossers get Pupillage and in practice so I am confident. Confidence being a dividend of sweat that is. Bloody disheartening this.

There are bursaries out there for post call?!

Please tell us poor applicants more.
Reply 511
There are bursaries out there for post call?!

Please tell us poor applicants more.

Unfortunately there isn't. But I was mitigating the point for those who need it. I think it was to do with my scholarship. Seeing as there is only one of them I won't indicate which one.
South Square post first round rejections. Only New Square left for me then on to the summer.
Original post by Radebe91
South Square post first round rejections. Only New Square left for me then on to the summer.

Commiserations and good luck, respectively

Also, 4 Pump Court rejections are going to be arriving by post tomorrow (called to check on references, got told the news). If they're going to request refs in advance, why did they sift applications earlier than the deadline for them?! Apparently the letters got sent out yesterday and today, so the decision was obviously made earlier than it should have been... :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yay! Super congrats! Where have you accepted?

Thank you! I have accepted at Reeds in Oxford. Best of luck with upcoming applications/interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pupillageseeker1
awww congratulations! You must be so elated right now!

Thank you! I am over the moon. It's such a relief. Best of luck with upcoming applications/interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations!!

Thank you!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 517
Any word from Northampton?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No- I'm starting to think it's a no? But no one seems to have heard back?

Original post by Leigh68
Any word from Northampton?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rejection from 4 Pump Court received. No surprise considering the complete formatting disaster I had with their application form...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending