The Student Room Group

Which A-levels for Nursing?

I can take 4 things at A-level and receive four A-levels from them. I would like to go into the career of nursing. I have chosen Psychology, Health and Social Care, Biology and Sociology, however I have recently found out that Health and Social Care is a diploma which gives you 2 A-Levels, therefore I would have to drop one of the others. Which one should I drop?
Original post by cait.w
I can take 4 things at A-level and receive four A-levels from them. I would like to go into the career of nursing. I have chosen Psychology, Health and Social Care, Biology and Sociology, however I have recently found out that Health and Social Care is a diploma which gives you 2 A-Levels, therefore I would have to drop one of the others. Which one should I drop?

Whichever you feel you would enjoy the least, all of them are good subjects to have for nursing, maybe decide between dropping psychology or sociology if you're stuck
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Whichever you feel you would enjoy the least, all of them are good subjects to have for nursing, maybe decide between dropping psychology or sociology if you're stuck

Thank you. There was also another option to just take Health and Social Care as one A-Level, but this would mean I wouldn't get the full diploma, but I could still do all four subjects. What do you think I should do?
Original post by cait.w
Thank you. There was also another option to just take Health and Social Care as one A-Level, but this would mean I wouldn't get the full diploma, but I could still do all four subjects. What do you think I should do?

I think either option would be good for nursing, maybe have a think about whether you prefer coursework or exams? I d think doing the diploma would mean you would have less exams so depending on how you work might be easier to get higher grades.
Sociology.

Nursing is about the individual.

Health and social care is a BTEC but I am surprised to hear it is worth 2 A Levels.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
I think either option would be good for nursing, maybe have a think about whether you prefer coursework or exams? I d think doing the diploma would mean you would have less exams so depending on how you work might be easier to get higher grades.

I guess, I'll have to think about what I prefer then. Thank you for your help.
Reply 6
Original post by Protagoras
Sociology.

Nursing is about the individual.

Health and social care is a BTEC but I am surprised to hear it is worth 2 A Levels.

Thank you. I think I would have preferred you to say Psychology, but if sociology is what is going to help me get into University, that's what I'll do.

My school told me that it would be worth 2 A-Levels but there is an option to do just half the course (or something along those lines) to get 1 A-Level.
Original post by cait.w
Thank you. I think I would have preferred you to say Psychology, but if sociology is what is going to help me get into University, that's what I'll do.

My school told me that it would be worth 2 A-Levels but there is an option to do just half the course (or something along those lines) to get 1 A-Level.

You asked, which subject should I drop?

I replied sociology, you drop sociology.

Psychology is essential for nursing just as biology is.
Reply 8
Original post by Protagoras
You asked, which subject should I drop?

I replied sociology, you drop sociology.

Psychology is essential for nursing just as biology is.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said. That's actually quite reassuring because I wanted to do Psychology anyway.
Reply 9
I'm not really hot on qualifications etc (I really should be!) but I only did an access to nursing diploma when I wanted to do nursing and I got in with that. I do already have a degree but that's not the reason I got in. I'm not sure how many a-levels the access diploma is :/ but that's all that's needed where I'm from. Also maths, English and science GCSE of course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by wbnurse
I'm not really hot on qualifications etc (I really should be!) but I only did an access to nursing diploma when I wanted to do nursing and I got in with that. I do already have a degree but that's not the reason I got in. I'm not sure how many a-levels the access diploma is :/ but that's all that's needed where I'm from. Also maths, English and science GCSE of course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, this does help a lot. The dead line is tomorrow so I think I am just going to pick Psychology as my option because I think I will enjoy it more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending