The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mhamill864
Got an offer yesterday for MMath (European Studies)!! A*A (Maths and F. Maths any order) A (Chemistry) B (French). I can't quite work out if A*AA would be acceptable if one of the As was in French. Now I need to see if I can defer for a year cos I've decided to take a gap year (a simple life would be boring, eh?). Does anyone know how likely they are to allow me to do that because I really want to do this course!?

If you're not allowed feel free to decline the offer and ask them to let me have it and just reapply next year :wink: Still waiting sad times haha but super congrats!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Swifty139
If you're not allowed feel free to decline the offer and ask them to let me have it and just reapply next year :wink: Still waiting sad times haha but super congrats!

What is UCAS/university policy on reapplying to the same course the next year?
Original post by Swifty139

And thanks, hope you hear soon!!
Reply 1723
Got an offer yesterday for MMath (European Studies)!! A*A (Maths and F. Maths any order) A (Chemistry) B (French). I can't quite work out if A*AA would be acceptable if one of the As was in French. Now I need to see if I can defer for a year cos I've decided to take a gap year (a simple life would be boring, eh?). Does anyone know how likely they are to allow me to do that because I really want to do this course!?

If you can call them and convince them to defer your entry, and you're indeed adamant about taking a gap year, then go for it. However, if you are going to decline your offer, your application will be subject to competition, and you will be gambling for a place at university. I applied last year and got an offer in December for Economics, and this year I have not heard back still.

However, if you absolutely must take a gap year, and are willing to risk a place at Durham, then you may do as you wish.

Of course if they're willing to defer your entry, then all of this is irrelevant. Best of luck.

I applied for the same course (and some of the same unis) two years in a row and have got offers! It shouldn't matter at all - your application is treated as completely separate and new - obviously that doesn't mean, however, that if you got an offer this year, that you will the next - your own circumstances will be different & you'll be competing with a new set of applicants! Good luck either way :smile:

You can reapply, but just remember that next year there will be a Durham entrance exam for maths - so take that into consideration
Reply 1726
Original post by Mld120
I applied for the same course (and some of the same unis) two years in a row and have got offers! It shouldn't matter at all - your application is treated as completely separate and new - obviously that doesn't mean, however, that if you got an offer this year, that you will the next - your own circumstances will be different & you'll be competing with a new set of applicants! Good luck either way :smile:

Are you resitting any modules by any chance? I missed my offer by 3 marks last year hence I am.
Offer for MPhys A*A*A :smile: Welcomed relief after waiting 5months.
Original post by Ivoryfall
Doing my best, but besides yourself, I've yet to see another person with a foreign language studies offer! I'm going for Chinese - mind if I ask what you were offered? :smile:

My friend has got an offer to read Japanese!
Original post by davies1

Huge grats to them! :biggrin: Must be thrilled!
Original post by AunAb
Are you resitting any modules by any chance? I missed my offer by 3 marks last year hence I am.

Hm, no I'm not - I just decided to take the year out to gain experience etc + to be able to apply with the grades I have and take some of the pressure off! However, if your predicted grades for your resits are good and your PS & reference are strong, and you can also show how the gap year is adding to you as a candidate, then it shouldn't hopefully matter too much - they are more likely to give you a conditional offer rather than an unconditional though. Good luck either way! What course are you applying for?
Reply 1731
Original post by Mld120
Hm, no I'm not - I just decided to take the year out to gain experience etc + to be able to apply with the grades I have and take some of the pressure off! However, if your predicted grades for your resits are good and your PS & reference are strong, and you can also show how the gap year is adding to you as a candidate, then it shouldn't hopefully matter too much - they are more likely to give you a conditional offer rather than an unconditional though. Good luck either way! What course are you applying for?

Thank you for your response. I'm applying for PPE, and I have emailed them beforehand questioning whether equal consideration is given to applicants who have circumstances such as mine. They said it would be absolutely fine, of course subject to competition of other applicants. Oh well, I can only hope!

Good job on your offer and best of luck with all your future endeavours!
I got an offer for Combined Honours in Social Sciences yesterday :smile: Anybody else?
Original post by AunAb
Anyone hear for PPE yet? This thread seems to have no PPE applicants! Applied on the 1st of december.

PPE offer holder here, there's another thread specifically for PPE
Original post by davies1

Congratulation to him!! May I ask when he applied?
Has anyone recieved offers for law? I applied on 17th November but have yet to hear anything from them. :frown:
Reply 1736
Original post by yvchan
Has anyone recieved offers for law? I applied on 17th November but have yet to hear anything from them. :frown:

Law tends to take a rather long time period, especially at Durham, and at LNAT universities in general.

A friend of mine applied on the 10th of October last year and got an offer on the 27th of Feb.

The time period during which most offers are given out by Durham occurs from mid Feb to the beginning of March. So stay patient and best of luck!
Original post by AunAb
Law tends to take a rather long time period, especially at Durham, and at LNAT universities in general.

A friend of mine applied on the 10th of October last year and got an offer on the 27th of Feb.

The time period during which most offers are given out by Durham occurs from mid Feb to the beginning of March. So stay patient and best of luck!

Thanks! Trying to remain optimistic and I hope for an offer to come soon! :redface:
Original post by ikoma_chen
Congratulation to him!! May I ask when he applied?

She applied in October and got an offer in December
Original post by davies1
She applied in October and got an offer in December

Hi, I too applied then for Japanese and havent heard.
May I ask has she studies Japanese at gcse or A level?
What was her offer.
I am so jealous and really wish her well!

Quick Reply

Latest