The Student Room Group

Should students HAVE to pay back university loans?

I have heard a few times that they are planning on changing the current system. Currently if you are not earning above £21,000 you do not have to pay back a single penny and after a certain amount of years the debt is wiped and the tax payer is then paying for your studies.

Should the system be changed that EVERYONE regardless of income has to pay back the loan. I feel this current system has allowed a chunk of students to simply go to university just for the sake off it and take out large loans and know that when they graduate they will never earn enough to pay it back.

I think this is also allowing "lesser" universities too start degrees such as economics, law etc.. where employment is competitive and difficult too obtain unless you are from top universities and students are falling into the trap thinking they stand a chance but will in reality just end up in retail etc.

I think its not a justified reason that just because your salary is £15,000 you dont have to pay anything as when you undertook that degree you SHOULD have known about graduate employment and salary. It is just causing the government to waste money on people and that money could be used in SO MANY different areas.

Scroll to see replies

Students don't pay back university loans. Employed graduates with a decent salary pay back loans.

Don't expect your loan to be written off if you never earn more than £21k because you will earn more than that. £21k will be minimum wage in 20 years time.
Reply 2
It's a loan. Not a gift.
Original post by TSRFT8
Should the system be changed that EVERYONE regardless of income has to pay back the loan. I feel this current system has allowed a chunk of students to simply go to university just for the sake off it and take out large loans and know that when they graduate they will never earn enough to pay it back.

...Or just lower tuition fees so ordinary people will actually be capable of paying back their loans? It is incredibly sad that so many people think the only value of university is to earn more money.
Original post by TSRFT8
I have heard a few times that they are planning on changing the current system. Currently if you are not earning above £21,000 you do not have to pay back a single penny and after a certain amount of years the debt is wiped and the tax payer is then paying for your studies.

I think this is also allowing "lesser" universities too start degrees such as economics, law etc.. where employment is competitive and difficult too obtain unless you are from top universities and students are falling into the trap thinking they stand a chance but will in reality just end up in retail etc.

I think its not a justified reason that just because your salary is £15,000 you dont have to pay anything as when you undertook that degree you SHOULD have known about graduate employment and salary. It is just causing the government to waste money on people and that money could be used in SO MANY different areas.

No I don't think students should have to pay back their loans if they don't earn well as a result because then their University Education hasn't helped them and they would become very poor trying to pay back loans on low wages.

However, it would make sense to have a system where a University receives money from the Government based on how much money students have paid back having undertaken these courses.This would make the best Universities/courses, those that have large numbers of students earning high wages get the most money from the Government and the opposite for the worst.

This would provide an incentive for Universities to actually provide good and useful courses that will help their students get employment.At the moment Universities get the money for each student so it really doesn't matter whether their courses are good or not with caps on numbers removed and so many students wanting to go to University even if they have a poor reputation they will still be able to get lots of money from naive students.
No they shouldn't. The current system of a threshold is fine as it is.

If you force everyone to pay back their loans regardless of how much they earn after graduating, you'll just put people off from going to university, because it's too much of a risk.
Should students have to pay back the loans?
Of course not. The mugs earning 22k that never went to uni should pay it for them.
Original post by Plagioclase
...Or just lower tuition fees so ordinary people will actually be capable of paying back their loans? It is incredibly sad that so many people think the only value of university is to earn more money.

Here we go again, why else would you go to university fgs! You sound like an arts or humanities student! Your at university to invest in yourself and get a good job, not to play about!
Reply 8
Original post by TSRFT8
Not exactly, right now you are encouraging people to take up any degree and get given up to £30,000 for maintenance and know you will never pay it back. Why should people earning less than £21,000 be exempt but someone earning £22,000 has too pay it back. Communism

Over 21k you start paying back, but only on the income over that threshold. So even if you earn 31k you only repay £900.

You would need an income over approx £45k to end up fully repaying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, it is a loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sephiroth
Don't expect your loan to be written off if you never earn more than £21k because you will earn more than that.

Perhaps the most confusing sentence I've ever read. Well done.
Original post by DiddyDec
Yes, it is a loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A loan that was agreed to with certain conditions, namely that repayment is based upon how much you earn and if you haven't earned enough over 30 years to pay it back you don't have to.
Original post by limetang
A loan that was agreed to with certain conditions, namely that repayment is based upon how much you earn and if you haven't earned enough over 30 years to pay it back you don't have to.

You have just reinforced my statement...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalek1099

However, it would make sense to have a system where a University receives money from the Government based on how much money students have paid back having undertaken these courses.This would make the best Universities/courses, those that have large numbers of students earning high wages get the most money from the Government and the opposite for the worst.

This would provide an incentive for Universities to actually provide good and useful courses that will help their students get employment

That's a really interesting idea, though how would it correct for courses that are important but where people aren't likely to earn good money? (art history, for example. Courses where people go to work in museums and such like, they don't earn a lot of money but it is important)
Original post by DiddyDec
You have just reinforced my statement...

You responded to the OP, who said that student loans should have to be paid back come what may, by saying "Yes, it is a loan" (implying that because it's a loan, it should therefore have to be paid back in all circumstances).

The other user was simply pointing out the fact it's a loan doesn't mean it must be paid back in all circumstances if it was agreed with terms that allow it to be written off in certain circumstances
Reply 15
I come from a country where the most expensive private university costs you around £7,000 a year, and the most expensive public university costs around £1,200 a year. The solely fact that students in the UK have to pay £9,000 a year is ridiculous...
Original post by BlackSweetness
Here we go again, why else would you go to university fgs! You sound like an arts or humanities student! Your at university to invest in yourself and get a good job, not to play about!

No, the point of university is to improve your ability to contribute to society. It is an incredibly depressing and narrow-minded point of view to assume that the only way you can contribute to society is through economic means.
Original post by Plagioclase
No, the point of university is to improve your ability to contribute to society. It is an incredibly depressing and narrow-minded point of view to assume that the only way you can contribute to society is through economic means.

Quality post, it is depressing.

I like how he assumed you're an arts or humanities student when you're more intelligent academically than he could ever hope to be :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by GoldenFang
You responded to the OP, who said that student loans should have to be paid back come what may, by saying "Yes, it is a loan" (implying that because it's a loan, it should therefore have to be paid back in all circumstances).

The other user was simply pointing out the fact it's a loan doesn't mean it must be paid back in all circumstances if it was agreed with terms that allow it to be written off in certain circumstances

I ignored the OP and answered the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by somemightsay888
Quality post, it is depressing.

I like how he assumed you're an arts or humanities student when you're more intelligent academically than he could ever hope to be :rofl: :rofl:

Okay mate, climb out of his arse!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending