The Student Room Group

Course choice ??

Apparently having 3 highers and 2 advanced highers gets more UCAS points than 3 advanced highers and 1 higher? ( A higher in a subject is cancelled out by an advanced higher in the same subject if that makes sense? )
So which is better? I don't know which would reflect best on a personal statement? :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by punkroses
Apparently having 3 highers and 2 advanced highers gets more UCAS points than 3 advanced highers and 1 higher? ( A higher in a subject is cancelled out by an advanced higher in the same subject if that makes sense? )
So which is better? I don't know which would reflect best on a personal statement? :h:

3 advanced highers and a higher without a doubt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on the subjects tbh, unless your course requires it, I wouldn't recommend doing an advanced higher in a subject you already have a good mark for in higher, overall I'd say you'd be better having a wide range of subjects instead :smile:

Hi there!

As has already been said, it will depend. If you have a clear idea of what course you want to take at university then taking advanced highers can really help boost your knowledge in that area and can make your first year a lot simpler. If you are not entirely set on a course, taking more highers can give you a broader range and options to go into.

Remember that most universities will give offers purely based on highers, if an entry requirement is AABB at higher, getting ABBB with one advanced higher may not get you an unconditional. This is a crude example, and I stress again that it will depend on what you want to go into.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 4
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hi there!

As has already been said, it will depend. If you have a clear idea of what course you want to take at university then taking advanced highers can really help boost your knowledge in that area and can make your first year a lot simpler. If you are not entirely set on a course, taking more highers can give you a broader range and options to go into.

Remember that most universities will give offers purely based on highers, if an entry requirement is AABB at higher, getting ABBB with one advanced higher may not get you an unconditional. This is a crude example, and I stress again that it will depend on what you want to go into.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Haha thank you for your advice. I don't think i will be doing engineering if that helps. Can't do science well at all. :smile: I'm more thinking politics right now and yes I realise that they offer based on highers mostly. :smile: I'm thinking I might do two advanced highers and 2 highers because I am good at what I'm good at and I think crash highers might not be best in my final year of school? :h: Also i'm thinking of applying to Glasgow uni next year!
Reply 5
Original post by JP298
3 advanced highers and a higher without a doubt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why though? I think it would be far too much work to be honest. :colonhash: I'll probably do 2 advanced highers and 2 highers. If I was applying to an English course with even straight A's on 3 adv highers and 1 higher, i would still be in a worse position because most English students would have possibly over 100 more UCAS points than me . I don't think it would help?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Blondie987
It depends on the subjects tbh, unless your course requires it, I wouldn't recommend doing an advanced higher in a subject you already have a good mark for in higher, overall I'd say you'd be better having a wide range of subjects instead :smile:

Thank you. Good point, I never thought about that. I got good grades in prelims but I don't think I could get as good grades in exams next year if I took more highers because a lot of them would be crash highers and I'm confident it would be average grades. I think I'd rather study classes I excel in to advanced higher than do classes I'm average in to higher? :colonhash: Maybe I'm wrong though, i am so unsure.
Thank you. Good point, I never thought about that. I got good grades in prelims but I don't think I could get as good grades in exams next year if I took more highers because a lot of them would be crash highers and I'm confident it would be average grades. I think I'd rather study classes I excel in to advanced higher than do classes I'm average in to higher? :colonhash: Maybe I'm wrong though, i am so unsure.

well, if I remember correctly you get 2 weeks before summer (in my school anyway) where you basically start your courses for the next year so you can always go to the class you think you want to do, get to know the syllabus and change if you don't feel it's right for you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Blondie987
well, if I remember correctly you get 2 weeks before summer (in my school anyway) where you basically start your courses for the next year so you can always go to the class you think you want to do, get to know the syllabus and change if you don't feel it's right for you :smile:

True, I think I would probably contact the universities too after getting my exam results. :smile: See what they think is best too. I will go with my 2 advanced highers and 2 highers for now and see what my actual results are for the proper exams and then decide.
Reply 9
Why though? I think it would be far too much work to be honest. :colonhash: I'll probably do 2 advanced highers and 2 highers. If I was applying to an English course with even straight A's on 3 adv highers and 1 higher, i would still be in a worse position because most English students would have possibly over 100 more UCAS points than me . I don't think it would help?

Peronally I think UCAS point means f*ck all (Not being aggressive, that's the only way I can put my point across) . Yes 2 Advanced Highers and 2 highers would be absolutely fine to get into uni and of course grades and subject choice are not the only things that a uni looks at. But from a pure standalone perspective from which you asked the original question. Which is better (two choices inserted here) it would definitely be advanced highers. They are another step up in difficulty and workload and in all honesty from the subjects I've taken this year I like to compare one advanced higher to the work and difficulty of two separate highers. I'm only doing 2 adv highers and a crash higher, so the choice is yours, just make sure you enjoy it! Hope that helps 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by JP298
Peronally I think UCAS point means f*ck all (Not being aggressive, that's the only way I can put my point across) . Yes 2 Advanced Highers and 2 highers would be absolutely fine to get into uni and of course grades and subject choice are not the only things that a uni looks at. But from a pure standalone perspective from which you asked the original question. Which is better (two choices inserted here) it would definitely be advanced highers. They are another step up in difficulty and workload and in all honesty from the subjects I've taken this year I like to compare one advanced higher to the work and difficulty of two separate highers. I'm only doing 2 adv highers and a crash higher, so the choice is yours, just make sure you enjoy it! Hope that helps 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose you're right, I shouldn't be so bothered about UCAS points. 😌 I will probably choose two and two for now and ask the universities about it. I think it all depends on how I actually do in the exams TBH. :smile: And yes it does help, thank you. I really hate course choice haha.
Reply 11
Original post by JP298

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, I don't even think scottish unis even care about ucas points. I also go with 3 Adv 1 higher unless you REALLY need that extra 2 highers for your course of choice. Otherwise 3 good Adv higher's is probably better for unis/future employers.
What is the whole purpose of ucas points anyway? I don't know much about it. Why don't they just look at your qualifications instead of looking also at points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alana_p
What is the whole purpose of ucas points anyway? I don't know much about it. Why don't they just look at your qualifications instead of looking also at points.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am also confused about this
Original post by alana_p

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Universities will primarily look at your qualifications, but UCAS points does have its uses. Also, not every university will use UCAS points in the same way, as with many things, admissions for each university will change from course to course, university to university.

However, UCAS points are a great way of normalizing grades so that different levels of qualifications can be compared. For example, Scottish Highers and English A-Levels are not equivalent, which is reflected in the UCAS points awarded. You can also get UCAS points for placement work, doing the International Baccalaureate amongst others. Some things will not necessarily give you a grade but can give you points.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hey,

Universities will primarily look at your qualifications, but UCAS points does have its uses. Also, not every university will use UCAS points in the same way, as with many things, admissions for each university will change from course to course, university to university.

However, UCAS points are a great way of normalizing grades so that different levels of qualifications can be compared. For example, Scottish Highers and English A-Levels are not equivalent, which is reflected in the UCAS points awarded. You can also get UCAS points for placement work, doing the International Baccalaureate amongst others. Some things will not necessarily give you a grade but can give you points.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Thank you! That's really helped clear things up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending