The Student Room Group

How common is it for students to record lectures?

I have long-term depression and social anxiety, as well as a possible learning disability of some sort (I don't know what exactly, but I have traits of autism, dyscalculia, and ADD... I wouldn't say autism is a learning disability but I know it can affect learning), and I feel like it would be really beneficial for me to record lectures. I take notes and try to pay as much attention as I can, but I still don't feel like I get as much out of lectures as I could. My memory is pretty bad, and I feel like I don't fully process what is said in lectures because they're social situations, so I'm always at least low-key anxious during them?

I'm wondering whether it would be really weird for me to record lectures so I can listen to them again at home? Do students who don't have learning disabilities or anything do this? Does anyone on TSR do this? :colondollar:
Original post by redinthegrey
I have long-term depression and social anxiety, as well as a possible learning disability of some sort (I don't know what exactly, but I have traits of autism, dyscalculia, and ADD... I wouldn't say autism is a learning disability but I know it can affect learning), and I feel like it would be really beneficial for me to record lectures. I take notes and try to pay as much attention as I can, but I still don't feel like I get as much out of lectures as I could. My memory is pretty bad, and I feel like I don't fully process what is said in lectures because they're social situations, so I'm always at least low-key anxious during them?

I'm wondering whether it would be really weird for me to record lectures so I can listen to them again at home? Do students who don't have learning disabilities or anything do this? Does anyone on TSR do this? :colondollar:

Nothing wrong with it, just say to the lecturer before hand to ask if you can, I remember people in my lectures doing this :smile:
Yes, there is a person in my lectures who does that - but at the start of every term he checks with the new lecturers to make sure that they are okay with it.
It's not weird at all, but you have to ask your lecturer. I recorded most of my lectures in my first year, although in this last year, I haven't recorded any, as they have generally moved to a lecture-seminar format. If you need to, just email your professors, explaining the situation, but best to do it up front if you can. I'd also reccommend to get tested by your university. it could make the difference in exams, if you have them...

I ve never come across anyone without a learning difficulty do it. I have dyslexia/dyspraxia so record some of my lectures with a dictaphone and I ve never felt weird doing it. Make sure you get the lecturers permission though :smile: I would recommend applying for dsa as you ll get it for anxiety and depression ( they may consider giving you a dictaphone then) and if you suspect you might have a learning difficulty, uni is a good time to look at getting tested if you did want to know :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
I ve never come across anyone without a learning difficulty do it. I have dyslexia/dyspraxia so record some of my lectures with a dictaphone and I ve never felt weird doing it. Make sure you get the lecturers permission though :smile: I would recommend applying for dsa as you ll get it for anxiety and depression ( they may consider giving you a dictaphone then) and if you suspect you might have a learning difficulty, uni is a good time to look at getting tested if you did want to know :smile:

Yeah I will apply for DSA. Thanks. :smile: I forgot to mention dyspraxia haha, I've wondered whether I have dyspraxia... I was horrible at PE and Games at school and apparently the way I move my arms when I use a treadmill or bounce on a treadmill is weird. I tend to avoid practical tasks lmao and I live with my mum atm, but I spent some time living on my own abroad and I had issues with like... being unable to unlock my own place, being unable to find it, etc. :angry:
Yeah I will apply for DSA. Thanks. :smile: I forgot to mention dyspraxia haha, I've wondered whether I have dyspraxia... I was horrible at PE and Games at school and apparently the way I move my arms when I use a treadmill or bounce on a treadmill is weird. I tend to avoid practical tasks lmao and I live with my mum atm, but I spent some time living on my own abroad and I had issues with like... being unable to unlock my own place, being unable to find it, etc. :angry:

I d look into it, being bad at pe and a bad sense of direction sounds like it's a possibility.
Some people do it, but quite a few lecturers do it themselves or they'll have comprehensive lecture notes online which makes recording unnecessary.
It's pretty common, I used my phone and recorded most lectures (though I didn't actually ever use them)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending