The Student Room Group

accused of plagiarism what to do?

Hi so recently i just received my email saying i have to attend this meeting next week, and of course i am very scared because i don't know what is going to happen but anyway, the essay i wrote everything is in my own words, i have no intention of plagiarism but i think i didn't do referencing probably, and in some sentences i forgot to put " " around it.. but i did put the link of where did i gather the information from.

So my question is, will i get 0% for such a small mistake or can i defend myself from it?? and if so what is going to happen?

thank you all i really appreciate all the feedback !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michaelwai94
Hi so recently i just received my email saying i have to attend this meeting next week, and of course i am very scared because i don't know what is going to happen but anyway, the essay i wrote everything is in my own words, i have no intention of plagiarism but i think i didn't do referencing probably, and in some sentences i forgot to put " " around it.. but i did put the link of where did i gather the information from.

So my question is, will i get 0% for such a small mistake or can i defend myself from it?? and if so what is going to happen?

Go see your su for advice. Do you have access to the plagiarism report?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Go see your su for advice. Do you have access to the plagiarism report?

hi there, thanks for the reply already and sadly no, i have no access to the report, so i cannot see which part i am plagiarizing, also i cannot see % similarity as well :frown:
hi there, thanks for the reply already and sadly no, i have no access to the report, so i cannot see which part i am plagiarizing, also i cannot see % similarity as well :frown:

Ah I see, if it's was a genuine honest bad referencing mistake at worst you might have to redo the assignment but I d be hopeful it wouldn't be that bad.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Ah I see, if it's was a genuine honest bad referencing mistake at worst you might have to redo the assignment but I d be hopeful it wouldn't be that bad.

yes basically my degree is a creative course we never have to use turnitin, this is our first time, i just hope this is a mistake
yes basically my degree is a creative course we never have to use turnitin, this is our first time, i just hope this is a mistake

I recon it is if you ve had no big referencing problems in the past.
Worst case you might have some over zealous lecturer making big of it to boost there own self-esteem/satisfaction, but if you have at least done referencing then you could just explain you meant to but missed putting the " round it. I would go through the essay before the meeting and looking up if necessary and taking highlighted photocopies of the sentences of pages from the books used but where you missed the ". This will at least show where your reference description relates. Very possibly your lecturer might have already seen that and just wants to point it out to be careful of rather than a full blown plagiarism case which it is not as you have referenced - if they try that don't cave in as they will be bigging it up to be more than what it is. Of course it could be something different entirely what they want to see you for so let them speak first rather then a jump the gun. Don't settle for a 0 or fail though unless of course the essay was no good anyway, which might be why they want to see you also perhaps.
Reply 7
Original post by Gavin2016
Worst case you might have some over zealous lecturer making big of it to boost there own self-esteem/satisfaction, but if you have at least done referencing then you could just explain you meant to but missed putting the " round it. I would go through the essay before the meeting and looking up if necessary and taking highlighted photocopies of the sentences of pages from the books used but where you missed the ". This will at least show where your reference description relates. Very possibly your lecturer might have already seen that and just wants to point it out to be careful of rather than a full blown plagiarism case which it is not as you have referenced - if they try that don't cave in as they will be bigging it up to be more than what it is. Of course it could be something different entirely what they want to see you for so let them speak first rather then a jump the gun. Don't settle for a 0 or fail though unless of course the essay was no good anyway, which might be why they want to see you also perhaps.

hi there thanks for the feedback, yes i am going to let them talk first because i have my own say but everything is written by me, and even the stuff that i forgot to put the " " symbol. the text size are different and it is in bold capital. So i really hope they see i have no intention of plagiarism at all because this is my final year
Reply 8
hi there thanks for the feedback, yes i am going to let them talk first because i have my own say but everything is written by me, and even the stuff that i forgot to put the " " symbol. the text size are different and it is in bold capital. So i really hope they see i have no intention of plagiarism at all because this is my final year

They could cap your module at 40% and get you to redo it.
Reply 9
Original post by chikane
They could cap your module at 40% and get you to redo it.

i know that is the worse scenario but i really hope this won't happen because i really have no intention of even plagiarism, i just hope they would understand
i know that is the worse scenario but i really hope this won't happen because i really have no intention of even plagiarism, i just hope they would understand

I would get advice from someone at the Student Unionand take someone with you to the meeting.
I knew a girl who did a placement and her dissertation was purely on what she learn't however her work contained about 35% which was from the internet even though she referenced it. She was so upset and they gave her 0 for that module as majority of her work was secondary sources and lots of quotes she put in.
It is a shame you can't see the turnitin result we could before submitting but if it was unusually high they would have a meeting with you.
I would make sure my work was less than 10% on the turnitin score. Hope it goes well for you.
(edited 8 years ago)

I feel you man. I have never plagiarised (and never will) with some low similarity results on work thus far (1-5%). But I do worry about this kind of thing, what if you do it by mistake? Even on TurnItIn some of the content I have written has had 'similarity' with a site I have never seen before never mind use. It can be something that easily done, but there is a big difference between plagarism and a mistake. It'll probably be some meeting about how to reference properly in future! Fingers crossed :smile:

Yeah that is best avoided in your final year as marks are worth the most - so depending on what your aiming for? You don't want a bad degree classification of the back of this. Check to see how they calculate it and how it might feature. Try and get lecturer onside if possible after they have spoken to avoid a long drawn out thing. Though if they come down too hard, don't take no sh*t. Go to head of department first as they can have more sway than appeals before the mark becomes official then appeals. Chances are they may have to have a plagiarism board first so meeting with lecturer is just the first step. Possibly lecturer might have not had the time to thoroughly go through it and noticed its more a grammatical error, or might be a just watch out for. Make sure lecturer isn't using it as an excuse to do your degree classification in though as unfortunately how well you get on with lecturers can feature too highly in grade outcomes these days.
Original post by RandomGuy19
I feel you man. I have never plagiarised (and never will) with some low similarity results on work thus far (1-5%). But I do worry about this kind of thing, what if you do it by mistake? Even on TurnItIn some of the content I have written has had 'similarity' with a site I have never seen before never mind use. It can be something that easily done, but there is a big difference between plagarism and a mistake. It'll probably be some meeting about how to reference properly in future! Fingers crossed :smile:

i really hope so because i am so scared right now, my body cant even function probably, but this is an information meeting with the board so i am really scared
Original post by Gavin2016
Yeah that is best avoided in your final year as marks are worth the most - so depending on what your aiming for? You don't want a bad degree classification of the back of this. Check to see how they calculate it and how it might feature. Try and get lecturer onside if possible after they have spoken to avoid a long drawn out thing. Though if they come down too hard, don't take no sh*t. Go to head of department first as they can have more sway than appeals before the mark becomes official then appeals. Chances are they may have to have a plagiarism board first so meeting with lecturer is just the first step. Possibly lecturer might have not had the time to thoroughly go through it and noticed its more a grammatical error, or might be a just watch out for. Make sure lecturer isn't using it as an excuse to do your degree classification in though as unfortunately how well you get on with lecturers can feature too highly in grade outcomes these days.

all i can do is finger cross and hope for the best, and this is an "informal meeting" with the academic integrity co-coordinator so i really hope it is my reference mistake because i really don't want to spend an extra year studying
i really hope so because i am so scared right now, my body cant even function probably, but this is an information meeting with the board so i am really scared

I know that feeling, I get it multiple times a day over stupid, minimal stuff! It really sucks man, it ruined my Christmas being in tear-ridden anxiety and stress. When is the meeting and can you not phone up the uni to get more info?
I know that feeling, I get it multiple times a day over stupid, minimal stuff! It really sucks man, it ruined my Christmas being in tear-ridden anxiety and stress. When is the meeting and can you not phone up the uni to get more info?

no sadly i just received the email today about it, and the meeting is next friday so i still have to go through a week of stress, and i have emailed the student union but the fastest they will reply to me is probably monday? but do you mind telling me the outcome of your meeting?
no sadly i just received the email today about it, and the meeting is next friday so i still have to go through a week of stress, and i have emailed the student union but the fastest they will reply to me is probably monday? but do you mind telling me the outcome of your meeting?

I've never had a meeting about plagarism mate, haven't had problems with it or anything like that. I meant, you're not alone with how stressed you're getting. The only thing I can think is, dont stress about it now. You can't do ANYTHING until next Friday by the sound of things, try and chill this weekend then get down to it on Monday. I know it is easier said than done, and I have tried forgetting for a bit ad it failed, but you maybe more mentally strong than me!
I've never had a meeting about plagarism mate, haven't had problems with it or anything like that. I meant, you're not alone with how stressed you're getting. The only thing I can think is, dont stress about it now. You can't do ANYTHING until next Friday by the sound of things, try and chill this weekend then get down to it on Monday. I know it is easier said than done, and I have tried forgetting for a bit ad it failed, but you maybe more mentally strong than me!

thanks man, i really appreciate that support guess i just have to do something to distract me ! haha
thanks man, i really appreciate that support guess i just have to do something to distract me ! haha

Alcohol my friend, nothing beats numerous JD's and coke's :biggrin: Let us know how it goes mate, I'm sure it'll be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending